Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #221266 08/25/15 04:40 AM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I have seen mention in a couple of GT resources the importance of doing a national talent search test. What is your opinion on these tests? Have you had your child tested? Why or why not?

DS8 would qualify for the EXPLORE test this year. I do have one hesitation in that DS has issues with a drop off in working memory and processing speed when faced with a time constraint. I am concerned that a lower score this year could hurt him in the future...

Thanks!

Our experience: DD(now)14 has taken the Explore and ACT through Belin-Blank and has taken the ACT and SAT for Johns Hopkins University - Center for Talented Youth (JHU-CTY). In my opinion the tests provided valuable information in filling out the picture of where our daughter was/is at. Combined with IQ testing and school achievement tests, we have been able to confirm, with hard evidence, what our gut was telling us about her talents.

I wouldn't hesitate doing a test over concerns the score may hinder your son. A bad score will keep him out of the talent search, but so will no score (ie not taking the test). And if he bombs the test this year, and aces it next, the talent search will only really care about the second score.

Also, if you don't share the score(s) outside of the talent search, there is no way it will be a hindrance anywhere else.

Best of luck,
    --S.F.

For gifted children, doing nothing is the wrong choice.
    Q
    Q
    Talent searches provide useful data points and I wouldn't worry about low scores since you have the option of sharing or not. All three of my kids have done SCAT, while two of them did Explore in 3rd & 4th grades, and one of them did SAT in 6th grade.

K
    K
    My kids took the SCAT in 2nd grade for the CTY (Johns Hopkins) talent search. We used their SCAT scores in advocating for math acceleration (to supplement the school's own testing) and it definitely helped.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM