Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 206 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    H
    hhbella Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Hello,
    This is my first time posting and i wanted to ask about test results and grade skipping. My son has just skipped from grade 1 to grade 3. We are in Australia so he has only stared in his new class about 2 weeks ago and is in a trial phase (so we will assess at the end of term one). We based the grade skip on the school's WISC testing of our son and his achievement tests in class. During this decision i have been trying to look at the evidence for grade skipping and most of it uses terms like moderately, highly etc gifted. I could care less what level of giftedness my son has but i would like to know when i look at these studies which group he falls into. We were never 'allowed' to have the school results and only had graphs showing where he was on the bell curve. As a scientist i found this very difficult. I like to know numbers it is in my nature. What did come from the school testing was that he scored very high on the verbal comprehension (at least top 0.1%) and in the top percent or couple of percent for all the others. Based on this i guess i thought perhaps (but only really guessing) he was highly gifted and thus in most studies this makes him a candidate for acceleration. From what i have seen it is the highly gifted students that are often good candidates for grade acceleration. Is that correct?
    To try and help us make a decision we decided to have him tested independently and the testers used the SB-5. We had preliminary results which supported our decision but now have the full results. I am trying to understand what they mean and for my purposes of understanding the best educational approaches for him, what group he might fit into.
    This is where is gets very confusing. As suggested here, i have gone to the Hoagies site where they have a useful comparison table for the different tests and based on this he would be highly gifted but on the Gifted minds site he would be gifted. Can anyone give me any guidance on how i should think about this? The SB5 test seems to produce a lower number than many of the other tests so i am not sure whether it is useful for me to look at sites where they don't specify the test but will divide up into levels of giftedness based on IQ number.
    I guess the results make me worry that perhaps it was unnecessary to accelerate him (perhaps i am also thinking this as he is still struggling a little to fit in socially). As i said i am scientist and i want to look at the evidence and this confusion makes it difficult.
    I have posted the results below in case any one has some thoughts about them and what they might mean for what he needs educationally.
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
    E.
    Percentile Rank
    Fluid Reasoning 135 99th
    Knowledge 143 99.8th
    Quantitative Reasoning 125 95th
    Visual-Spatial Processing 126 96th
    Working Memory 123 94th
    DOMAIN
    Nonverbal IQ 132 98th
    Verbal IQ 135 99th
    Full Scale IQ 135 99th

Nonverbal Tests Scaled score (1-19) Verbal Tests Scaled score (1-19)
    Fluid Reasoning (routing) 15 Fluid Reasoning 17*
    Knowledge 19* Knowledge (routing) 16*
    Quantitative Reasoning 14 Quantitative Reasoning 15
    Visual-Spatial Processing 13 Visual-Spatial Processing 16*
    Working Memory 14 Working Memory 14
    NVFR (matrices ss15)
    Verbal Knowledge (vocab ss 16).

H
    hhbella Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Hi,
    Thank you for responding.
    What i have found frustrating is that in many cases they do not explicitly state their criteria they are using.
    I hope that the one year skip suits him.
    I will take a look at the Iowa acceleration scale.
    Thank you.

M
    M
    hhbella - I really think that the hoagies chart is off in this regard and you should consider the Gifted minds chart as accurate. Like Gifted Minds, the DYS program also considers the SB5 and WISC to be equivalent (ie 145+/99.9%+ is required on either test).

With regard to his WISC scores - do you have percentiles? If you post the percentile ranks here for the FSIQ or the various indexes, chances are that someone will be able to convert them to numbers for you with reasonable accuracy. The Australian norms are slightly different to US norms but not dramatically. It's common practice in Australia, not just in schools, to only provide parents with percentiles and it drives me mad too.

With regard to the grade skip - my own DD is skipped, it was clearly the right choice for her, though we are now entering her second year it's already "not enough" and I am not sure school are aware that they need to step up and start extending... Anyway, the point is that I am definitely open to skipping. The only caution I would give you is that to my inexpert eyes your DS strongest area is Knowledge. Roughly speaking the Knowledge section tests what he has learned (and a score that high reflects what a gifted child in a rich environment can learn). His Fluid Reasoning is high and solidly gifted (optimally gifted you might even say), I would not hesitate to skip him if school is seeing what you are seeing (which it sounds like they are) - but it is possible that he stands out more now as a young child than he will a little later on. Or he may continue to stand out, he may always have knowledge as his strength, this can in part be related to personality - if he's gifted and has a personality driven to collect knowledge/information/data/ideas then he will likely always be strong in this area. Again, I'm NOT a psychologist or expert, take it with a grain of salt...

My own DDs weakest area was QR, which is also quite influenced by acquired knowledge/exposure to content. The tester felt her slightly lower score in QR could be accurate, and that she had a relative weakness in this area, or could easily reflect that at 5 she simply hadn't developed an interest in math or had much exposure (she hadn't had any really) and that her QR score might shift over time.

H
    hhbella Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Hi Mum of Three,
    I have been thinking about your response quite a bit- particularly the part about whether his very high knowledge was due to environment. Perhaps that is so in which case it really means that he is not the different to many other kids. I guess i have been thinking about this because i am still unsure about the grade-skip. We met with the school last week and they are adamant that he needs to be in the higher grade but they don't know the whole child like i do.
    I need to keep working on the school for the WISC data. We have very little from them.
    This has made me think about getting the IOwa Acceleration Scale (should have done it before but didn't). I will ask in general section but wondered whether you or anyone else knows whether you what is sold on ebay- as manual, is all you need or do you also need the forms . On the site that produces it it is substantially more expensive but is called a complete kit. I don;t want to only get part of what i need.
    Thanks

H
    hhbella Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Hi,
    I am here again as i now have more information about the test results from the wisciv my son did with the school pysch.
    I am again looking for some guidance about the scores- there is a big discrepancy between some of them. Which made me wonder about calculating the GAI- if it is appropriate and how to do it.
    His results were:
    Verbal comp:
    similarities 19
    vocabulary 19
    comprehension 16
    perceptual reasoning
    block design 15
    picture concepts 14
    picture completion 14
    (comment that he had trouble concentrating here due to returning after lunch)
    working memory
    digit span 11
    letter-number sequence 15
    Processing speed
    coding 11
    symbol search 12
    The calculations are:
    vci 99.9
    pri 96
    wmi 86
    processing speed index 73
    full scale score 99

If someone could help me with the GAI calculation i would appreciate it. Also if anyone had any comments about differences in the wisc versus sb5 (first post) i would appreciate them.
    THanks,
    hhbella.

S
    S
    Summing the Verbal Comp and Perceptual Reasoning scores gives a total of 97.

I believe that yields a GAI of 146 (99.9%)

Here's a link to the table:

http://tinyurl.com/cndkstz

DS10 (DYS, homeschooled)
    DD8 (DYS, homeschooled)
    M
    M
    Hhbella - if school recommend the skip and he's tested high MG to HG+, on two tests, different tests, different testers, then I really think its unlikely to be a mistake. You've got a clear verbal strength and no major weaknesses. Schools don't randomly offer skips!! Also skips can be undone... You're looking for least worst for right now....

BTW - here is the link to some of the stuff that MoT mentioned over at gifted minds:-

http://www.giftedminds.com.au/main/page_resources.html

A real trove of good stuff here - thanks MoT!

Last edited by madeinuk; 04/15/13 09:14 AM.

Become what you are
    H
    hhbella Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Not sure whether I should make new topic or continue this one but will see how it goes.
    So we skipped my son (discussed above) and he had a terrible year last year. Nasty teacher that made him feel very unsafe. Didn't work very much and behavior was silly. Never had any behavior problems before. This year he is in a year 5 and year 6 composite where they have collected the highest achieving students from both years. He is much happier and has had no behavior issues at all. But .... he is very disengaged from school, does bare minimum in class and at home and teacher is unsure what is going on. We met with her at the teaching support meeting - that he is supposed to have as part of his year skip, and she said she sees no sign of him having high ability at all. She suggested we have him retested as she thinks that the original tests have way overestimated his potential ability. I don't think so but I am not sure how to try and get him to open up and try at school. I said that even if the tests overestimated by 20 points he should still be achieving better than he is. Also, if he was trying and not achieving then is would seem like lower ability rather than something else. The teacher had a conversation with him to try and encourage him and was going to try and find out more about how to encourage him.
    I feel very worried that we stuffed up with the year skip but maybe this would have been then same in his original year too.
    Do you think we should retest?
    Does anyone have any suggestions to try and help him enjoy school more?
    His dad said he was the same- couldn't see the point of anything until he was doing something real. This was his PhD at 22!!!! Teacher and I were not keen to wait that long.
    He will have the same teacher this year and next. I think she is used to bright, driven children. Not the bright undriven ones.

Any thoughts, ideas appreciated.
    Thanks.
    HHBella

I
    I
    This recent thread may be of interest, as a few of the points posted are similar.

The similarity you mention between DH & DS, brings to mind Stephanie Tolan's Is it a cheetah? Just as a cheetah needs an antelope to provide motivation to run at a good pace, a gifted kid needs an academic/intellectual challenge worthy of his/her potential to avoid underachievement. A child without sufficient academic/intellectual challenge may be academically misplaced.

The you-tube video on Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children touches on myths about gifted kids, academic misplacement, and context of behavior issues, among other concepts.

You might also wish to have your child's vision tested... sometimes children underperform because they cannot see well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM