Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    FYI, it should not take weeks to schedule a reconvene on an active IEP, especially when you are describing nightly emotional distress of this intensity. In our building, it's more like days. Or as soon as the parent can come in. Definitely rope a school mental health professional into this (psych, SAC, SW, GC).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    An update to this gripping human drama. smile

DS had a good day on Wednesday. The LA teacher met one on one with him and they agreed on some accommodations. He can write his stories about animals, and can talk about the animals needs (food, clean water, shelter, avoiding predators) rather than human emotions. DS is still struggling a bit, but overall this is a big win and I am starting to like this LA teacher.

Yesterday was not as good, but wasn't necessarily that bad either.

During morning announcements, DS heard an announcement for a club for a particular type of student. He became upset and left the classroom, because he thought it was discriminatory. He never went to any class all day, and stayed in the office. He did manage to do some assignments, so he didn't have too much homework last night. But he missed a lot of in-class instruction again.

The assistant principal was very understanding. This guy used to be the school psychologist and seems to get 2e. No punishments or repercussions for his behavior.

I actually praised him last night because he didn't get upset, shout or yell at anyone. He remained calm and non-confrontational. This is a step in the right direction. I wish he'd stop missing class, but at least we didn't have another meltdown.

One day at a time.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by BSM
    I actually praised him last night because he didn't get upset, shout or yell at anyone. He remained calm and non-confrontational. This is a step in the right direction. I wish he'd stop missing class, but at least we didn't have another meltdown.

One day at a time.
    Yup. smile

P
    P
    Originally Posted by BSM
    Puffin - he has anxiety even faking the writing or trying to pretend he's someone else. He is very literal and cannot "deceive" himself like that. Hope that makes sense.

This morning he told me that he anxiety is because his writing "is not good enough" and that "the teacher will judge me."

We know that's not true, but such is the nature of childhood anxiety - you can't just snap yourself out of it.

I understand. I was lucky enough to go to school at a time when personal felings weren't of great interest to teachers. Not always lucky but mostly.

Originally Posted by BSM
    Puffin - he has anxiety even faking the writing or trying to pretend he's someone else. He is very literal and cannot "deceive" himself like that. Hope that makes sense.

I was thinking his LA teacher could suggest he interview (anonymously) some friends and maybe make a compilation of the answers of all of them to become a whole.

I like that the LA teacher has allowed him to write about animals though if he's uncomfortable writing about human emotion in general.

B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    As of yesterday LA was going fine but now there is an issue in art. His classroom has an aide (probably because of the 12 kids there are 4 boys on IEPs including DS). This individual referred to DS as "obnoxious" to his face. Apparently this happened a while ago, but now DS has been refusing to work with her. He seems ok with the teacher though. Yesterday he got upset at the aide and the assistant principal had to come by to get him to go back in the classroom and finish his work.

Obnoxious. Seriously. WTH.

The battle continues...

E
    E
    Originally Posted by BSM
    Obnoxious. Seriously. WTH.
    That is disgusting, especially since clearly your DS is sensitive (mine would probably say, "well...I guess I *am* obnoxious..." Not to imply it would be okay, anyhow, I'm just thinking I'd never hear about it.)

Does the aide have any disability awareness training? I think that would qualify as harassment/hostile learning environment. Ugh.

B
    BSM Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Does the aide have any disability awareness training? I think that would qualify as harassment/hostile learning environment. Ugh.

I'm going to think this one through over the weekend so that I don't have a knee-jerk response.

Sure, DS can be obnoxious, but that's not the point - school staff should act like nurturing adults not children.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by BSM

I'm going to think this one through over the weekend so that I don't have a knee-jerk response.

Sure, DS can be obnoxious, but that's not the point - school staff should act like nurturing adults not children.
    Part of the problem is that the paraprofessional positions are low paid and don't require much of anything in terms of credentials. At least that is true here.

P
    P
    Did the aide say he was being obnoxious or was obnoxious. Small diference in words big difference in meaning and intent.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM