Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 155 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    As for expressive language--I don't know, but there is something going on with language. I don't know if it's purely pragmatic. Here is an example:

Q: How did Japan's geography influence the diet of the people?
    DS writes: They ate fish.

When I asked him to elaborate, he said: it's an island. I asked for more, he said: because it's an island, they are surrounded by water, and fish are plentiful. When I told him that's what he needs to write, he said that is dumb, anybody would understand what he meant when he said "they ate fish." I told him that makes him look like he's being lazy and he had no idea why that would be.

This is a perspective-taking problem. He knows the teacher knows this information, so there is no point in his telling her.

At the same time, he also cannot imagine someone else NOT having the information HE has in his head-- so again, no point explaining. The whole thing feels darned ridiculous to him.

We had a lot of trouble with "show your work" in math, as well. In elementary DS used to write "My brain told me the answer." Um, yeah.

This level of "efficiency" would be hilarious if it weren't so disabling.

We have worked through "pretend someone doesn't know the answer and write it on your paper like you're explaining it to THAT person" and "I know the teacher knows, but tell it to her anyway, because she has to have PROOF that you know before she is allowed to let you move on. Those are the rules that the teachers go by."

I really don't think it would be possible for him to be less organized. He is always several steps behind everyone else (literally and figuratively). I think this is a really complex problem--maybe it's all EF related, probably. But it's like pretty much every area of EF is impaired.

BTDT. And yes, largely EF. Best bet right now is to support what you can and document every problem.

The clock is ticking on their educational eval, yes? Do you know whether they will accept your outside neuropsych report in lieu of testing?

I am feeling the sooner they upgrade your DS to an IEP, the better. He needs the services.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    We had a lot of trouble with "show your work" in math, as well. In elementary DS used to write "My brain told me the answer." Um, yeah.

This level of "efficiency" would be hilarious if it weren't so disabling.
    Okay--so I did actually LOL (gallows humor) reading this, thank you. Part of the problem is that it's easy for me to understand (because of the whole apple/tree thing) his process, so it's fairly easy to know how to help him elaborate. I hope I can convince the teacher that he really isn't being a smart @$$. That is the problem.

We have worked through "pretend someone doesn't know the answer and write it on your paper like you're explaining it to THAT person" and "I know the teacher knows, but tell it to her anyway, because she has to have PROOF that you know before she is allowed to let you move on. Those are the rules that the teachers go by."
    I'm going to use this. DS is crazy about his 6-year old cousin and very patient with him, so I will tell him to pretend he is explaining to his cousin. I think he can do that.

The clock is ticking on their educational eval, yes? Do you know whether they will accept your outside neuropsych report in lieu of testing?

I am feeling the sooner they upgrade your DS to an IEP, the better. He needs the services.
    If I understood correctly, they will accept the NP report, diagnostically. I want a speech/language evaluation and stated that in my letter. I think he needs further testing and specific interventions for social communication.

I also think he should work with a special ed teacher during study hall on the EF stuff. And a behavior plan. Etc., etc., etc.

I guess the clock is ticking. I think they have 30 days from the time I request the eval to respond. After that, the time frame is unclear--maybe it's 60 days? So we have a long way to go.

OTOH--if DS can make it through this year without getting a D in anything--his probationary status in the gifted program is lifted. So for eighth grade, there wouldn't be this gauntlet hanging over his head and I could back off a little and see what works and what doesn't.

That's really the most stressful part of all this. If he is removed from the program, I'll have no idea where to go with him, since he's in both MS and HS classes right now (but more HS).

N
    N
    Q: How did Japan's geography influence the diet of the people?
    DS writes: They ate fish.

When I asked him to elaborate, he said: it's an island. I asked for more, he said: because it's an island, they are surrounded by water, and fish are plentiful. When I told him that's what he needs to write, he said that is dumb, anybody would understand what he meant when he said "they ate fish." I told him that makes him look like he's being lazy and he had no idea why that would be.

Another one, that I can't remember exact words:
    Q: Why would Ruler So-and-So use X (a God) in his laws?
    DS: Because the people were idiots.

Seriously! I told DS first, he should never use "idiot" in a class assignment because it is rude and judgmental. Then I asked him what he meant. He was able to explain it was because the ruler could use the belief system of the people to manipulate them, but it was like pulling teeth to get that answer. All he could think was "those people were so stupid" and that's all he really had to say about that.

His answers are so bizarre.

This! The first one is my DD9 and the second one is my DS12. I figured out last year on DD's reading comprehension assignments that she reads the question, thinks "......................" that much about it, and writes "..." a piece from the middle. Which makes no sense whatsoever, unless you can unpack it and see the long string of thought that it came out of.

We're still fighting the battle with DS about having to show the teacher that you know stuff, because (in his case) she has never even met him and knows absolutely nothing about him or what he knows about anything -- if it doesn't show up in the work, she doesn't know he knows it.

And DeeDee, my DS has always been that one who puts "because I know it" on the line for "how do you know?" laugh Or "because I'm smart." Or "because that's the answer." And in many cases, I've been at a loss to see what else he might be supposed to say. How do you explain how you know that 7 plus 5 equals 12? Because it does.

Eco, I am so with you in this.

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    BTW, 30 days is for completing the evaluation, in most states, not just responding to the request. The timeline shouldn't be more than 60 days from end to end.

ETA: of course, those are school days, not calendar days.

Last edited by aeh; 09/05/15 06:36 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    And DeeDee, my DS has always been that one who puts "because I know it" on the line for "how do you know?" laugh Or "because I'm smart." Or "because that's the answer." And in many cases, I've been at a loss to see what else he might be supposed to say. How do you explain how you know that 7 plus 5 equals 12? Because it does.

Totally off topic, but once on a worksheet, there was a "workspace" and a box for the answer. DD wrote the answer in the box, and wrote "dining room table" in the workspace.

More on topic, eco, to your examples (and Nautigal, too), again, I view these things through a lens of expressive speech as much as perspective taking, and I see a lot of not knowing what to say and covering for it by saying it's dumb, obvious, or idiotic. We've seen great progress through systematically teaching how to provide presuppositional information. The SLP defined "presuppositional" first, they went through a series of exercises identifying what in a statement was the presuppositional information, and then practiced adding such statements to answers. It was done speaking first, and as DS has gotten much better at this, we've worked on integrating the skills into his writing.

E
    OP Offline
    E

It's good to have some company, even though I'm sorry you are dealing with this, too! What's strange is that DS does not seem to have advanced one iota in this through all the years of school. These answers look the same as they did in K. It was cute back then...

I asked history teacher if he will print DS' assignments and give feedback (i.e. let us know which ones he counted wrong) but have not heard back. He's suddenly getting much lower scores on his assignments. This is all pretty disconcerting.

Originally Posted by aeh
    BTW, 30 days is for completing the evaluation, in most states, not just responding to the request. The timeline shouldn't be more than 60 days from end to end.

ETA: of course, those are school days, not calendar days.
    This is good information! It's impossible to understand all of this stuff.

Originally Posted by geofizz

Totally off topic, but once on a worksheet, there was a "workspace" and a box for the answer. DD wrote the answer in the box, and wrote "dining room table" in the workspace.

More on topic, eco, to your examples (and Nautigal, too), again, I view these things through a lens of expressive speech as much as perspective taking, and I see a lot of not knowing what to say and covering for it by saying it's dumb, obvious, or idiotic. We've seen great progress through systematically teaching how to provide presuppositional information. The SLP defined "presuppositional" first, they went through a series of exercises identifying what in a statement was the presuppositional information, and then practiced adding such statements to answers. It was done speaking first, and as DS has gotten much better at this, we've worked on integrating the skills into his writing.
    HAHAHA on the workspace. I really do love these answers. I can't help it. I don't like the "they are idiots" ones DS defaults to on his papers but that should be easily remedied.

I *really* hope that DS can get some SL therapy at school. If he can't, I'm going to take him to the university clinic. I do think there is something going on with his language but do not understand any of this well enough to speculate about it. I can tell it's very difficult for him to interpret questions I ask him about things (especially open-ended) but he can chatter away endlessly and coherently about his interests.

As an aside: one of the things NP noted on her ADOS report was that DS made odd observations about a picture that he was supposed to "tell a story about," including "that airplane doesn't have a practical design, its nose is too rounded" and "that person has only four fingers" among others. She said he did a great job using a lot of expression and drama in his voice, with accents, but was unable to produce a cohesive narrative. I am not 100% sure he couldn't do this task, if given a lot of time and some leading questions, but he is definitely not quick-on-the-draw with things like this. He does write creative stories for fun, and writes well, but they are plot-driven (linear). And I admit he rarely finishes one.

She called that a perspective-taking issue, I think, too. I can't remember all of it.

D
    D
    I asked history teacher if he will print DS' assignments and give feedback (i.e. let us know which ones he counted wrong) but have not heard back. He's suddenly getting much lower scores on his assignments. This is all pretty disconcerting.

What do we think of history teacher so far? Would he/she be amenable to a meeting?

That meeting would include expression of concern, desire to improve; and informal coaching on what the ASD diagnosis means. "We know DS has trouble with this kind of questions; can you tell us exactly what a good answer would look like so we can coach him better at home?"

This is part of establishing that DS is not lazy or stupid; he is struggling because of his disability. It may be good to give the teachers a chance to do the right thing, unless they have already sworn to do the wrong thing and kick DS out of school.

E
    OP Offline
    E

What do we think of history teacher so far? Would he/she be amenable to a meeting?

That meeting would include expression of concern, desire to improve; and informal coaching on what the ASD diagnosis means. "We know DS has trouble with this kind of questions; can you tell us exactly what a good answer would look like so we can coach him better at home?"

This is part of establishing that DS is not lazy or stupid; he is struggling because of his disability. It may be good to give the teachers a chance to do the right thing, unless they have already sworn to do the wrong thing and kick DS out of school.
    We are meeting next week after school, with DS. I told teacher I wanted to go over classroom procedures with DS, reinforce routines and expectations for behavior.

As for the teacher? I actually feel kind of sorry for him. Yet again, the district gifted admin (who makes hiring decisions) has hired a brand-new teacher (I don't even know what his certification is in) to work in this weird program with little to no mentoring or support. He didn't even have a curriculum to use until last week.

DS thinks the teacher is fair and unbiased (although difficult to read) and I hope he is correct! Until last week, all reports were positive regarding DS. When I asked for more detail in the planner (and cc'd the onsite coordinator--different person, not admin) is when I received the flood of ick. And it wasn't actually from the teacher. I'm not sure but it wouldn't surprise me if he was completely blindsided that his casual report to the coordinator was then communicated to me as if all hell had broken loose.

I showed my sister all this weird communication (I could write a novel, it was strange and indicated some bcc'ing going on, etc.) from last week and her take is, basically, that the coordinator is on the defense. I didn't mean for that to happen but I guess that's the way it goes.

I'm really worn out with it all. I think DS has been doing so much better this year, and we have one small problem that shouldn't be that difficult to fix if everyone just relaxes a little bit--while waiting to see if he can receive services. He clearly needs them--I've never implied that this is a problem with the teachers, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't tweak things here and there if it makes life easier for everyone.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by geofizz

I love this story. So literal, so apt, so unhelpful in the homework context...

D
    D
    I'm really worn out with it all. I think DS has been doing so much better this year, and we have one small problem that shouldn't be that difficult to fix if everyone just relaxes a little bit--while waiting to see if he can receive services. He clearly needs them--I've never implied that this is a problem with the teachers, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't tweak things here and there if it makes life easier for everyone.

Indeed. It is wearying. You see your kid make progress, and yet by then the standards and expectations have risen so that he's "behind" them again.

Keep noting the progress he makes by HIS yardstick, not the world's. Look back a year or three and note that things are different now. You are doing a great job supporting him, and it's important for your well-being and his that his progress be acknowledged.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM