Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #220262 07/29/15 08:04 AM
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Hi! Long time lurker but first time poster. You guys have given so much advice and I've learned a lot by reading so I'm hoping I can get some help. My son recently took the WPPSI. He was 5 years 9 months when he took it. I had wanted to wait and take the WISC when he was old enough but his school wanted the WPPSI-IV so that's what we did.

scores:
    Verbal Comprehension
    Information - 17
    Similarities - 13
    Vocabulary - 12
    Comprehension - 13

Fluid Reasoning
    Matrix Reasoning - 17
    Picture Concepts - 16

Visual Spatial
    Block Design - 19
    Object Assembly - 19

Working Memory
    Picture Memory - 9
    Zoo Locations - 19

Processing Speed
    Bug Search - 12
    Cancellation - 15

Verbal Comprehension - 129 - 97 percentile
    Visual Spatial - 155 - >99.9 percentile
    Fluid Reasoning - 139 - 99.5 percentile
    Working Memory - 124 - 95 percentile
    Processing Speed - 121 - 95 percentile
    Full Scale IQ - 131 - 98 percentile
    GAI - 141 - 99.7 percentile

I think the scores are all accurate except for the Picture Memory one in working memory. He had been testing for over an hour at that point and asked for a break immediately after that section. When we chatted during the break he said he starting giving random answers because he was tired of doing it.

I asked the psychologist for a nonverbal index as well but she told me that there was one section they didn't complete a subtest that's part of the nonverbal index so she can't give us a score for that. From what I looked up it seemed that it was a supplemental subtest so a score could be possible but I'm not very familiar with the WPPSI so I don't know if I'm reading it wrong. What are the requirements for substituting one subtest with another? I don't know what's allowed and when I tried asking the psychologist I was told that his scores are overall very high so I shouldn't be concerned about anything. I know she's not used to working with gifted kids though.

Opinions please, how much is the picture memory score going to affect his overall score, like for GAI? With having three subtests scaled scores of 19 and two others at 17 how close to the ceiling was he? If we want a better idea would it be worth getting the WISC when he's older or the Stanford-Binet?

Thanks for any help you all can provide!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Actually, all the required subtests for the NVI were administered, but one of them is Picture Memory, for which you would probably want to substitute Zoo Locations (an allowable sub). I anticipate this to be negligibly different from his GAI (even with the substitution).

Picture Memory will not affect his GAI at all, as it does not contribute to that index (In, Si, BD, and MR are the components of the GAI). It and Bug Search are jointly responsible for the difference between FSIQ and GAI.

He is obviously at or above the ceiling with regard to Visual Spatial, and possibly Working Memory, but not for the other indices.

I would suggest waiting at least a year (preferably two or three, to put him in the sweet spot for score stability and adequate ceiling of age 8-10), and having him re-tested with the WISC-V, if this information has value to you. Waiting a bit will also allow time for the likely extended norms to come out. Unless a new revision of the SB comes out in the interim, its norms will be extremely old by the time a re-test is appropriate for him. The structure of the WISC-V is also more likely to favor his profile, based on what we know of his current performance. (Separates VS from other skills.)

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Aeh, thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it. It makes sense to wait a while too. Thanks again!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM