Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    TripleB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    My son, 8 years old/4th grade, is getting ready to finish the Heroes of Olympus series of books (has gone through Harry Potter series and Percy Jackson series).

In order to "broaden" the types of books he reads (he wants to start the Fablehaven series next) I would sort of like to throw a 'Western' or 'Historical Fiction' book in there for him to try.

So, are there any fiction books about 'the Wild West' or 'Historical Fiction' books you can recommend that would be on his reading level with appropriate content?

Thank you very much for any and all helpful advice!

TripleB

P
    P
    I don't have any western recommendations, but fwiw, the Fablehaven series was extremely popular here when kids were at the Percy Jackson/etc stage smile

polarbear

C
    C
    DS9 was given some Louis L'Amour books (rather, loaned, as his likely PG uncle is attached to them). He seems to like them, although he picks the Warrior cat series over them.

I
    I
    Oscar's Gift, by Lisa Rivero, a former board member of SENG, and author of several homeschooling books.

The book is based on her Aunt Hattie's Diaries... more about them on Lisa Rivero's website.

My DD was 8 when she discovered, on her own, "The Missing," an 8-book series by Margaret Peterson Haddix, and she gave them rave reviews... even made me read one. It involves time travel and the kidnapping (and attempts to restore) of famous children throughout history.

C
    C
    I have read some Elmer Kelton and liked it a lot. Not sure if all the content is age appropriate (I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just not sure). But he is a highly regarded western writer.

By the Great Horn Spoon by Sid Fleischman was one that my DD enjoyed after we visited the site of Sutter's Mill on the American River in Coloma this past summer.

Last edited by madeinuk; 09/18/15 10:25 AM.

Become what you are
    I'm wondering about Call of the Wild, and White Fang (Jack London)? Pretty intense in parts (which is actually sort of honest since the west pretty violent). But I remember my brother loving them when he was 9-ish.

C
    C
    Jack London short stories are also great. I liked "To build a fire".

My DD enjoyed call of the Wild and White Fang a couple of years ago too as did I as a boy! Definite thumbs up on those. LouisL'Amour I enjoyed as a boy too - I liked his narrative style and he covered some interesting times and perspectives on those times. It was from a Louis L'Amour book, I forget which one, that I dscovered the word Java to mean coffee so it is a far from 'new' term.

In fact, I can say that Louis L'Amour books and learning about the Louisiana Purchase and subsequent Lewis and Clark Expedition at school at around 9 or 10 that triggered my interest in the history of the Old West - an interest that I still have :-)

On my life bucket list is a horse camping elk hunt in Colorado so that I can ride some of the trails that I read so much about - and get some quality meat too. Elk meat is pukka tucker indeed. But I digress...

Last edited by madeinuk; 09/18/15 12:08 PM.

Become what you are

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM