Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    SLO #220393 08/03/15 02:21 PM
    U
    U
    With respect, I think any child who is asking a lot of questions about these topics and repeatedly needing reassurance about them is showing some signs of anxiety (which may be mild or not so mild). Others may disagree.

Another avenue would be cognitive behavioral therpay techniques--learning to recognize anxious thoughts, categorize them as the type of nonproductive thought they are, and replace them with a more balanced thought (such as "I know it is very unlikely that an F5 tornado will hit my home" or if you prefer, "We have a family disaster plan and know what to do."). You can Google this and learn the basic concept without a therapist.

Dude #220394 08/03/15 02:49 PM
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Assuming your name SLO is a location reference, it might help to reassure your DS that earthquakes along the San Andreas (where a "big one" is most likely to occur) would happen below land anywhere south of San Francisco, so those won't trigger a tsunami.

Yes and no. EQ and Tsunami geek reporting.

Tsunami risk along the CA coast is real. Great maps are here: http://www.conservation.ca.gov/cgs/...nundation_Maps/Pages/Statewide_Maps.aspx

The source of those tsunami are either from off shore vertical faults, off shore faults that trigger landslides, or from distant earthquakes. The Japanese EQ in 2013 hit CA and did quite a bit of damage in some places, and killed one. Not that I'd tell a kid already anxious about such things about this.

However, being prepared means that a kid will almost assuredly be out of harms way: If you in one of the inundation zones, then if you feel shaking, get to high ground. If the earthquake is in Alaska or Japan, then there will be p.l.e.n.t.y of time to communicate to everyone how to be safe.

The SAF is actually quite a bit inland from SLO, and the local geology means that the shaking hazard is lower. This is also getting into the zone where the fault slips more continuously than catastrophically. That's not to say that EQs aren't a concern there, but not as bas as other parts of CA. One thing that would be good to know as coming online is an Earthquake Early Warning system (http://www.shakealert.org) for CA. It's something that performed extremely well in the Tohoku earthquake. If he wants to take action on this, he can write letters to Congress to help get the project fully funded.

SLO #220395 08/03/15 05:39 PM
    E
    E
    This thread is kind of Onion-esque (I mean that nicely--look what happens when a bunch of gifted adults attack a problem from their own preferred perspectives).

I really like this:
    http://www.possibilityoftoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Slide1.jpg

This is really process oriented. I bet it would appeal to a rational child's logical thinking. Ideas about "what to do if there's something you can" include the statistics, facts, preparedness, etc. If they still had trouble with the "how not to worry," part--that's more likely to be anxiety.

I'm sure there are dozens of holes in the logic (but don't care, since am all feely), I still think it's complex enough to be of interest, and not overwhelming.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM