Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    H
    H
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Originally Posted by howdy
    Does anyone have any ideas on what alternatives there are to recess detention? I still see these types of detention in our schools too.

To the OP, one thing I have noticed is that the first couple days of school can be very stressful for children. They are BOMBARDED with the rules from each classroom that they go to, and it seems like teachers really lay it on thick to try to be serious about it. I wish that this year I had warned my kids about this so they would have had a better first day. If they knew that it was just something the teachers HAD to do at the beginning of the year, I think they would be less stressed about it.

Agreed re: teachers coming down harder at the beginning of the year. I have tried to let our kids know to expect this, and also to know that they should be especially careful to follow classroom rules at the start (not that they can break them later, but that they need to make a good first impression).

Came across this article, which seems pretty logical to me. Caveat, I'm not a teacher, although I'm from a family of teachers.

http://www.nea.org/tools/10-approaches-to-better-discipline.html

Thanks, that does have several good ideas. I do wish they were explained better, but definitely a good resource.

C
    C
    The only time someone should be in "time out" from recess is if ON the playground there is a behavioral situation and the monitors need to separate, calm down, discuss choices/options available and make a plan with a specific child and then send them right back out to try the plan out.

I don't think that needs to be punitive either...more like a regrouping. Recess "pause in playing" for a child should be related to recess problem. Not a homework problem.

G
    G
    Check your district wellness policy. Ours prohibits holding a kid in from recess as a discipline strategy.

For the kid that's on an IEP, work to get this discipline approach covered by her accommodations. http://www.wrightslaw.com/blog/?p=5338 I googled "alternatives to recess detention" and found a number of ideas. Some good, some terrible. Focus on the ones that are not punitive.

U
    U
    Unfortunately, withholding recess is as "discipline" is standard where I live--not just for individual kids, but often for entire classes. It is also done when classes have not "been getting enough work done" (read: teachers are panicked about standardized testing). I hate it so much.

G
    G
    Our teachers do the same. Then I bring up the district's own policy. Many of the teachers I've discussed this with genuinely had no idea... It's worth a look. wink I'd say it's been about 50-50 whether or not a teacher is willing to alter the approach in light of the policy.

C
    C
    It is unfortunately common at our private school as well. We did have some luck when discussing it with individual teachers, though.

I suspect that there are so few "fun" things to take away, it can seem/be an effective technique.

S
    S
    I wonder if it's partially a 5th grade "toughen them up for middle school" thing. My DD10 went off to school all smiles and excitement and came home in tears. Evidently, the teacher spent the entire time talking about the classroom rules. What she came home with today:

"We have to take PARCC and NJAsk Science this year."

"She gives detentions."

"The other 5th grade class got to play games."

ETA: not that it's OK. I'm pretty annoyed.

Last edited by staceychev; 09/03/15 02:55 PM.

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    E
    E
    My mother taught in the early '60s, in the south. She said the common wisdom was "don't smile until Thanksgiving."

C
    C
    We had to get 'not being kept in at recess to finish work' put in DS9's IEP to prevent it. This past year involved a number of interesting conversations with the teacher who kept violating that condition wherein she described it not as punitive, but as motivating. Sure. I suspect she's not the only teacher with that fascinating interpretation.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM