Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    DS now has ASD diagnosis (Asperger's type), ADHD-combined type, and very thorough NP report. I received it yesterday so am just now processing this via "emotion" and need a quick-start into "advocacy" before 504 today.

Thankfully, the neuropsych recommends he continues in gifted programming while receiving services. She said with his cognitive profile, we do not want to encourage accommodations or programming that "lets him off the hook" and he will best develop skills for managing EF deficits and social communication in context of challenging curriculum and gifted peers.

Whew! Now if I can convince the school. smile

B
    B
    Glad you finally got the report. Does it say anything about school services, for example for social skills or organizational skills? Because then you probably need an IEP. I hope your meeting goes well.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    Glad you finally got the report. Does it say anything about school services, for example for social skills or organizational skills? Because then you probably need an IEP. I hope your meeting goes well.
    Yes, it specifically states IEP eligibility should be discussed and makes recommendations for services.

Does the school have to conduct their own eval or can they use this report? I mean, if I can get them to agree to consider IEP.

P
    P
    eco, I'm glad you finally have a diagnosis and a strong report to back it up. I hope that it helps you in advocating with your school (it should!) - and I hope your advocacy will help your ds' teachers understand him better this year.

Does the school have to conduct their own eval or can they use this report? I mean, if I can get them to agree to consider IEP.

You need to throw away the doubt ("If I can get them to consider") - they have to consider a request by a parent. You need to put in a written request for an evaluation for *eligibility* for an IEP based on ____ (each and all of your concerns). You can include the diagnosis and report in your request. The school will then *have* to call an eligibility team meeting at which they will discuss whether or not they feel it's appropriate to evaluate your ds for services under an IEP. Then they evaluate and decide if he is eligible (unless they don't feel he needs to be evaluated, in which case you appeal). And if they evaluate and find him not eligible you still have avenues to appeal. It's also quite possible that given the report you have, the school might at least agree right off that they will evaluate him or they could even potentially go straight to giving him an IEP without a further evaluation.

I'd make the written request right away - because IEP evaluation processes can take time. The school district has deadlines for evaluations (the length of time depends up on the state and school district policies), but even with a "short" timeframe it still usually takes time to pull together a meeting with the full team, and to get testing/etc scheduled if the team feels further info is needed for the evaluation.

Good luck!

polarbear

B
    B
    School districts are required to consider the results of any independent eval a parent has done (whether it's paid for by the district or something the parent obtains privately and pays for themselves).

Our district is unfortuantely run by a slew of incompetent people and we had a private neuropsych report on DS after he had a brain injury. It had abnormal test findings and a bunch of diagnosis codes and recommendations. Our district completely ignored the report and told me he would never qualify for anything (without even evaluating him themselves). I could have filed a complaint for "child find" violations, and/or taken them to due process. I called the State and the district was aware of this, and luckily for them, turned things around before I did anything.

They can use the report and the scores, but will probably want to do their own eval as well. There are certain things that have to be documented for the State. It depends on what category they are assessing or trying to make him eligible for, but they may need to do classroom observations, achievement testing that wasn't done, checklists, etc.

Our district specifically asked if they could use the IQ scores we had obtained previously (privately) for both kids, and I'm glad, because otherwise they would have given them the CogAT. The reason they wanted to use those scores is to minimize the amount of testing they had to do themselves. If they had it their way, they wouldn't have done any eval at all.

G
    G
    Eco, to echo (ha!) the others: If you request it, they *must* evaluate for an IEP. They also must do their own evaluation, but they can choose to include your external evaluation in place of their own testing.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by blackcat
    I called the State and the district was aware of this, and luckily for them, turned things around before I did anything.

Just to add on to blackcat's experience - and I hope this doesn't happen to you, but something to be aware of. We had a similar experience with a school that simply wanted to tell us "no" repeatedly to any and every request. It was *really* helpful to consult with an outside advocate rather than just accepting what the school had to say - we found out in the course of advocating for IEP services for our ds that our school was actually in trouble for previous violations of Federal Law re IEP/504 denials and was close to actually losing their Federal Funding. The advocate gave us the words to use to make the requests we were seeking, and having those specific words really helped. wrightslaw advice really helps too - if you haven't read "From Emotions to Advocacy" I'd get a copy.

Best wishes,

polarbear

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    In my experience, IEP teams have been very happy to accept outside evals in lieu of school-based testing. The schools I've worked in typically add classroom observation, teacher reports, and record review. In my state, the submission of a comprehensive outside eval also starts the clock for a team meeting, just as completion of a school-based eval does, which then must be convened within 10 school days. Your state regs may vary.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    Also be sure to point out that your testing was recent so if they want to do their own testing that may affect their ability to stay within your state's timing requirements. Aeh can provide more info but they would probably need at least 6 months until they can retest using the same instruments.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    When you go to your child's 504 meeting, to discuss his non-existent executive function...and find out you wrote down the wrong date.

Yes, really.

Last time I went for 504, walked in (empty) classroom and found DS' eyeglasses on the floor.

The poor kid never stood a chance.

The meeting is actually Monday, the 24th.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM