Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #220251 07/28/15 09:29 PM
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Just looking to understand her profile better. She took the WISC IV about a year ago, when she was 7. Here are her scores:

[deleted]

The person who tested her stated that the Perceptual Reasoning subtest was more difficult for her and she gave up easily when an answer did not come immediately. Perfection and anxiety were apparent on the working memory and processing speed subtests.

Verbal comprehension was a strength and perceptual reasoning created some emotional challenges for her. Tester recommended we work with her on puzzles.

My experience of her is that she is very interested in social aspects of school but not academic. She is very creative with regard to arts and crafts.

DD took the OLSAT this year and did not pass. I had purchased a practice OLSAT so I could get her used to the test (my older son did not pass either, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't anxiety due to feeling uncomfortable taking the test.) She did not score highly enough in the practice exercises we took at home either so it wasn't performance anxiety, and I knew it was unlikely she would pass.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited by LAF; 04/12/16 03:30 PM. Reason: privacy
    G
    G
    My DS7 has nearly the same WISC profile (though he hasn't taken the OLSAT).

The only insight I would have is that, if she is anything like my DS, she's not interested in school academics because it is not even close to being challenging enough for her. Do you have any options at all for acceleration? Is the OLSAT the only way to get services for her in your school district?

Last edited by George C; 07/29/15 04:45 AM.
    I
    I
    Do the scores from the OLSAT seem to reflect the same strengths/weaknesses as the scores from the WISC IV?

L
    L
    DD10 has a very similar WISC profile (especially in reasoning; with DD, though, her WMI and PSI are flipped, with WMI as her weakest area). DD has never taken the OLSAT, but has taken the CoGAT. DD's CogAT and WISC scores showed the same relative strengths (VCI/verbal), and her CogAT composite percentile was 99%.

DD's PSI was in the 99th percentile on the WISC (although still much lower than her VCI). DD tends to do very, very well on standardized tests. I have a theory that such tests (especially timed tests) favor kiddos with a high PSI, like DD (perhaps even unfairly so). Also, DD is not much of a perfectionist.

Are you dealing with a school/programs that will only look at the OLSAT? I believe that WISC is typically considered more accurate than OLSAT (individual testing versus group testing), although I know some programs are stubborn about only accepting their own tests. Those WISC scores, if accepted, can get her into just about any G&T program that will take them...

DD's overall happiness with school has gone downhill. She started school as a very enthusiastic student. Now, she seems to mainly enjoy the social aspects and calls school "boring." She is now in G&T and advanced programming at school, but I have come to suspect that she actually needs something that looks more like acceleration to stay engaged.

LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Okay, here are her OLSAT results.

[deleted]

Last edited by LAF; 04/12/16 03:31 PM. Reason: privacy
    G
    G
    By the way, What Do the Tests Tell Us provides a very interesting take on the OLSAT that may be directly related to your DD:

The most common group intelligence tests, OLSAT and CogAT, are used in districts and programs across the country. Notable gifted professionals recommend them for screening potentially gifted children. However, a small study noted a potential problem with the OLSAT and very gifted children. While the correlation between group and individual intelligence tests is quite high for average scores, in this study that correlation almost disappeared for gifted scores. This means that while an average child will score very similarly on a group IQ test and an individual IQ test, a gifted child may not score similarly at all. And the study suggests that this group test may even result in a negative correlation for some gifted children: the more gifted the child, the lower the group ability test score! "Investigations of the Otis-Lennon School Ability Test to Predict WISC-R Full Scale IQ for Referred Children" by Anna H. Avant and Marcia R. O'Neal, University of Alabama, Nov. 1986, ED286883 Though this study is no longer available from AskERIC, it can be obtained on microfiche from most education university libraries.
    So it's a bit ironic that the OLSAT, which is often used as a gifted screener, may actually act more like a gifted masker in some scenarios.

Last edited by George C; 07/29/15 08:20 AM.
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Both my kid appear to be creatively gifted kids. My son is an amazing artist with a crazy imagination, and my daughter can take a piece of fabric, cut some holes in it, wrap it in a certain way, and make a dress you could put on a runway.

Academically, they look just like the other kids at school. Unless you ask my DS about cryptids, biology, DNA or dangerous animals…

This kid is also obviously creatively gifted, and did not pass the OLSAT http://rafranzdavis.com/braedens-story-our-gifted-child-isnt-gifted-says-olsat/

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    As a generalization, highly divergent thinkers often do not test well on group standardized testing, especially those with forced-choice formats. Similar inconsistencies between their performance on self-selected activities and school-selected tasks may appear.

Individually-administered cognitive assessments tend to have more open-responses, and, of course, include the clinical judgement of the examiner.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    L
    L
    Interesting. I would have pegged my DD as a pretty creative or divergent thinker (full of original-sounding ideas), but when the school gave its "creativity test"...it was the only test she came out as average on (not sure that I think much of the test, honestly). Then again, since she is a good standardized test taker, maybe she isn't a divergent thinker.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by LAF
    Originally Posted by link
    our gifted child isn't gifted says olsat
    In general, privately administered IQ & achievement tests may identify whether an individual is gifted, whereas school-administered tests may indicate whether a child is a match for whatever type of gifted programs/services that school may offer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM