Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    In the iep under present levels of performance there should be a spot for test scores, narrative from teachers,AND parent information....I would absolutely have one big conniption fit and would speed dial the state ESE department if they refused to put the scores at least under the parent information (and they worded it to my satisfaction). I would call them and say...I am sitting at an iep meeting and they refuse to document a test score from a liscensed psychologist on his IEP and deny that his GIEP of 130 is note worthy enough to be considered when planning and programming for him. Why does the form ask for parent input if they refuse to document my input?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Actually, the cognitive assessment test scores (most recent, and any significant historical scores) should be documented under Student Strengths and Key Evaluation Findings, right after the Parent Concerns section, and before the Vision.

Academic assessments, formal and informal, should be documented both under key evaluations and the relevant present levels of performance.

Also under parent concerns should be your concern that his advanced intellectual and academic needs be met, both for their own sake, and because inappropriate instructional levels contribute to his behavior.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    It is just wrong to say he can't be in it because he's not neurotypical. I'm sorry, it's wrong and it's discrimination and waiting around hoping they will realize the error of their ways probably won't help. They do not want him because he has autistim. Period. It's as offensive to me as if they had said "we don't accept girls because, well, girls are silly and they'll be too distracting to the boys" or based on his race or nationality. They do not want kids with disabilities in their ATP. That will not change anytime soon. They are just hoping you will forget it and go away quietly. And yeah it may not be enough or at the level at which he needs but it is better than nothing... For my son - it's a break from the mundane twice a week (which he has very much needed and he is with others more like him. It'd probably be so good for your son. I'd push for it. And I wouldn't let some one get away with discriminating against my child because he has dysgraphia (or adhd or autism ) - not without a fight anyway. If he finds that he does not like it he can leave the program, but he should be given the opportunity to try it and not denied because they don't like kiddos with disabilities.

Last edited by Irena; 09/02/15 07:35 PM.
    N
    N
    So they have all kinds of kids like him, but they've never had a K student in gifted before? Obviously they don't have all kinds of kids like him, then.

One thing many people don't understand is that while 90% is ten out of 100, and 99% is one out of 100, >99.9% can be anything from one in 1000 to one in a million or more. They may see other kids with scores that top out the tests, but once you top out, there's no differentiation between "barely" and "over the moon". And an "over the moon" kid demonstrably needs different things to thrive than a "barely" kid.

We were fortunate to have teachers, starting in preschool, who recognized that DS was something they had never seen in all their years of teaching -- partly because he wandered around the preschool reading absolutely everything to them, and had no filter to tell him not to. smile

P
    PanzerAzelSaturn
    Unregistered
    PanzerAzelSaturn
    Unregistered
    P
    Thanks so much everyone, especially aeh for your expertise in how this should look in the IEP. Now I know exactly what to ask for. Like I said, for now I'm going to drop the idea of getting him in the actual gifted program. Not only do I want to stay on their good side at the moment as far as remaining in regular ed goes, but I also think the gifted program sounds horrible.

Honestly, who would want to be found gifted in the district? Extra essay writing sounds like punishment for any child. I get the feeling the program is filled with a few high achievers and the actual gifted population is languishing in regular programming because they aren't the perfect high achieving bum smoochers the district is looking for in their elite programming. I was actually told that the gifted programmer is "very intense" and that she has very strong ideas about how her program should be run. It sounded like the people at the meeting were afraid to mess with her or suggest anything to her or send her a child who disrupted her perfect life. Whatever.

The teacher is willing to differentiate regardless of the IEP, but I still want this stuff in there in case, for whatever reason, she is not able to do so often enough or effectively enough. I don't feel like it should be all on her either. She also mentioned to me that she has no idea what to do for him right now because she can't think of any way to differentiate the counting to 10 that the kids are currently working on. I noticed on Wednesday that she was asking DS some harder questions during circle, like what is the word for animals that sleep during the day. Of course before he answered another kid called it out :P

Yesterday was another good day for him. Apparently everything was going really well until the end when another kid took a toy from DS and when DS tried to take it back the boy hit him. After that was resolved DS went back to playing with the toy. A little later the teacher called for clean up, which DS apparently did not hear. A girl came over and started putting away his toy and he flipped out. I think that the earlier incident still had him upset.

Overall I am very happy with how he is doing and so is the teacher. I asked her yesterday if she thought that regular ed would work out for him and she said yes, he's doing great for only 3 days into the school year. The first day everyone was sure it was not going to work out. I almost pulled him out of school. Glad I decided to give it at least a week and see if he improved!

Another interesting thing. I expected there would be an aide in the classroom, but there is only the one teacher. 3 of the kids have PCA's, my son and another boy for behavior and one girl for medical needs. I believe there are 26 kids in the class (or was it 28?) Whatever the number is, the teacher told me the class is full. I was asking her whether she had a high number of kids who need extra help this year or if her current class is typical now that inclusion rates are up. She said in prior years they would keep one class at 20 students (which was rotated each year between the teachers and contained all of the kids who needed extra help) and they would use the extra space for mainstreaming. She said they have no space and cannot mainstream this year (She actually said there is a waiting list for K, how does that even work?) But I'm wondering if they fought so hard to keep DS in the special ed classroom because it's currently not full and they have no space in regular ed? I'm also wondering about the whole "mainstreamed for 20% of the day" thing that was included in the original NOREP. Were they ever planning on doing that? I think I now know why they were so insistent that it be during specials like lunch, recess, and music. They never intended to mainstream him in the actual typical classroom. It's a miracle these people managed to hire a good teacher. She also gives the kids playtime, although it's currently not supposed to be in the districts K curriculum. So glad we got her!

Last edited by PanzerAzelSaturn; 09/04/15 09:53 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM