Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Our issue at that age wasn't so much the reading level as how the print looked on the page. My son did not want to read anything that looked like a chapter book, so Magic Tree House and books of that type were out even though they were well within his ability.

What worked for us was for me to get picture books from the library, the kind that are meant for adults to read to children (so not leveled) for him to read. He found them visually (and psychologically) easier to deal with and the reading level was typically anywhere between 3rd and 6th grade (usually around 5th grade).

P
    P
    Agree with Kai - should chapter books feel too overwhelming, there are surprisingly large mountains of picture books at higher reading levels which are faster but still more substantial reads. Most of the ones we liked were one-offs, but in terms of series here's some starters you could find at the library (or in bulk a school book sale/ consignment store):

Magic School Bus picture books pack in an amazing amount of stuff. Note that the same topics come in multiple versions of varying depth and complexity. The chapter books are great too.

Many loathe the Berenstein Bears, but my kids couldn't get enough of them for several years (we must have at least 40 of them picked up for pennies at various book sales).

The Sir Cumference series is loved by both my mathy and non-mathy kid (artsy DD-almost-9 loved them at 4 and still occasionally still asks me to read them to her, and even took them into math class last year to demonstrate some geometry)

Dr. Seuss has lots of wonderful, much longer stories, like The Lorax and Thidwick.

Disney - another easy to loathe but the kids loved - easily has a dozen picture book versions of every movie, ranging from very short and simple to 100 pages of harder - but still small-kid friendly text.

For young chapter books, mine were also big fans of A to Z mysteries and Jigsaw Jones mysteries.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The original Martha Speaks books (Susan Meddaugh), which are picture books, and written at an adult read-aloud reading level. Though the early reader TV spin offs are a fun read, too, if a bit on the easy side.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM