Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    OP Offline
    Link here

Quite terrifying stuff (story ends better for its initial subject than its ominous start would suggest).

Never heard of 'lawn mower' parents before either - something to self-monitor for, for sure...

Become what you are
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Just read that story this morning. Definitely something to think about.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    I read that earlier as well. I'm thinking the key things to watch for are perfectionism (as opposed to trying to meet a goal or objective as well as one can) and fostering independence (vs. reliance on parents). In my career, I've had the privilege of working with fresh graduates and the perfectionism thing can really be crippling if not addressed.

E
    E
    I read an article a few months ago that focused on Madison Holleran - interesting to see the contrast. You're right that it's scary stuff.

B
    B
    Thanks for the link, this is something I find very interesting since I have a DD who is at university. This is a big topic of discussion with my rl friends whom have college age kids. The article hits very close to home. Can't talk details here because they aren't my story's to tell. But I find it easy to believe the statement "Anxiety and depression, in that order, are now the most common mental health diagnoses among college students"

Last edited by bluemagic; 07/27/15 10:20 PM.
    Where the faulty comparisons become dangerous is when a student already carries feelings of shame, according to Dr. Anthony L. Rostain, a pediatric psychiatrist on Penn’s faculty who was co-chairman of the task force on student psychological health and welfare. “Shame is the sense one has of being defective or, said another way, not good enough,” Dr. Rostain said. “It isn’t that one isn’t doing well. It’s that ‘I am no good.’” Instead of thinking “I failed at something, these students think, ‘I am a failure.’”

Hmmm.

You know what OTHER connection there is between college, female freshman, and shame?

Well, for as many as one in five of them-- it's sexual assault, that's what.

But that wouldn't be the fault of parents though-- so I can see why nobody would want that particular connection to be made. But it's the very first thing that I thought of when I read Madison Holleran's heartbreaking story. I wonder. I was that faculty member that students disclosed to for a number of years-- and I will say that a lot of those broken and wounded young women that I saw never told their parents why they were suddenly struggling academically. NEVER. They would have died rather than have their parents know.

I believe that one in five is probably a somewhat conservative estimate by the time that they graduate, by the way.

In those kinds of numbers, that IS a mental health driver on a campus.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    LAF Offline
    Totally agree with HK on this one….

D
    D
    Ah, yes. Another way to blame parents. Just what we needed. HK is spot on.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Well, for as many as one in five of them-- it's sexual assault, that's what.

But that wouldn't be the fault of parents though-- so I can see why nobody would want that particular connection to be made. But it's the very first thing that I thought of when I read Madison Holleran's heartbreaking story. I wonder. I was that faculty member that students disclosed to for a number of years-- and I will say that a lot of those broken and wounded young women that I saw never told their parents why they were suddenly struggling academically. NEVER. They would have died rather than have their parents know.

I believe that one in five is probably a somewhat conservative estimate by the time that they graduate, by the way.
    I think it is an overestimate.

One in Five?
    By Jake New
    Inside Higher Education
    December 15, 2014

A report released last week by the Bureau of Justice Statistics and based on the National Crime Victimization Survey, found that the rate for sexual assault among college women is 6.1 in 1,000. If one in five is considered by some to overestimate the rate of sexual assault, the opposite is true for the NCVS numbers. Even the bureau itself has expressed doubts about the survey's ability to accurately count cases of sexual assault, and earlier this year it asked the National Research Council to look into the matter.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    If you read the BJC report:

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/rsavcaf9513.pdf

you'll also note that the follow-up interviews also estimate that 80% of sexual assaults in college-age female students are not reported to law enforcement. I think whether it is an over or underestimate (and my bias is in the under direction), it is clear that we do not have a good research or societal handle on either the behavior or its prevalence.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM