Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Ours is level 12 on your sixth birthday (will have been at school exatly 12 months as everyone starts on their fifth birthday) so I would say level 5 after a whole year is very low but not unheard of.

If you hold her back no can she skip if she does suddenly surge forward?

Our school year runs Feb-Dec, so she has not been in school for a year yet. It is hard to say how many more levels she might move up over the rest of the school year. The link that ndw provided says level 9 for the end of the year, so she would need to move up 4 more levels.

If we hold her back, it would be very difficult to move her up again. That is part of what is making me hesitant to hold her back. But I really also don't want year 1 to be a huge struggle for her. If only I knew if and when reading might click for her.

D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thank you aeh for taking the time to give such a thorough response. Are the issues with retrieval something that would have an impact on developing early reading skills? Is it something that can be worked on, or would benefit from a bit more time to develop? Or is it something she will learn to accommodate as she learns to read?

I guess for me, repeating K would seem a reasonable idea if the challenges she is facing are age related. Then being older would be a benefit. If they are not age related, then it seems like being older won't really benefit her.

I did have a chance to see her interacting with some of the preschool children recently, and I think she would be okay socially with the repeat in terms of finding some kids she could get on well with.

It seems every time I make my mind up about what I think is best to do, DD says something, or I observe something that starts me thinking the other decision would be better. I am very glad to have an appointment with an educational psychologist tomorrow. Hopefully her advice will help us decide and not just give me more variables to stress over smile

I am also hoping she will have a recommendation of a behavioural optometrist if she thinks it worthwhile to see one. We have seen three different ones between DS and DD, with each having an exam with two different optometrists, and every time they seem to find a problem, but they each recommended different lenses. I just start to wonder how valid the assessments are when they keep coming up with different prescriptions for the kids. Especially as DD is very resistant to the testing, and I would not be very confident in the answers she is giving during the eye exams.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Everything is somewhat developmental. But, within that larger context, retrieval fluency is neurologically-based, so not really something that is essentially age-related. That is, all other things being equal, I don't expect this area to spontaneously catch up to her other neurocognitive skills. (Of course, neurological development is occurring, too, so it's still not impossible that this is asynchrony.)

Yes, it is quite likely to impact early and later reading skills, as well as handwriting, spelling, written expression, and math fact fluency (and downstream math calculations), among other things. Overlearning (many repetitions and additional practice) generally helps the specific skill, but may or may not reduce the effects to the point that there is no noticeable impact, and doesn't really affect underlying retrieval fluency at the neurocognitive level. As she gets older, she may develop her own compensatory strategies. (Many intelligent adults with retrieval vulnerabilities or other processing speed deficits mask the need for additional processing and wait time with various verbal or physical stalling techniques, such as long, meaningless preliminary phrases, pensively tidying stationery supplies before replying, or reflecting/rephrasing the question prior to answering.)

As to the overall question of retention: as I've mentioned before, the research on retention is generally negative or neutral with regard to long-term effects. Avoiding the negative effects appears to be mainly a function of how the family presents it. If you and her other parent can come to a comfortable consensus on your best approximation of what is best for her at this time, and then just move forward with whatever comes, she will most likely take this as a positive experience, regardless of the placement you choose. My personal bias is toward moving forward, rather than repeating, but you know your child better than anyone on this board, and you are also the only ones in a position to influence how she perceives her educational placement, which is the most important factor in whether she experiences it as a good or ill.

So I guess I'm saying, collect as many perspectives as you can, and then just make a decision. (Obviously, following up on any potential learning or sensory problems at the same time.) For your specific child, she will be okay if you're okay.

Last edited by aeh; 08/30/15 06:10 PM. Reason: small clarification, and typo

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    N
    ndw Offline
    N
    I think we can all relate to how hard such decisions are when there is no absolute path to follow. I can't help noting Aeh's comments about the lack of norms on reading fluency for five year olds as most aren't reading yet. Your DD is not long turned five! Most kids starting school are five plus these days although that wasn't the case when I started school when there were lots of four year olds. So your DD is reading at level five at an age when lots of kids are not reading at all. And she may be doing it with more challenges than most kids if she has some retrieval fluency issues. So kudos to your DD. She is doing very well for her age.

If you redo kindergarten she will be with kids who are at the beginning of the learning process again. That isn't necessarily going to provide the atmosphere of challenge she is receiving now.

Like aeh I would err on the side of moving up to year one after next term and give her a chance to make more progress. It will give you a lot more information about her developmental growth in the context of her current peer group. You still have a quarter of the school year to go and kids can change quickly at this age. Try not to churn on the decision if possible. I know how that feels.

D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks ndw and aeh. My partner and I are also leaning toward moving her on. So unless the psychologist raises some major, as of yet unconsidered, issue tomorrow, I think we will commit to that decision and make ourselves positive about it. You are right ndw, there is no point stressing over the decision indefinitely. I just hadn't realised we had to make a final decision this early in the year. But I guess that is for the best too, since we can put our energy into supporting the decision we make rather than worrying about what to do.

P
    P
    I can't get the quote to work sorry.

I thought you were in the US. It is not uncommon for kids to go through those first levels slower then speed up once the hit about level 6 until level 12 or so (at least that is what i was told). It is also quite a reasonable target to go up four levels by december. The kids who are racing ahead will probably slow soon (if not they will just not be given any instruction from my experience).

Do they have composite classes where you are?

D
    Dubsyd Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks for the information about reading levels puffin. It's nice to hear that at least for some kids they start moving through levels faster. Maybe DD will get to level 9 this year. Fingers crossed.

Our school does not use composite classes, so unfortunately that will not be an option.

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    I found this article and it might reassure you a little.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...our-child-s-reading-level_n_7386408.html

N
    ndw Offline
    N
    And this might be helpful as a structured approach to what to look for in reading attainment

http://www.education.vic.gov.au/sch...ine/english/continuum/pages/reading.aspx

C
    C
    FWIW My DS was a later reader than many. Our schools don't do reading levels (well they do, but they don't give out that info to parents so I'm in the dark). I will say that DS wasn't reading in K and barely reading in grade 1 and then average in grade 2 (based on teacher's comments and my own observations). In grade 3 his reading completely took off and he's reading constantly now going into 4.

His teachers up until grade 2 were stressed. His writing has also been an issue and he now has a formal written expression LD diagnosis.

Our schools basically never hold kids back so we were never given that option. It would have been a complete disaster in our case since he's now reading above grade level and I don't think any amount of delay would help with his writing. Of course YMMV. Listen to what they have to say, remediate what you can and follow your gut. Best of luck!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM