Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    D
    D
    You can get an accommodation of an extra set of textbooks if this is a chronic issue.

With you: totally frustrating, this welter of objects.

E
    E
    The extra set of textbooks at home was key for us last year. But make sure you keep track of them at home - we spent a fair amount on lost books, too. (Enough that DD didn't get her allowance for most of the summer while she was paying off the debt.)

E
    OP Offline
    E
    I asked about an extra set of books at our very first 504 meeting years ago and was told NO, the books are very expensive and only a child without legs or arms would be able to get that accommodation. I remember this because I laughed out loud, literally, and immediately knew they thought I was a monster. I wasn't laughing about a child without arms or legs but at this preposterous statement. That was the beginning of my "advocacy journey." Not much talent for it, clearly.

I don't think our district is very good at any of this. I wrote a detailed email to the teacher explaining how this is a good example of DS getting his wires crossed. I got one line back, not very responsive.

I'm looking online to see if we can rent or buy his textbooks. He doesn't know how to open his locker. He doesn't seem to understand any of this. He is really impaired.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    I asked about an extra set of books at our very first 504 meeting years ago and was told NO, the books are very expensive and only a child without legs or arms would be able to get that accommodation. I remember this because I laughed out loud, literally, and immediately knew they thought I was a monster. I wasn't laughing about a child without arms or legs but at this preposterous statement. That was the beginning of my "advocacy journey." Not much talent for it, clearly.

I don't think our district is very good at any of this. I wrote a detailed email to the teacher explaining how this is a good example of DS getting his wires crossed. I got one line back, not very responsive.

I'm looking online to see if we can rent or buy his textbooks. He doesn't know how to open his locker. He doesn't seem to understand any of this. He is really impaired.
    I've found used textbooks online for very inexpensive. Depends on the age of the textbook. Shame they think so little of the idea of supplying an extra text book. This is something our PTA funds for many classes (particularly in junior high) and in most of DS's classes he doesn't need to cart a book back and fourth. Either the teacher never uses the text in class or has classroom copies. This year Spanish is the only class DS needs to cart back & forth to school.

Can you get the textbooks online? Many new textbooks are online but not available for free. Does the school pay for an electronic version? We have this available for all math books in our district.

Last edited by bluemagic; 09/14/15 12:20 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Definitely ask again about textbook access at home. Almost every major publisher has electronic versions of the most current textbooks available online (for a price, of course, but nearly all new textbook acquisitions of any significant volume include electronic access in the district package--which also often has read-aloud built in).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    The one line email I referenced was from history teacher saying the textbook is NOT available online (I asked).

If he doesn't make it home with the book today, I'll email the district 504 coordinator and ask about the extra set of books, before I pay for anything.

He's in seventh grade this year and never managed the locker last year, either. I doubt he'd remember to use it anyhow. In most classes, they aren't using a textbook.

There are kids at this school with IEPs (it's a full service HS with this magnet gifted MS contained) but I'm told it's pretty unusual for the gifted program to have a student with an IEP.

For now, I'm asking (bribing) DD to help DS remember before they get on the bus. Not fair to her, but not sure what else to do for the moment. So DD is DS' para and is implementing the 504 for us. smirk

B
    B
    Have you checked yourself if the history text is online? Check with the publisher.

As for the locker. Is the lock one of those standard rotating locks? If so those are tricky to use. If so and he wants to use his I'd recommend buying a lock at a hardware store to have him practice the technique. You can often get them for under $5. My son doesn't use one and my daughter only rarely used her when she was in H.S. My experience is it depends on the school culture how much they are used and if kids have bulky coats & boots they don't want to lug around all day.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    DS doesn't want to use his locker, and they are allowed to carry their things with them. He lost a coat last year, but we did (eventually) find it. Other than that he's done okay without the locker, but it seems to me like it would be good to know how to use it. He lugs around everything and he's not a big kid.

He did not bring home his book yesterday. Now I will need to take the kids to school early, park and walk in, get the book myself.

The thing that bothers me most is this: DS is on academic probation and will be asked to immediately leave the program if any grade falls below a C, even at quarter. If that happens, I don't have any idea what I'd do with him. He's currently in two MS classes and four HS classes--but he would have to go to a middle school if he's removed. What classes would he even take at that point?

He has As and Bs in all of his classes right now. He can do the academic work at this level. The Bs are because of missing assignments that he forgot. In one class, the B is because they had a "supply check" and he was missing a folder. He's actually only failed to complete one single assignment--and that was in class, not homework. IOW, he's doing a fantastic job in school right now.

The 504 says teacher is supposed to check at the end of class to make sure he has materials. I sent email reminding teacher. DS still doesn't have the book.

The 504 also says teacher is supposed to initial planner.

A couple of weeks ago, we had a similar situation in this class, in which DS hadn't written anything useful in his planner and we couldn't figure out what he was supposed to be doing.

As I'd been instructed to do if there was a 504 issue, I emailed the teacher and cc'd program coordinator saying DS needs to write actual assignments in the planner. This resulted in a backlash.

I think it's only fair that if the teacher makes a mistake, they then extend some grace in DS' direction. IOW, if they misunderstand, or forget to do something in 504--then the countdown on DS' assignment should be extended to reflect the mistake. This is about DS succeeding and not being kicked out of his program, not my being a helicopter parent and wanting him to have straight As. However, the last time this happened (teacher didn't follow 504, IMO), DS' assignment was accepted but counted as late.

It's like the teacher is going to be very rigid on his side of things, but expects me to be flexible about whether or not the 504 is followed.

I have absolutely no desire to be a helicopter. I just want the adults to do what they are supposed to do.

Now I feel like I need to do something about the 504 compliance, even though I just met last week with the teacher in question. I don't think the teacher understands--he's a first year teacher. I also feel like the coordinator (who isn't technically in charge of 504, but acts as a mentor/liaison) is irritated by me.

This was a gigantic problem last year, and is the reason DS is on probation in the first place. He had one class that fell to a D after the last day of school, when the teacher finally graded several assignments and his grade was updated--all due to missing work about which I was not informed.

The high school teachers, who have three times as many students as the middle school ones, are right on top of everything--including communication, gradebook, planner.

Sorry for the length. I'm anxious about this, obviously. I think I need to begin stressing that DS has a disability. You would think people would take ASD pretty seriously, even if they are dismissive of the ADHD piece. I'm having trouble understanding the situation.

Last edited by eco21268; 09/15/15 03:39 AM.
    B
    B
    If they kick him out of the program and it's because of missing work due to a disability, then that's discrimination on the part of the school. You could make a major stink, but obviously it's preferable to not have to go that route. I'm worried the teachers are going to become so irritated that they will play games--either they will make him out to be not as impaired as he is, so that he doesn't qualify for an IEP, or they will start depressing his grades and be really hard on him, so that they can kick him out. Only you know enough of the situation to say if any of those scenrios is possible, but that would be my fear. You have to make sure they follow the 504 because that is the only thing that is fair to your DS, but it may come with consequences. This is such a **** situation. No parent should have to spend all their time worrying about this stuff. If possible i would get it written directly into the 504 or possible IEP that he is not to be denied gifted services as a result of behaviors tied to the disability. His grades should not reflect late/missing work if the late/missing work is the result of 504 accommodations not being followed.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    either they will make him out to be not as impaired as he is, so that he doesn't qualify for an IEP, or they will start depressing his grades and being really hard on him, so that they can kick him out. Only you know enough of the situation to say if any of those scenaios is possible, but that would be my fear. You have to make sure they follow the 504 because that is the only thing that is fair to your DS, but it may come with consequences.
    I'm concerned about this already. His graded work in this class took a sudden nosedive after I brought up the planner issue. He still has a solid B, though. He will easily maintain a solid B if he just turns in everything--this is not a rocket science class.

FWIW, I have had nothing but positive (glowing, even) feedback from his other teachers and they are following 504 to the letter without complaint. One, also a brand-new teacher, keeps telling me to let her know if we need anything! Overall, it is a really positive start to the year.

Originally Posted by blackcat
    His grades should not reflect late/missing work if the late/missing work is the result of 504 accommodatons not being followed.
    That's what I think, too. It's one thing to argue the curriculum is too rigorous (that is the rationale for academic probation), but another if he clearly can do the work when proper supports are in place.

I don't want to spend so much emotional energy on this. He just needs to get through the year (we are 1/8 of the way through!), after which the probation is lifted. That means eighth grade is a given and we can all relax a little.

I went into the school and obtained the textbook.

I emailed 504 coordinator and asked if we can get a second set of books added to 504.

I found the book online and it's only $20 because it's an old edition. I will buy it if necessary.

I really hate feeling like I do about his situation. It is very confusing. I am a conflict adverse personality by nature and it's really stressful feeling like there is an adversarial relationship with my children's program.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM