Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by geofizz
    Robert Cormier
    The Chocolate War

I don't think The Chocolate War has stood the test of time. Tried to teach it to 9th graders a few years back and it was painful.

Maxine Hong Kingston
    The Woman Warrior, Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts

This is a wonderful but pretty challenging book. Personally, I think it would be tough for an 11 year old, even a gifted 11 year old.

Ken Follett
    Pillars of the Earth

This is a great and engaging book--but lots of adult themes, including a landowner who rapes his peasants.

Ursula K. LeGuin
    anything

Amen! Obviously, the Wrinkle in Time series is classic (and awesome for gifted characters), but the Wizard of Earthsea books are just as wonderful.

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    P
    P
    I would leave the adult Heinlen books for later - fathers initiating daughters into sex might start conversations you don't want. There is also quite a lot of mild sado masachism and sexism. I like them but you do need a filter.

There is also homosexuality in the Pern novels. This would worry me no more than any other sexuality but you may disagree. The three about Melody, harper of Pern are usually recommended for younger kids.

I just read whatever was around by 12 so maybe just read the ones listed and work out a system for choosing from the adult shelves? I read a lot that was probably not suitable.

Has she read Watership Downs?

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I do think that the witch series is probably the best to read first for a tween girl - Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, Maskerade. Next best is the Guards series - Guards! Guards!, Men At Arms, Feet of Clay, Jingo, Carpe Jugulum, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud!, Snuff.

Thanks! This is helpful. I agree, in that I read Wyrd Sisters and thought she might like it. (I did.) I'm a Pratchett newbie, though. We are all newly in love!

She has read Sharon Creech, Mrs. Frisby, and Diana Wynne Jones. The children's section, while not totally exhausted, is pretty thoroughly mined, and also I'm fairly up on it...but this way of thinking through the adult stuff is a new mindshift.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Oh, and I seem to recall that the Menolly (Pern Harper Hall) novels also have a subtext alluding to a romantic relationship between the very young Menolly and the much older Masterharper.

I read all the original Dragonrider and Dragonsong novels when I was about nine and ten, and, I think, just ignored anything that didn't make sense in my experience, which still left enough for a good read.

I second Watership Down. The Plague Dogs, also by Richard Adams, is also good, but a bit heavier for a tween (though I read it at about 12).

Another author:

Zilpha Keatley Snyder--The Changeling, Greensky trilogy, many others.

I also read Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber at around this age. Someone else may recall if there is a lot of potentially age-inappropriate material in it.

Oh, and T. H. White's The Once and Future King trilogy. The original "The Sword in the Stone" was quite child-friendly. The revision, which appears to be the canonical version nowadays, is a bit darker.

My tween loved Roger Lancelyn Green's classic re-tellings of "King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table" and "Robin Hood".

Last edited by aeh; 08/28/15 08:54 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Oh, and I seem to recall that the Menolly (Pern Harper Hall) novels also have a subtext alluding to a romantic relationship between the very young Menolly and the much older Masterharper.

They have a romance between Menolly and the not-eyebrow-raisingly-older harper Sebell, which does get physical (in a very brief allusion that certainly went over my head when I read them originally). I don't think there's anything explicit between Menolly and the Masterharper in the Harper Hall books themselves. There might be something in the later books.

I also read the Dragonrider and Dragonsong books at a tween and ignored the stuff I didn't understand, will no ill effects. Oh, and The Ship Who Sang! And I remember loving Zilpha Keatly Snyder, too.

LAF Offline
    I loved loved loved Heinlein as a teenager and adult, but there are sexist/sexual material in his later books (but please note no actual sex). He writes strong women characters, but also throws in a bit of "dirty old man" into the mix, if that makes sense. However his short stories might be good choices. Here is a pretty good article that talks about Heinlein and his views of sexuality as portrayed in his books.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/02/books/review/heinleins-female-troubles.html?_r=0

The thing I truly love about Heinlein is his amazing creativity, and his sense of humor. I am a woman, and he is one of my favorite writers.

I do remember as a child loving the Dragonriders of Pern as well as the Amber series. I also loved all the mysteries… like Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes.

Last edited by LAF; 08/29/15 08:00 AM.
    LAF Offline
    I am sure she may have read this already, but has she read any of the Mysterious Benedict Society series?

Don't forget the Dune Trilogy

Become what you are
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    She's read Zilpha Keatley Snyder and tried Mysterious Benedict (not her thing). You all are thinking of great stuff, but I was trying to come up with adult fiction that might work. smile

She has not read Dune and neither have I. It's appropriate? Once and Future King is on my list---forgot to put it up there. I'll edit the original post at some point.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Dune is sort of appropriate--depending on how you feel about a series of novels all premised on wars and political maneuvering over an addictive hallucinogen.

I did read the original trilogy at about this age. smile

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM