Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by staceychev
    Thanks for your replies, everyone.
    and now the areas where she needs differentiation the most (even though she's one of the top in her other subjects as well) is being extended, time wise, and lumped together, so she basically has 2 hours and 5 minutes straight of being bored and being told to free read. Hey, I like to free read as much as the next bookworm, but it's not what I want for my kid every day.

Last year my son had a half hour where he was in a small group that was supposed to meet his gifted needs (not necessarily a gifted pull out but close...this was the 1/2 hour designated for intensive intervention and support and kids who didn't need that were grouped together for enrichment...were the other kids in his group HG/PG like my son? I doubt it. Bright? sure). So the enrichment group activity near the end of the year got a set of 20,000 leagues under the sea. This is a 10th grade level book (according to AR) and my son was in Heaven. He loved it. The rest of the group hated it and was in over their heads. The teacher dropped it and once again my son read the book all on his own with no one to discuss it with and share his enthusiasm. The teacher tried. But unless we accelerated him from 5th grade to his instructional level of 10th grade...there really is no differentiation/clustering that we could do for him.

Hopefully middle school will be better (his middle school is also a high school...it goes 6-12th grade...so we might actually have options for acceleration).

I hate to mention this-- but-- my DD16 recently noted that finally-- now that she is in upper division college literature coursework-- her classmates are on the same page with this stuff. Though she also rather rapidly noted that (while she hoped it didn't sound insufferably elitist or anything) that she was also going to make it a point to take such coursework as 'honors' where possible, to maximize the level and intensity of the in-class discussion and interactions. In other words, she was still well out in front of most other college sophomores when it came to analyzing sonnets, but it was a major step in the right direction. It was what she had HOPED that AP Literature would have provided back when she was 13 (and did not, quite honestly).

I'm not really sure that kids who are reading so far above level can be accommodated very well in terms of the discussion, analysis, and exploration that they need in history, social studies, and literature.

I wonder if there is a CTY course that could be used to fill in that gap for some of them? Or some way of setting up a closed message/meeting for the express purpose?

I really, really feel for other parents living through this. Those were a lot of very lonely years for DD, and she had a teacher that looped with her and understood her for a lot of them.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    It is my understanding that "upper division college", by definition, precludes one being a sophomore, as an upper division college offers only Junior and Senior year, for students who transfer in after taking two years at a junior college or a community college.

Possibly we are operating under different definitions of "upper division college"... what is the meaning which you intend to convey when you use this term?

This thread is about upper elementary acceleration. Perhaps this topic would be better addressed in a new thread.
    Thank you for sharing your concern. Please note the context of my post was seeking clarification on terminology introduced by another poster; I was not introducing that topic/terminology.

May I ask what was your motivation in seeking clarification from Howler Karma? I ask because, as the parent of a young rising elementary student, I'd like to be aware of the importance of linkages between the topics for the purpose of future advocacy. If you're starting a new thread, I'd be all ears there.

Thanks, indigo.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by staceychev
    Unfortunately, lack of appropriate challenge (aka boredom) can lead to brain changes and underachievement, which can be difficult to reverse.

Do you have any resources to support this idea that I can share with the principal?
    Yes... I anticipate locating and posting them shortly. smile

E
    E
    Possibly we are operating under different definitions of "upper division college"... what is the meaning which you intend to convey when you use this term?

So that this diversion can be shut down, I will offer that upper division coursework can often be taken by lower division students in college, and that's how I interpreted HK's post. I personally was taking an upper-division history class during my first (full-time) semester in college, having satisfied the prerequisites via AP classes in high school.

I wish I could offer the OP some helpful advice, but I have none. I am fortunate enough to live is a very IQ-enriched area, so that my children have been getting adequate challenge at school without any acceleration.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I hate to mention this-- but-- my DD16 recently noted that finally-- now that she is in upper division college literature coursework-- her classmates are on the same page with this stuff. Though she also rather rapidly noted that (while she hoped it didn't sound insufferably elitist or anything) that she was also going to make it a point to take such coursework as 'honors' where possible, to maximize the level and intensity of the in-class discussion and interactions.

Yeah, that was my experience, too. School was a drag until AP classes. frown

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    upper division coursework can often be taken by lower division students in college, and that's how I interpreted HK's post. I personally was taking an upper-division history class during my first (full-time) semester in college, having satisfied the prerequisites via AP classes in high school.
    Thank you for sharing that model; I'm familiar with both the junior college & upper division college (as separate institutions) and also familiar with 4-year colleges which require two years of liberal arts prior to declaring a major, which then opens access to courses in that major.

staceychev - the promised resource links will be forthcoming.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    staceychev - the promised resource links will be forthcoming.

Thank you!

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    "Upper division" in this context-- as in most contemporary usage in the US system, tends to mean course numbers 300-level or higher-- though this is dependent upon the institution/system (UC's system is notable for its idiosyncratic course sequence numbers, for example).

This means, yes, that such courses are predicated on having completed a year or more of college-level study at the discipline; those lower-division courses also serve as prerequisites for upper division coursework.

My daughter has a sufficient number of credits that she is nearing junior standing, by the way. smile

Dual enrollment was a good thing for her in high school. Middle school was probably where this problem was at its zenith/nadir, however-- staceychev (and other posters) definitely have my sympathies. A huge block of below-level instruction like that would have just been awful for my DD, I know.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Q
    Q
    Now I see your issue - that aspect didn't occur to me since our kids have had two-hour Language Arts blocks since first grade. It's definitely problematic if your DD has to spend two hours reading in Language Arts, especially in upper elementary. DS' 1st grade teacher previously taught GT 3rd grade so DS did go through almost her whole bookcase of mostly 3rd - 5th grade books in first grade due to completing assignments very quickly. I was okay with that for a first grader but by 5th grade the emphasis should be on writing.

By the way, as a former high school english teacher, you are likely more qualified than any elementary teacher in developing your DD's language arts skills. Perhaps if the adminstration is resistant to providing differentiation, you can get them to at least implement differentiation that you provide. This could be in the form of writing assignments for books that your DD is already reading.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM