Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 165 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    G
    G
    Alicat, I sent you a PM.

A
    alicat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Chay - that is exactly the time I have a challenge with. He is starving, I am trying to cook dinner, everyone needs attention...he wants to eat and to see everything that is going on. I'll have to keep that in mind as he gets older (and think about how to adapt it for him right now).

Thanks to all for responding...I realize some is typical toddler behavior and some is due to his more intense nature likely associated with being bright. I know I am not going to get the eye rolls here if I mention his current capabilities. I have learned to not talk about my kids'current interests with other moms with kids the same age.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by alicat
    He is starving, I am trying to cook dinner
    Would your family benefit by offering your 1-year-old a healthy snack while you prepare dinner... considering it a first course of the meal? Some kids like fresh blueberries, kiwi slices, or small pieces of cheese. These can easily be prepared ahead of time and be ready-to-serve at a moment's notice.

Some kids might look forward to playing with a plastic bin of food-themed toys and dishes (often sold to stock a toy kitchen) which are brought out only at meal prep time.

Would it work for your family, to have your eldest child engage the 1-year old while you cook? For example, cheering him on while he feeds himself his appetizer? Or having appetizers together? Or joining him in playing with a collection of toy food, possibly naming the objects and their colors for him or describing the taste of their real-life counterparts: A real apple is crunchy, juicy, and sweet.

C
    C
    Indigo is on track....already prepared first food item to take away the hungry monster....and a play kitchen was the favorite thing for my boys to play with while I cooked. We had room for it in the eat in part of our kitchen where they could see me and still be out of my way. When they would see me put something in the microwave...in they would throw something in their microwave. I used the stove, they did. I rummaged through the refrigerator, they did while copying my muttering ....where's the butter? or I know we have a half of a tomato in here somewhere.

S
    S
    For us, wearing my son in an Ergo or Tula was a lifesaver at that age.

Cooking dinner, he really liked to hang out and smell spices from the spice rack.

Age 1 favorite toys included the magnadoodle, wooden trains, mini trampoline, DK books, watercolor paint, balls, cars, and really anything water/bubble related. He could pour soapy water in the sink or bathtub for ages...

S
    S
    Oh, and he had his own cabinet in the kitchen he could reach and access to play with plastic plates, containers, measuring spoons, etc. to keep him busy while I used knives, etc.

I
    I
    Our dd was (and is) stimulation starved. Many have already given many good Ideas. We mainly spent a lot of time letting her explore the world in as many different ways as we could imagine as safely as possible.
    The one caution I would like to mention from our mistakes: Adults need sleep. We did not sleep enough. Try to be sure that the adults find some way to get some sleep.

M
    M
    I'm in the same boat as OP. 15 months old and I'm worn out from all the constant stimulation he requires. I am home with him 4 days of the week and his dad is with him 2 days, then we have two nannies that come during the week to give us a bit of a break. They can entertain him and have all the patience in the world for his constant curiosity and movement. That has been our sanity-saver.
    For stimulation though, we kept locks off of most of our cabinets/drawers (unsafe stuff locked up in a couple off-limits places) and let him lead where he wants to explore. Often times, we head outside the home to keep things at home from getting completely mundane (we also rotate toys and what is in drawers/cabinets). The yard, parks, museums, aquariums, malls, playgrounds, farms, play places, ice cream shops, coffee houses, or anywhere that will give him some new experience.
    During diner, I involve him as much as possible. He throws away all the stuff I need put in the garbage, he is my taste-tester, and stirrer, he hands me my oven mitts, and he gets his chair and dishes ready. If we are doing something, he has to be helping.

A
    alicat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks all...we managed to get through that phase😀 He is still challenging and some days are better than others. Mostly he needs a lot of stimulation and is not happy staying at home. He is a really good little boy, he just is constantly investigating every nook and cranny I our house lol. Luckily, I do get a break because I work and he loves his daycare. Just trying to relax and enjoy the ride:)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM