Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 86 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by Platypus101
    A first question would be, do you find he often seems to hear something quite different than what was said to him? In particular, when he IS listening and engaged, does he still seem to make errors in understanding what was asked of him? Does he answer the wrong question? Do you see frustration in him because he is trying to understand what you say, but can’t, because something is garbled in the translation? What you’re looking for isn’t whether he can stay on task or know how to implement directions, for instance, but rather whether he heard the wrong directions in the first place, even when listening carefully. Does he ask you to repeat yourself a lot?

Thank you, this is helpful. He doesn't seem to hear a different question, but he will be unable to repeat back what you just asked him, even when he was apparently paying attention to you. But maybe that is the ASD in play.

P
    PanzerAzelSaturn
    Unregistered
    PanzerAzelSaturn
    Unregistered
    P
    See, my son who everyone thinks is ASD but me, appears to not be listening at all, but if you say, what did I just ask you he is able to repeat back word for word any length of question, even very complex questions with multiple parts... and then he answers them. It's not that he doesn't hear, it's that he doesn't notice I think. I personally think it's an ADHD thing, but just something to compare against your own experience with another kid with the same diagnosis.

I'm adding CAPD to my list (that also includes SPD, stealth dyslexia, dysgraphia and ADHD) of things that are mightily impacted by asynchronous development, in particular, the delayed development of the prefrontal cortex in highly gifted children.

I never can find any direct science on this, but it seems like executive function and filtering are such a linchpin here for all these struggles. As I understand it - that comes out of the prefrontal cortex. If I was king of the world, they'd all go under an umbrella called Asynchronous Development Syndrome, and tracking of development of the pre-frontal cortex would be essential to development of IEPs, support plans etc.

I literally have NO expertise here - but it all seems to come together this way. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. At least until wiser folks (e.g., aeh) explain why I'm wrong.

S
    S
    Suevv, sent you a pm

U
    U
    DS recent testing said his "auditory working memory" tested in superior range.

DD has not had any testing of this type, but I would guess hers is absolutely superior. As a young child, she memorized extremely long books, her digit span (tested informally at home) is insane, and now that she is starting an instrument, we see her that she only needs to play a tune a couple of times before being able to play it easily from memory. When she performs in plays, she memorizes the whole script. And yet she often APPEARS not to be listening, and does not always follow through when given tasks. Does she not hear, or is she resistant, or is she hearing but failing to take the next step to action? This is the kind of complex problem that makes me nuts (yes, she is seeing someone right now for these challenges).

DD was also given a computer-based attentional screener (in a quiet office environment where she was being compliant) and aced it completely...

FWIW, her brother also can appear absent-minded, even a little bit ADHD (he misplaces items, etc) but in his case, it's much more clear to me that he is living inside his very active mind and it is an artifact of giftedness and asynchronicity. I also think people notice it in him because in most other ways he has a way of seeming mature. I think people even like to see it, because he seems "cute" and kiddie genius-ish when he wanders around with his nose in a thick book using long words but forgets his lunchbox, etc. With DD, the behavior seems more entrenched and also more...biologically long-term and complex.

slammie #221407 08/27/15 11:16 AM
    Slammie - check you in box.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM