Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 194 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #221205 08/23/15 09:45 PM
    L
    longcut Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    If you were considering acceleration and already had outside testing done, would you bother to have your second grader, in a school that doesn't do gifted evaluations until third grade, take the standardized Iowa Assessments (previously ITBS) and CogAT along with the third graders, a year early?

The tests would be a year above grade level, and as such, they would be normed against third graders, is that correct? So her scores would be lower than if she were in the actual grade, I presume. If she does actually skip the grade later this year, I would think she'd need to take the tests regardless.

How do you account for reaching the testing minimums for gifted programs if it's normed against those a year above? Especially since the CogAT form itself is a different format at third grade level than second grade. And can she take the CogAT again one year later, if she didn't end up skipping second grade, or is there a longer retest spacing required?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    The CogAT will be scored on both age and grade norms. Which score is used by the school depends on local conditions. She probably shouldn't be taking the exact same form two years in a row. The publishers have already factored in some retest effects for adjacent years (which have some overlapping items), but a one-year interval for the same form wouldn't be optimal.

Yes, on the CogAT7 there is a significant difference in test format between second grade and third grade. The K-2 (age 5-8) test is entirely pictorial (with one optional verbal section), with orally-presented directions, while the 3-12 test has a more conventional text-based verbal section. They are supposedly continuously scaled, and supposedly measure comparable verbal reasoning skills, based on their factor analysis.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    L
    longcut Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Good to know, thank you! I will make note to clarify the need for that test in 3rd depending on acceleration timing (if it happens) and possibly missing the test (which factors into gifted programming entry). Tricky year! ;-)

P
    P
    longcut, I noticed in your other thread that your dd has a relatively low PSI and that some of her WIAT tests were impacted by going slow and being careful - just wanted to give you a heads-up that at least parts of the CogAT are timed.

JMO, but I'm not sure I'd have my child (in your situation, with outside testing showing LOG) take the CogAT and Iowa assessments unless the school is requiring them for consideration of acceleration. But I could be biased as my ds is one of those EG kiddos who scored only average on the CogAT smile

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 08/24/15 08:19 AM.
    L
    longcut Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Good to know. DS has a similar profile and did very well on the CogAT, but they are different in many ways. I just don't want her to get into limbo of perhaps skipping a grade and then not qualifying for GT services due to missing school testing. :-) But I do hope they'll just accept the outside testing.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs