Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    My kids both cry from frustration or things they view as unfair. It did improve for our oldest, but our youngest is a work in progress.

He told me a few weeks ago that he was playing kickball at school and felt that the kid who rolled the ball rolled it bouncy instead of smooth on purpose. He got out and he said instead of crying in front of everyone, he went somewhere else to do it.

His gifted math teacher told us she has more than a few criers in their class. He's in good company, at least. But she said the kids just accept it. They don't make fun or look at them differently. They just get it done, sniff it up, and move on.

As for bugs... my son doesn't worry about bug life at all. He freaks out at anything that creeps or crawls or flies with legs. I am the spider slayer in my house. He is very sensitive about death or animal abuse, though. That week between Christmas and New Years with all of the abused animal commercials really upset him.

I try hard to recognize early signs of frustration and strongly encourage a break from what he's doing before we have a melt down.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Lily1972
    Yes, sounds just like our son - same age of 8.5 years old. Speaking loud is his style, whether he is physically far from a listener, or just an inch away. I believe it is his will to want to be heard and taken seriously at all times................. I will not even mention the books, IPads, flashlights I find in his bed in the morning. Yet, how can I complain about his thirst for knowledge? Good luck and I wish you lots of patience. They grow and change (thankfully) and give us different challenges then.

You made me smile with recognition. Our DS hasn't mastered his "library voice" at all. I'm constantly reminding him to turn down the volume at restaurants. It's a bit concerting when your child's voice is squeezed tight and high-pitched as they try to get to the nth degree of what is being said.

As for the flashlight and books (etc.!!) found in bed the next morning, well...our kids could do a sleep-over in perfect harmony.

Lanie #223125 10/02/15 06:39 PM
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Lanie
    We have the bug issue here also, so I am taking some real comfort from these posts. smile DD6 had trouble sleeping for days after seeing a monarch butterfly die. She kept sobbing that it needed to finish migrating before it was supposed to die. In her mind, the loss of one monarch, too soon, was throwing off the entire balance of the universe.

She has a soft heart like our DS. It's both wonderful and awful, isn't it?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM