Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 165 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    B
    B
    "Elementary school - I got a book on HTML from the library" Wow this makes me feel old having started learned to code in elementary school on a TRS-80.

Bostonian,

I like the format and I tend to agree with their points.

Become what you are
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by BenjaminL
    "Elementary school - I got a book on HTML from the library" Wow this makes me feel old having started learned to code in elementary school on a TRS-80.

You said it. I learned BASIC in elementary school on a 4k PET with a cassette tape drive.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Originally Posted by BenjaminL

You said it. I learned BASIC in elementary school on a 4k PET with a cassette tape drive.
    Junior High.. same thing. By High School I was coding circles around the typing teacher who was supposed to be teaching us BASIC.

The difference is back then there weren't many programs already build. So if you didn't learn to code on it.. the computer was boring.

Last edited by bluemagic; 08/04/15 05:08 PM.
    E
    E
    Remember getting a magazine that had a program in it and typing the whole thing in? Then debugging it because you never typed it perfectly?

B
    B
    Remember getting a magazine that had a program in it and typing the whole thing in? Then debugging it because you never typed it perfectly?
    When our eldest son was 8 or so we gave him unfettered access to a PC without an Internet connection. He did type in programs from books and try to run them. Lots of books on programming are still being published, but programming magazines are dying out. Their successors may be sites like Hacker News that link to programming blogs.

Haw! Yes, I do LOL

Become what you are
    L
    LRS Offline
    L
    I was rereading this thread because my son is asking to learn programming. He knows some from Jr. FLL robotics, Minecraft, and is fairly proficient at Scratch.

We got a book on modding for Minecraft, and he's going to start working on that with his uncle.

Has anyone used "codecademy"? I wonder if he'll be able to do a fair amount of that independently. He's homeschooled and unfortunately I have a very low tolerance for frustration with tech (and a 3 year old!)

B
    B
    Originally Posted by LRS
    I was rereading this thread because my son is asking to learn programming. He knows some from Jr. FLL robotics, Minecraft, and is fairly proficient at Scratch.

We got a book on modding for Minecraft, and he's going to start working on that with his uncle.

Has anyone used "codecademy"? I wonder if he'll be able to do a fair amount of that independently. He's homeschooled and unfortunately I have a very low tolerance for frustration with tech (and a 3 year old!)
    There was a thread Codecademy (learning to program in Javascript).

G
    G
    I remember writing Choose Your Own Adventure games on the Apple IIe back in the day... in Applesoft BASIC.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM