Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by Lepa
    he often pauses for a while before responding, like he's struggling to gather his words....Finally, he is very cautious (but not clumsy), especially when climbing or walking over uneven surfaces. He was a late crawler and walker. He avoids games where lots of kids are running around; it seems to make him nervous. He was ambidextrous until four and didn't develop a proper pencil grasp until we encouraged him to start using one had for writing/eating/playing guitar. His drawing is poor and mostly consists of scribbles. His handwriting is neat but slow and laborious and he mostly resists doing it. He also has poor eye contact.

This is the part that sounds like my child (DCD/Dyspraxia), except she is clumsy. Does he have a proper pencil grasp now? Both my husband and my daughter hold their pencil tightly in their fist, and it is the fist that is doing the writing--the hand isn't loose. My husband calls himself ambimaldexterous and we thought my daughter was left handed until she started writing. Poor eye contact has been a big problem because teachers think she isn't paying attention. Like someone else said, a lot of these issues have overlapping characteristics. I think the reason the child does the behavior is more important than the behavior itself. For mine, eye contact is difficult because the sensory experience is too intense. She now looks at people in the chin, and that helps. But not looking people in the eyes has caused her a lot of stress.

When I look back over the last four years, I really don't think we could have figured things out any faster than we did and I don't know how much it would have helped. Maybe a little, but I still think she would have struggled. The writing is only now getting challenging enough for her to have real problems

the things I wish I did differently would be: 1) not pay any attention to the behavior charts at all. In fact, I probably would have tried to get her off them. All her bad "choices" are related to physical issues she can't control, 2) not get as frustrated when she drops and spills and falls and gets everything messy, 3) try to get writing and drawing assignments ahead of time so she could plan them out at home in advance.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Lepa
    I also suspect that my son could have some visual processing issues. After the psych who did the IQ testing recommended it, we had his eyes checked by an opthamologist and his eyesight was fine BUT I've noticed several weird things about my son. First, he is TERRIBLE at jigsaw puzzles even though his visual spatial skills are very strong. For example, even at three he could do the advanced Lego Technic sets on his own. He has an unusual way of doing them- he skips ahead three pages at a time, memorizes the image and then builds what he saw. He is also great at taking machines apart and figuring out how to reassemble them. But he struggles with jigsaw puzzles that are rated for five year olds (he is 5.5). He randomly tries to put pieces together and doesn't seem to intuitively understand that the picture must make sense (for example, he'll try to stick the arm to the head of a person).

His reading ability also isn't as good as I would expect for somebody with such a high VCI: he has been spelling words for over a year but still cannot read much beyond short three and four letter words; he knows words if I spell them out loud but has a hard time if they are written; has an amazing memory but doesn't recognize a sight word even if he saw it (and sounded it out laboriously) in the sentence before; he can read a large word on a computer screen but has a hard time if the same word is in a line of text in a book.

Finally, he is very cautious (but not clumsy), especially when climbing or walking over uneven surfaces. He was a late crawler and walker. He avoids games where lots of kids are running around; it seems to make him nervous. He was ambidextrous until four and didn't develop a proper pencil grasp until we encouraged him to start using one had for writing/eating/playing guitar. His drawing is poor and mostly consists of scribbles. His handwriting is neat but slow and laborious and he mostly resists doing it. He also has poor eye contact.

I am thinking we should go ahead and see a developmental opthamologist and maybe wait a few weeks until my son settles in and gather more information to see if we should do further testing for dysgraphia and/or dyspraxia. Is it too early to test for this? Does this fuller picture sound like any of your children?

I'm going to sound like the cheerleader for visual processing today, but a lot of this list could have a vision component as well. In your description, he sounds like he functions much better any time he can find a way to by-pass visual input and hold the picture in his head instead. And being cautious in movement, and nervous around running kids might possibly suggest he can't keep track of uneven ground/ moving kids well enough to feel safe. It's great that you are heading for the ophthalmologist - just make sure you have one that actually looks at visual processing issues like convergence and accommodation - most don't - and not just physical vision issues.

U
    U
    I don't have anything really useful to add--just wanted to say that I have a child who is kind of ASD-ish, but also not, who confuses us, too. She is now seeing yet another professional who does not think she is ASD (we also filled out some screeners which apparently did not indicate it, but we did not do a full neuropsych exam). However, she is certainly wired funny in odd ways that confuse us, teachers, and professionals. At this point, I am unsure if we will ever get an accurate dx (other than anxiety, which is quite clear) so we are working more on finding tools. We find these may come from tools used by professionals working with children with ASD, ADHD, ODD, anxiety, or actually OCD. I would note, however, that academic problems are not a feature for DD. She is just unusual and emotionally/behaviorally complex.

L
    Lepa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I wanted to check in with a mini update because you have all been so supportive. My son's teachers wrote to me this morning and said that he seems to have settled in and is doing well. He's eating at school, which apparently made a huge difference. He is engaged and participating and seems happy. He was thrilled when the teachers let him give a mini lecture on geology to the class as part of his summer show and share (he brought pyrite). He was especially proud to learn his first few words in Spanish. My husband noted that was the first academic thing he's ever learned in an educational setting, which is more than we had expected for kindergarten.

This isn't to say that we won't have our challenges in the coming weeks. But I'm pleased that he seems to have settled in for now.

We will follow up on the potential vision issues but for other issues I'm going to sit tight and continue to gather information.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM