Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #221840 09/04/15 08:25 AM
    EmmaL Offline OP
    OP Offline

Last edited by EmmaL; 06/24/16 09:25 PM.
    B
    B
    Is this a private or public school? In the US or other country? What he be taking instead during that period. Perhaps you can push the exemption faster based on the fact that he will be behind in whatever class he is moved to.

A second language isn't even required to graduate from our very rigorous public high school. A large portion of students do take a second language because most 4 year universities require it.

P
    P
    I'm responding with the assumption that this is either a US school or a Canadian school (and if so, things work similarly in Canada re IEP services and accommodations). If not, just ignore my reply smile

Since your ds already has an IEP, it will still be in effect when school starts, up until the time you have your update meeting for this year.

What I would do re the email depends on answers to a few questions:

1) Are the neurospych results and diagnosis new, or have the report and results been used to draw up the IEP in previous years?

2) Is your ds new to this school?

3) Is this an immersion school - and the "third" language is a new added language?

4) Is this a 4-year or 3-year high school program?

As mentioned above by bluemagic, I'd think through what your ds would do in place of the foreign language that he isn't going to take - would it be another class at the school, independent study, study hall, etc - and think through *why* the other options present reasonable or worthwhile alternatives. I'd also maybe think about a loose connection to foreign language - could he perhaps substitute it with a social studies class that dealt with another culture/etc?

I would also prepare a brief explanation of why learning/studying a foreign language can be either difficult or time-consuming for a student with a receptive/expressive language disorder, list how it will specifically challenge your ds (and it's ok if the challenge is nothing other than the amount of time it will take is too much in combination with all of his other coursework - but if you can be more specific re "it takes twice as long for ds to finish x task as a neurotypical student" or "ds' expressive language challenge makes it difficult for him to ...." etc - show how it is directly related to the class subject or how it impacts your ds' schedules as a whole. Whatever the specifics, just be sure to state the specifics. Data always helps too - not just the neuropsych report, but if you have past homework/classwork examples or if you can collect any kind of "data" yourself at home by asking your ds to perform specific tasks related to the challenge and measuring his performance.

I hope that makes sense!

Best wishes,

polarbear

P
    P
    Actually, I re-looked at your email and had missed something that was stated - he already has an accommodation that allows him to not take a third language - so I'd recommend thinking through all those things I said above, but also sending the email today but state it this way:

"It was a pleasure to speak with you yesterday. I have attached DS14's neuro-psyche results. DS14 was diagnosed with a DSM IV 315.32 Mixed Receptive-Expressive Language Disorder, by Hx. DS14's current IESP exempts him from a third language, but he is scheduled to take "xxx" in addition to "xxx". I suspect this is simply an oversight. Will his schedule be updated to follow his IEP before school starts on "xxx".

If we need to meet prior to the start of school in order to make this change, please let me know a date/time you are available to meet. If a meeting isn't possible at this point in time, we can discuss the schedule change via phone conference.

Thank you,

YOU"

polarbear

ps - I would leave out your current ending: "We all know DS14 is smart and capable; however, he does have a disability protected under the IDEA Act that XYZ school should reasonably accommodate."

IF you don't get an appropriate response to your request of a schedule change, then I'd use the part of the sentence addressing IDEA in a follow-up reply. I wouldn't mention the smart and capable part - as you said, everyone knows that already. Just focus on the disability and his legal rights.

Last edited by polarbear; 09/04/15 11:24 AM.
    Q
    Q
    Unless I am missing something, it should not be a problem to remove the 3rd language from your DS' schedule if you provide explicit authorization not holding the school responsible. Your school already has a policy of exempting some students from a 3rd language and your DS has a medical opinion specifically exempting him. It may be an issue of the school protecting itself against future complaints from parents who felt their children were cheated out of the full curricular experience or whose children end up not comparing favorably against classmates who complete the full curriculum.

S
    S
    I would tread carefully for several reasons. This is a private school and they do not abide by IDEA at all (they are not legally required to) only ADA. ADA is an access law and that is all. You can take your IEP and throw it out the window. If they want that class to be required for every student it 100% can be. You will need to think about this differently and be prepared with what your son would need to access the material in the third language class. This way, if they do require it you are prepared to advocate for your child. Out of curiosity, how did your son do in the first two language courses? What makes the third course drastically different? Also, why was the diagnosis by history? Have the previous deficits been remediated?

P
    P
    Does he have to attend this school? The hours seem crazy long and adding in the commute and homework he will have no time to have an actual life.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM