Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I
    I
    I agree with Eco. In reference to Indigo’s comment, I was raised working poor. I was not an overindulged whiny brat by any stretch of the imagination. I do have decent priorities, generally! However, when I was thrust into a neighborhood of peers who had so much more than me and seemed to BE so much more than me and who were often comparing (and yes one-upping) each other I got very sucked in… I felt inadequate and it did make me feel depressed. I recognized what was happening and “checked out” as much as I could form that group and formed my own that was much closer to me in income, outlook, etc. and was MUCH happier and back in my right state of mind so to speak … I look back and marvel how inadequate I once felt because I did not have the latest $800 stroller, was the only one who did not have chandelier and the professionally painted mural in the nursery and couldn’t afford the expensive Gymboree mommy and me classes everyone was going to with their 6 month old and shake my head… So, I think it is very easy to lose one’s perspective in that way! Yeah, totally petty. Totally not important to now or before then … but during that time… it can have an effect. My husband (raised much wealthier and more indulged than I) – not even remotely as affected as myself.

However, what is striking to me is that no one is talking about the very blatant reason this particular woman came so close to taking her life! She realized she is a lesbian… And, apparently, she correctly realized her parents and her church/culture/society maybe never accept her true self – her true identity. Her father said he was living to “hand her off to her husband some day” !!! I mean, yikes! Her father has still not accepted her. Living hiding such a thing because your parents will stop loving and accepting you, it’s gonna take a toll – a big one. I am not sure the real message here is about “achievement” as much as it pretends to be. Maybe it’s more about the cost of hiding who one really is, particularly when that real identity is lesbian…

I
    I
    Agreed.

Just because everyone's doing it, does not make it a worthwhile pastime.

R
    R
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Don't most adults spend their working lives "complying" in order to get paid?

I reject that whole view of things.

The fact that some adults are willing to amputate parts of their souls to fit in those little boxes is irrelevant. I am am not willing to be a cog in that machine. My kids shouldn't be grist for that mill. The fact your life sucks isn't justification for tormenting the next generation. Kids at SF Lowell or TJ or Boston Latin or Whitney or Stuyvesant shouldn't be working until 1:00am every night. Kids at PA or Gunn shouldn't be stepping in front of trains. Gifted education isn't tantamount to workaholism.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Irena
    I got very sucked in… So, I think it is very easy to lose one’s perspective in that way! Yeah, totally petty. Totally not important to now or before then … but during that time… it can have an effect.
    Yes, it's nearly an addiction... Congrats on your recovery! smile

However, what is striking to me is that no one is talking about the very blatant reason this particular woman came so close to taking her life!
    The article was quite a tossed-salad of stories and angles, including acne, first low grade, possible change of major and shift of planned career, self-doubt fueled by social media...

I
    I
    Originally Posted by indigo
    [quote=Irena]I got very sucked in… So, I think it is very easy to lose one’s perspective in that way! Yeah, totally petty. Totally not important to now or before then … but during that time… it can have an effect. Yes, it's nearly an addiction... Congrats on your recovery! smile

LOL thanks! I simply did not have the means to keep up at all so it was either "recover" somehow or continue to feel crappy and inadequate... I am sure different things about different people make them more or less resilient to it but it can affect happiness ... and can affect a great deal some times...

Last edited by Irena; 07/28/15 01:29 PM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Thomas Percy
    I really think it is the idea that everything has to be effortless perfect that is toxic.
    Agreed. Exactly. Unrealistic expectations.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    What does "a mediating factor" mean?
    Wikipedia explains it here.

I hope articles like this help raise our collective consciousness so we can have thoughtful conversations with our children about perception v. reality.
    Agreed.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    What does "a mediating factor" mean?
    Wikipedia explains it here.

Appreciate the link, but was hoping someone could dumb it down for me. Id be surprised to learn males of the species are more inclined toward negative self-eval via social media, but surprises are surprising...

Most of the men/boys I encounter IRL seem somewhat less likely to use FB to project an image of perfection, and more likely to use it to debate on political threads...I realize that may sound like I'm stereotyping--it's just an informal observation.

I'm mostly asking to increase my own awareness, professionally and personally. I currently operate under the assumption that women/girls are more susceptible to harsh self comparison in re: social media.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Irena
    [quote=Irena]I got very sucked in… So, I think it is very easy to lose one’s perspective in that way! Yeah, totally petty. Totally not important to now or before then … but during that time… it can have an effect. Yes, it's nearly an addiction... Congrats on your recovery! smile

LOL thanks! I simply did not have the means to keep up at all so it was either "recover" somehow or continue to feel crappy and inadequate... I am sure different things about different people make them more or less resilient to it but it can affect happiness ... and can affect a great deal some times...
    I'm glad you reevaluated/recovered. New motherhood is a huge identity adjustment. Kinda hard to know where your priorities lie in wake of all the changes. We all want what's best for our kids, easy to be mesmerized by shiny symbols of successful parenting. And so much easier when you find your tribe. smile

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by raptor_dad
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Don't most adults spend their working lives "complying" in order to get paid?

I reject that whole view of things.

The fact that some adults are willing to amputate parts of their souls to fit in those little boxes is irrelevant. I am am not willing to be a cog in that machine. My kids shouldn't be grist for that mill. The fact your life sucks isn't justification for tormenting the next generation. Kids at SF Lowell or TJ or Boston Latin or Whitney or Stuyvesant shouldn't be working until 1:00am every night. Kids at PA or Gunn shouldn't be stepping in front of trains. Gifted education isn't tantamount to workaholism.

I agree completely. Thanks for saying this so eloquently. Workaholism isn't the only option by a wide margin.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM