Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 88 of 102 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 101 102
    C
    C
    DS4 has told us he wants to stay with us forever. We have told him that's fine. (I figure he can always change his mind later).

BTW ... "You know you're parenting a gifted child when ..."

You pick up your 3 year old at daycare and he is building a model of the Petronas Towers out of bristle blocks.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Grandma asks DS3.75 his opinion of Magic School Bus books and he replies, "They were appropriate for me when I was two, but they're too simplistic now and the stories are namby-pamby."

DS has also been enjoying pretending to be a volcanologist lately and was using the term "pyroclastic surge" at an intersection on our walk to the library at 9:30pm. Both of those things got a few odd stares.

Star Wars is eminently quotable in our house. We are nerds.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    My DS7 has also told us he's never moving out, and has asked us several times which universities and colleges are close by. DH keeps trying to convince him he'll eventually need or want to move out - I just figure (hope?) he'll change his mind when he's ready.

However DD10 excitedly tells us of all the places she's going to visit when she's old enough and all the pets she's going to buy when she moves out. LOL

Aquinas - LOL about the Magic School Bus books. My kids also outgrew them early - but not that early.

And try as I might, my kids steadfastly refuse to watch Star Wars - because, you know - it's about a _war_!

When your teen explains that all of that time, when she was smirking and seemingly "somewhere else" while being yelled at, lectured to, etc. etc. as a young child, she was actually playing this GAME... with the speech of others...

and proceeds to describe this point scoring system that is a bit like, well-- Scrabble-meets-anagrams, with scoring based upon consonant/vowel combinations and repetition. Only she was doing it in real time with the words that other people were using in speech-- sort of like a super-synesthesia based on her spelling prowess and untouchable processing speed.

"So really, when I explained that I wasn't smirking AT you, I meant it-- I was just thinking 'Wow-- a FIVE! That word was a FIVE! It's not often that you hear a word that is a five-- most excellent...'"

and then she also describes a game of pretend with a laser network imagined in a real room that she had to mentally map and navigate.

Sigh. No wonder time-out was never terribly effective with this one.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by Can2K
    My DS7 has also told us he's never moving out, and has asked us several times which universities and colleges are close by. DH keeps trying to convince him he'll eventually need or want to move out - I just figure (hope?) he'll change his mind when he's ready.

LOL. My DD10 had her own existential crisis over moving out at about the same age. I think it was triggered by the fact that we'd just skipped her a year, and she translated that into us hurrying her through school and out the door. She saw it as a year of lost childhood. We recognized that, even though we're talking about her as an adult, we were speaking to her then as a small child, with the fears and uncertainties associated with that, so we were the ones who talked about which universities were close by, how a lot of young, working adults are staying at home these days for financial reasons, etc. DD then began taking note of how many houses were available for lease or sale within our neighborhood, and that seemed to relax her. She decided she's going to live next door (or as close to it as practicable) when she moves out at all.

I'm sure that how she feels about it at 18 will be different from how she felt at 8, but we'll worry about that then.

On the other hand... this IS the girl who, just yesterday, declared to me, "I'm never going to be a responsible adult." This led me to pointing out how she's already a very responsible child. I worked from home yesterday to take DW to a medical procedure, and we left DD behind to continue her online lessons. I used that as an example of how responsible she is, rhetorically asking, "What did you do when we left you alone?"

Her response, without missing a beat, "I ate chips and watched cartoons." cool

G
    G
    A few years back, my DS made plans to move out when he got older. He told us he was going to marry one of his friends, live in a castle, and keep 18 chihuahuas. I told him to not expect us to visit.

Last edited by George C; 09/02/15 08:53 AM.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by George C
    A few years back, my DS made plans to move out when he got older. He told us he was going to marry one of his friends, live in a castle, and keep 18 chihuahuas. I told him to not expect us to visit.

His plan and your reply are equally funny.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by George C

I would totally visit. And laugh my socks off.

Her response, without missing a beat, "I ate chips and watched cartoons." cool

Haw!

Adulthood is way over rated IMO

Become what you are
    D
    D
    I decided to spend some time drawing with my DS4 this morning. I drew a horse because that's the thing I'm best at drawing (I was obsessed with them when I was little). My son looked at my picture and announced that it was very nice, and almost as good as something my DD6 would draw.

Unfortunately for me, this is pretty accurate. At 6 she draws better than me, and has better penmanship as well.

Page 88 of 102 1 2 86 87 88 89 90 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM