Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 260 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #222049 09/09/15 05:53 AM
    OP Offline
    Thanks to everyone on this board who helped me sort out what was what with iep vs. 504, earlier this summer.

It was a bit of a flurry towards the end of the summer, with the school, but they seemed to do a good job of moving quickly.

At one point mid summer it looked pretty hopeless - no way they'd have anything in place on the first day of school, since they stated they did not have enough psychologists to assign one to do all the required testing.

At one point I just quietly said, "hm, well that doesn't seem fair to him".
    After that, the ball really started rolling: the counselor emailed me a week or so later and said that instead of another round of testing, they'd just use the very thorough assessment done by our doctor to make a determination of ds' eligibility for services.
    Whew.

A couple weeks later we had an eligibility meeting, and discussions of potential areas where they could do things for him to even the playing field...and literally the friday before start of school, we met to iron out the particulars of his iep.

Week one of school was pretty good, too, according to ds.
    The classes are not overwhelming, a few are co-taught with a special ed support person right in the class the entire time, but moving at the same pace as a general ed class. And he has 1 class every morning where he gets instruction on organization, social skills, etc. He is fitting in a couple of pre-ap courses and feeling pretty ok about the whole thing.

On paper, it looks like a lot of stuff he needs to challenge his gifted side and a lot of stuff he needs to keep from falling off the track due to his add and aspergers.

Anyway, huge relief, although I know there will be plenty of challenges nonetheless.

E
    E
    Wonderful! Well done. I hope your DS has a great year.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    On paper, it looks like a lot of stuff he needs to challenge his gifted side and a lot of stuff he needs to keep from falling off the track due to his add and aspergers.
    That's the essence of a good plan. It's so great to hear that the school worked to get things in place for the start of the year. Things go so much more smoothly for everyone that way.

D
    D
    Tremendous. With the right supports, these kids grow by leaps and bounds, and it is a pleasure to watch.

Congratulations!

B
    BSM Offline
    B
    Congratulations. But be sure to watch the school. Even with an IEP in place they do not always follow it, and they might not be able to "think on their feet" for situations not specifically laid out in the IEP.

OP Offline
    @BSM - thanks, yes, I will do that, I've already had a couple of doubtful moments. In geometry he was paired with someone who was zipping through something (incorrectly) and although we caught it before he handed the same paper in a day or so later, I did let him know to tell me if that keeps happening (that is pretty much the exact opposite of what he should be having to deal with).

thanks all for the good thoughts! smile

Last edited by chris1234; 09/11/15 10:30 AM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM