Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    L
    L
    My DS and DD love the Zita the Spacegirl series, the Warriors graphic novels (there are regular long novels, too; it's clans of cats), Amelia Rules, anything by Raina Telgemeier, Transformers GN series. There's a cool GN version of A Wrinkle in Time. Via recommendation on a Zita book review, we found a series that starts with "The Search for WondLa" that isn't GN but has cool art at each chapter start; great read-aloud fun.

E
    E
    Ooh, yes, DS7 loved the GN version of A Wrinkle in Time - I'd forgotten that one.

Again, more of a girl book, but I Am Princess X is sort of a hybrid between a graphic novel and a chapter book that might appeal.

Logicomix was one that my DD enjoyed and understood a surprising amount of.

Some of the others listed above may find their way under the Christmas tree this year so keep them coming folks!

Last edited by madeinuk; 09/03/15 04:03 AM.

Become what you are
    C
    C
    All the Geronimo Stilton books are still a huge hit with DS9... although he's been reading at a much higher level for years, he loves these and always wants the new ones as soon as they hit the library's shelves. DS5 doesn't read yet but loves the pictures.

E
    E
    My DD loved the Percy Jackson graphic novels--I have resisted graphic novels, generally, but decided I was being stubborn. She has pretty severe amblyopia and is quite far-sighted and I think reading is tiring for her. Somehow the graphic format seems to help with engagement.

L
    L
    Speaking of Geronimo Stilton, there is a Kingdom of Fantasy series that appeals to those who want a longer read, like my DS. Same format, but much thicker books. They also have an actual graphic novel series for Geronimo Stilton as well as Thea Stilton, not just the pictures with visual text books, published by Papercutz.

LAF Offline

We pick this up for DD9 after finding it here.She like.I also pickup Indian in a Cupboard that was liked.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. DS10, and DD7, hoovered up the Bone series and the Olympians. I've begun strewing the others (can't figure out why The Warriors didn't get picked up immediately) and enjoying my own online comic fix(!).

DS10 has also been reading The Elsewhere Chronicles, which he says is similar to Amulet. I found a graphic version of The Golden Compass today, no reviews yet but it looked intriguing.

LAF, that article was really interesting, thank you. I've been trying to track down some of the works it referenced, so far unsuccessfully but I haven't put much elbow grease into it yet.

D
    D
    Mine are crazy about Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales. The Donner Dinner Party is in heavy rotation.
    They also enjoy "The Brilliant World of Tom Gates."

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM