Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    C
    Those miserable, wretched reading logs have terribly affected DS9's love of reading. He now refuses to read anything if he thinks he "has to" (which has taken most fiction out of the mix). After two years of reluctantly tolerating them he started, in grade 2, to pretend he hadn't actually read books I had seen him read because he didn't want to put them in the log. I filled it in the rest of that year, knowing he rarely stopped reading, and then flatly refused to log anything in grades 3 & 4. Damage done, though. DD7, on the other hand, has never met a log she didn't love. Especially the ones with cheap prizes attached (hello summer reading club).

This stuff petered out for our DD in 2nd grade. By then we were only entering about one in every ten books even and eventually we just stopped doing it. Kids that love to read are simply going to be put off when they realise that something fun like reading merely translates into a lot of busywork.

Become what you are
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Kids that love to read are simply going to be put off when they realise that something fun like reading merely translates into a lot of busywork.

Exactly. The problem with my kids at that age was to get them to STOP READING AND GO TO SLEEP!!!* Rebel that I am, I would just fill in the the log with fake or semi-true entries, so as to reduce the grade 2 paperwork burden.

*Really, it's still the problem with two of them at ages 11 and 13.

suevv Offline OP
    OP Offline
    So I feel honor bound to follow up. The other day DS7-second grade brought home "math" homework that was really a writing task. "Write a math story about this picture." Totally easy and DS had a meltdown over it. We got through it, but it was ugly. Had to break the task up. What do you want to say? Ok - let me type that so we can see it. Now we know what you want to say. Let's work on writing it. Bit by bit, we got it on paper. Really painful.

So I emailed teacher about it, and she suggested a meeting. She started by asking me my thoughts, listened, liked the way we solved the problem. Then she OFFERED this: "Look, I just want to know what DS is thinking, what he wants to say about the problem. Whatever it takes. Type it out, print it and tape to the page. Take turns writing words, or letters or whatever. You can even write for him. Just use your judgement about when he's struggling, and what he needs. And thanks for bringing this to my attention. Keep an eye on it and I will, too. But whatever you do - no tears or meltdowns over homework. If that's happening let me know and we'll work it out."

Then she went on to give me a heads up on how the first few weeks have gone for DS, and what a funny, smart guy he is, and how cool it is that he keeps her on her toes. "Still working on a few impulsiveness things - but he's working hard and doing great."

uhhh - uhhhh - uhhh. Flabbergasted. So pleased. Fingers crossed going forward.

Sue
    ETA - I realize this has nothing to do with differentiation. But to have those accommodations and positive comments offered up made me feel optimistic.

Last edited by suevv; 09/11/15 04:27 PM. Reason: extra note re differentiation
    P
    P
    Humongous smiles for you, Sue - what a teacher!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    That is great! Sounds like this teacher is really willing to listen to, respect, and collaborate with families.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by suevv
    I realize this has nothing to do with differentiation. But to have those accommodations and positive comments offered up made me feel optimistic.

Oh, it's differentiation all right. Trying to meet the student's needs as an individual.

Awesome.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by suevv
    I realize this has nothing to do with differentiation. But to have those accommodations and positive comments offered up made me feel optimistic.

It is differentiation of a sort: she's being flexible with the requirements so that she can get what she needs (insight into whether or not he "gets" the thing she's trying to teach) in a way that works for him to produce it. That's a nice start. I'd be hopeful over that.

We only started school on 9/9 so we're less than 2 weeks in and DS is so far happy as a clam, but the sheer volume of coloring sheets that have come home is driving me a little nuts. I'm hoping this is busy work while they do beginning-of-the-year assessments.

Last edited by Aufilia; 09/22/15 04:49 PM.
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM