Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Have you heard of the Congressional Award for young Americans? It is a program in which young people age 13-1/2 to 23 register with a mentor ("advisor") then set and achieve challenging individual goals in the 4 broad areas of:
    1) Voluntary Public Service,
    2) Personal Development,
    3) Physical Fitness,
    4) Expedition/Exploration.

Over time, with dedication and persistence, participants may earn up to six levels of awards which recognize the achievement of ever more challenging goals.
    1) Bronze award certificate
    2) Silver award certificate
    3) Gold award certificate
    4) Bronze award medal
    5) Silver award medal
    6) Gold award medal

On their way toward setting and accomplishing goals, registered participants may gain important self-knowledge, experience in overcoming adversity, the satisfaction of having made a significant positive impact upon others, a proven track record in planning/revision/follow-through, and skill in meeting specified documentation and reporting requirements. Many of the skills and abilities developed and refined while achieving these goals may be transportable to careers and higher education.

Read more about the Congressional Award foundation and program at the congressionalaward website, exploring all the various linked pages, downloads, and social media: http://www.congressionalaward.org.

N
    N
    Two kids from our HS won the gold medal this year. While the award does not depend upon IQ or GPA, both kids are quite bright. I know one was NMSF and the other has won a number of academic awards. I think that most kids who are driven to achieve awards such as this one are bright.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Congrats to those who have earned the Congressional Awards!

Two in the same year from one school, that sounds impressive. Did the same mentor register as the advisor for several students?

If I read the website correctly, a minimum of two years is required to earn the Congressional Award at the gold medal level. Any idea what their goals and projects entailed, for the two students you mentioned? Also did they seem to enjoy the experience?

N
    N
    I don't know about the mentors. Their projects mostly involved stuff they already did - one kid started a business that involved his talent/hobby, and the other had participated in a sport for years (and is probably DI material - don't know if the kid plans to play in college though). Both kids have always been very involved in the community and volunteering.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Several youth who've earned the Congressional Award have gone on to author books to help mentor other youth, including:

1) Jairek Robbins, Live It!
    2) Lauren Jessen & Catherine Jessen, Youth's Highest Honor
    3) Kristin M. White, It's the Student, Not the College

The long term goal-setting and achievement acknowledged by the Congressional Award for youth reminds me of this quote by Dr. Angela Lee Duckworth:
    Originally Posted by quote
    “Grit is passion and perseverance for very long-term goals. Grit is having stamina. Grit is sticking with your future, day-in, day-out. Not just for the week, not just for the month, but for years. And working really hard to make that future a reality. Grit is living life like it’s a marathon, not a sprint.”

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Adding a link to a post discussing an article on "what kids don't learn" when not appropriately challenged.

It is possible that, for some youth, working towards earning the Congressional Award may help provide an appropriate level of challenge which encourages the development of necessary life skills.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM