Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    ultramarina #222446 09/17/15 07:33 AM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    She is having intrusive thoughts as well as obsessions centering around worry about harm coming to loved ones and her own physical health. She does not have any compulsive behaviors, other than asking for reassurance. I did not understand that this could be OCD at all. The suggestion was made by her therapist especially after a battery suggested cause for concern in this area, and discussion with DD has revealed that this is happening a lot, inside her head.

This and your subsequent post also fits my dd12 to a 'T'. She has seen a CBT and her opinion these things were caused by dd's anxiety.

ultramarina #222447 09/17/15 07:37 AM
    M
    M
    I hope you don't mind my threadjacking to ask, dd12 has no official diagnosis of anxiety, she was just seeing a CBT. Are medical insurance companies more likely to cover neuropsych evals for anxiety, OCD, possible ADHD or CAPD diagnosing?

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 09/17/15 07:38 AM.
    eco21268 #222449 09/17/15 07:51 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    She was screened with a computer screener for ADHD as part of a CAPD eval at age 8 (passed both eval and screener with flying colors). She was eval'ed for depression and anxiety at age 9 and was borderline for both, more diagnosable on anxiety. With this new practice, we all completed multiple screeners for ADHD (we requested this particularly) depression, anxiety, apparently OCD, and who even knows what else. Kit and caboodle, seemed like. They were not convinced by these results to do an ADHD eval, but said they'd get to know her better and see whether it seemed indicated. We had one appointment where she looked COMPLETELY ADHD to me so maybe they'll do one now!
    I thought of something else: my DS also passed the computerized ADHD thing with flying colors in second grade (during regular psych eval).

Nobody in their right mind could argue that DS isn't extraordinarily impaired in executive function--he takes 10 minutes to put on a sock, for instance. No matter what I do. It is the most pronounced feature of his ASD so neuropsych retained ADHD diagnosis.

A girl with ADHD-I (without impulsivity/hyperactivity) is likely to just look like a space cadet. Teachers really only seem to express concern when there are disruptive classroom behaviors associated. My DS doesn't have hyperactivity but is *kind of* (not terribly) impulsive, in that he will interrupt/blurt/talk too much. I think that is really more a social skill thing for him than impulsivity, though.

DD passed the computerized ADHD test as well, which surprised me, because she can be (and usually is) incredibly unfocused doing any kind of school work, playing a game, doing a chore, etc. Neuropsych explained that the test is in a very controlled environment unlike real life, and I'm guessing an ADHD child could pass it just by putting in a lot of effort for that short period of time. She is so unfocused that yesterday i think the school actually got a para into the classroom to sit with her and help her get through assessments. At school, she holds herself together long enough that she doesn't come across as a behavior problem. She is up and wandering a lot though, and fidgeting (she has combined type). The fact that she is not a behavior problem has made it difficult for us to get the school to take the issue seriously, esp. since she can pass their reading/math standardized tests.

To whomever asked about neuropsych evals, we have had two different insurance providers that would not cover this for ADHD (or even ASD). They DID cover it when DS had a traumatic brain injury. I got the school district to pay for a neuropsych eval for DD (I had to let them do--and mess up--their own eval first).

ultramarina #222450 09/17/15 08:29 AM
    L
    L
    Speaking of obsessions, I am "obsessing" about this potential dx a little myself. frown (Not really. But I am really worrying about it. Some of the articles and info I found are really scary and distressing. If anyone has any success stories, it would help right now. I feel terrible for my DD. I didn't know that this was at this level inside her brain. frown )
    I was a gifted child with these issues (complicated by having a younger sister with a chronic, terminal illness) and am now a mother to DD6 who is showing signs of severe anxiety, now showing OCD behaviors. So weighing in here with sympathy and also some hope. Despite a chaotic and rough childhood, my anxiety issues weren't diagnosed until I was married and living far away from family and basically stopped functioning. After a few years of therapy I am now comfortable saying I can control the anxiety and intrusive thoughts better than I had ever even hoped possible. I can't stress the benefits of therapy enough. Yoga has helped a lot as well. I have to make decompression and spending time being mindful of my health and the good things around me a part of my routine in order to keep myself from fraying at the edges. Fighting off the intrusive thoughts can be exhausting, so rest and trying to maintain enough peace in the midst of a pretty chaotic life is important as well.

DD's anxiety has been something we've tried to manage but not pathologize over the past few years. Unfortunately as the recent school year began it got much worse, and the OCD stuff became disruptive and distressing enough that I've now made her an appointment with a therapist recommended by my own. I am struggling with the mom guilt stuff (I caused this. I should be able to help her.) but am hopeful that by seeking help now, we can give her the tools she needs. smile

ultramarina #222455 09/17/15 09:42 AM
    E
    E
    The psych who gave DS that test attributed his acing it to his slow processing speed, which he attributed to perfectionism.

Um, no...I wish...a little perfectionism would be welcomed over here. smile

mountainmom2011 #222456 09/17/15 09:44 AM
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by mountainmom2011
    I hope you don't mind my threadjacking to ask, dd12 has no official diagnosis of anxiety, she was just seeing a CBT. Are medical insurance companies more likely to cover neuropsych evals for anxiety, OCD, possible ADHD or CAPD diagnosing?
    I paid for DS neuropsych because it was out of network. I think, but am not sure, insurance would have paid with referral from pediatrician or psychologist.

Medicaid will pay for a NP exam in my state, with just a master's level referral.

ultramarina #222457 09/17/15 10:07 AM
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    We were advised that we would likely have trouble getting the ADHD eval covered based on where we are at this point. CAPD eval was covered, interestingly enough.

The person DD HAS NOT seen for sure is a neuropsych. This is a psychology practice she is at now. But they are located in a university hospital and highly tied in with resources. I feel like we are going around the mulberry bush, and I already did pay $400 for the initial consult here. I probably should have just gone to a neuropsych first, but I have always felt and still feel that she could get 5 different diagnoses from 5 different people (I still feel this) and what we really need is strategies.

DD is absolutely not a behavior problem at school EXCEPT that she can be a little chatty and impulsive when with her BFFs, but this seems more neurotypical than many of her behaviors! DD is also a straight A student and not perceived as having problems with anything by teachers, although she is struggling somewhat with the transition to middle school.

ultramarina #222458 09/17/15 10:33 AM
    B
    B
    If the teachers don't have concerns about focus it is probably not ADHD. A kid can have EF weaknesses without having ADHD. i have report cards dating back to preschool with the word "focus" (or variations thereof) repeated over and over and over.

ultramarina #222459 09/17/15 10:39 AM
    S
    S
    FWIW, depending on severity, OCD can interfere with attention and EF.

If this is a newer development, you might also consider the can of worms that is PANS/PANDAS, whereby inflammation (whether autoimmune and/or infectious) is thought to be at the root of the OCD/anxiety. It is controversial and the exact mechanism is not well understood.

snowgirl #222460 09/17/15 10:42 AM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by snowgirl
    FWIW, depending on severity, OCD can interfere with attention and EF.

If this is a newer development, you might also consider the can of worms that is PANS/PANDAS, whereby inflammation (whether autoimmune and/or infectious) is thought to be at the root of the OCD/anxiety. It is controversial and the exact mechanism is not well understood.

Yeah has she had strep throat or another infection of note preceding the beginning of this?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM