Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    LAF Offline
    I did start my DS10 on 1mg of melatonin because he wasn't able to get to sleep until 10:30/11 despite a 8:30 bedtime but he was sleepy the next day, so I think I'm going to try 300mcg dose as momoffour suggested...

C
    C
    Thanks - I do open the curtains in her room as soon as I get up in the morning. Unfortunately, this seems to have no effect. I still have to wake her up even with the sun pouring in for over an hour.

There was one day this week when she went to sleep a lot faster - it was after a full day of musical theatre camp, a play date with her friend, an art class, and an hours swim in the pool. If we could do that level of activity every day I think we'd be better off. Unfortunately she is by nature more sedentary - most days, it is hard to get her out of the house doing some physical activity.

We do try to keep the lights dim and have no screen time for an hour before she goes to bed. However it's not always consistent and something we can try to be better at.

I just found some at super market.One is in gummy bear form,2 gummy bears-5mg.I got that an 300 Mcg."..........later,it worked,she's sleeping.

Last edited by atticcat; 08/02/15 07:56 PM.
    D
    D
    Melatonin is short-acting; it wouldn't have been in her system that long.

I would advise talking to your pediatrician if you have sleep concerns.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by momtofour
    Chiming in very late here, but I know many parents of gifted kids deal with sleep problems, so others might be searching...
    I was advised by several doctors to try very low-dose Melatonin (300 mcg), which some studies have found to be more effective than higher dosages.
    My gyn and PCP both advised me to take 300 mcg daily for 30 days, 2 hours before bed, to try to develop a better sleep pattern. My son's ped advised the same. Ds has used it intermittently (with amazing results), while I've used it more regularly.
    I had previously tried 3 and 5 mg doses and found that I had very vivid dreams and didn't sleep as well. With the 300 mcg dose (I order on Amazon), I get perfect results.

Reviving this thread because a RL friend who uses melatonin for her kids was discussing an article aboul side effects in kids without giving specifics so I came back to reread here. I wanted to report that we switched DD (now 11) to the 300 mcg dose and it works really well. She doesn't fall asleep quite as quickly as she did on the 5 mg dose so we give it to her a bit earlier. She does fall asleep easily though and stays asleep. I think a bit less active in her sleep as well. I have not been able to find it in stores so also have to order from Amazon. On non school nights she usually skips it and usually stays up much, much later. So yeah, we are sticking with melatonin but are happy to be using the micro dose instead. Thank momtofour for letting me know about this option!

LAF Offline
    I take a 1 mg tablet and give 1/2 to my DS11 and 1/4 to my DD8 and it works pretty well in that they don't end up staying awake for hours like they used to. I too read this thread and started with reduced dose (doc originally recommended 3 mg)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM