Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 250 of 268 1 2 248 249 250 251 252 267 268
    T
    T
    In the spirit of the last few posts:
    DD5 is a kindergartner in a developmental preschool and will go to grade school in fall. Today we had the big "ready or not" conference, and I got a glowing report that my little stubborn screamer was an absolute sunshine in class, always motivated and the first to volunteer for whatever activity was proposed. Also they told me that she was amazingly pro-social, always aware of a younger kid needing help and being right there to do it even before the teachers notice. We agreed that having a disabled baby brother was part of the reason and that we have to make sure that she doesnt feel overly pushed into a "helper" role. But I am still so very proud of he and told her so!

T
    T
    Funniest brag ever for our family: DS9 got his latest report card and this most unathletic child of them all got an A in PE! He told me that their current PE teacher places a lot of emphasis on playing by the rules, which is how he ended up with his first PE A ever, and kids like a friend of his, who actually is athletic, but messes around in class, ended up with a C. While I am philosophically completely opposed to this teachers attitude, it has given him a lot of confidence for the upcoming transition to middle school, so I won't complain. He wasn't especially proud of the glowing comments on his performance in maths and language arts, nor bothered by his Bs in the science/social hybrid or arts and crafts (they don't discuss high school physics or chemistry in class, or demand high school level technical drawings, and he keeps losing his worksheets, and has difficulties finishing his projects), he was just so pleased with his A in PE.
    I, however, was very proud that the teacher wrote he is an asset to the class because he manages conflicts so well, and supplies enriching knowledge and vocabulary to the subjects covered (as opposed to, he never shuts up about what he's interested in). I am really all around pleased with his elementary school experience, his personal and social growth, he's always felt included, had friends, and and wasn't too badly stunted and frustrated in his academics. I don't think one can ask for more for an HG+ kid in a regular school!

Last edited by Tigerle; 05/17/16 02:23 AM.
    R
    RRD Offline
    R
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    Funniest brag ever for our family: DS9 got his latest report card and this most unathletic child of them all got an A in PE! He told me that their current PE teacher places a lot of emphasis on playing by the rules, which is how he ended up with his first PE A ever, and kids like a friend of his, who actually is athletic, but messes around in class, ended up with a C. While I am philosophically completely opposed to this teachers attitude, it has given him a lot of confidence for the upcoming transition to middle school, so I won't complain. He wasn't especially proud of the glowing comments on his performance in maths and language arts, nor bothered by his Bs in the science/social hybrid or arts and crafts (they don't discuss high school physics or chemistry in class, or demand high school level technical drawings, and he keeps losing his worksheets, and has difficulties finishing his projects), he was just so pleased with his A in PE.
    I, however, was very proud that the teacher wrote he is an asset to the class because he manages conflicts so well, and supplies enriching knowledge and vocabulary to the subjects covered (as opposed to, he never shuts up about what he's interested in). I am really all around pleased with his elementary school experience, his personal and social growth, he's always felt included, had friends, and and wasn't too badly stunted and frustrated in his academics. I don't think one can ask for more for an HG+ kid in a regular school!

Maybe I'm too influenced by social media, but there should be a "like" button for posts like this one. smile

U
    U
    DS8: I want to learn how to do origami.
    Me (being a terrible parent and remembering teaching other children, including DD, origami): This website looks pretty good, but stick to these really easy ones because it can be hard to do if you don't know how. Also, please no freaking out if it's frustrating. I can help you at another time, but I'm busy right now.

DS8, several days later, having produced pile of advanced origami (cranes, multi-piece 3-dimensional stars, etc) with virtually no assistance: You said origami was hard, but it's not really very hard.

T
    T
    So, are you telling us the freak outs end? It's all just a decade long phase? smile

L
    L
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    So, are you telling us the freak outs end? It's all just a decade long phase? smile

You took the words outta my mouth! And why do they always want to learn something complicated when I'm busy? Ha.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Doing so forces them to either tackle a challenge independently, with a little push from parent that communicates to them that they are capable of doing it without help, or it gives them an out for why they didn't try or succeed at that hard task--because "you didn't help me". Either way, it works for kids. If they try and are successful, great. If they try and fail, or don't try, it's not as devastating.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    U
    U
    Of course, because I posted that, yesterday he got super annoyed with some 62-step reindeer that he couldn't complete. wink (He was randomly Googling origami, which is not a good idea. Some instructions are great and some are terrible.) But he actually really didn't want my help. I suspect he thinks I won't be that helpful. (He's wrong--I actually went through a lengthy origami phase as a child--but he can go on thinking that if he likes!)

R
    R
    I'm going into the gifted program at my school next year! I'm so happy about this. I don't know how good/fun/interesting the program is, but it's something, anyway.

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.
    I
    I
    Raevyn, here's wishing you all the best in your gifted program next year! smile

If you might be interested in a few tips on student self-advocacy, these are some good links:
    1. YouTube video, Davidson Discussions - Self Advocacy
    2. Self-Advocacy, The Power of Speaking Up
    (Excerpted from this resource on the Davidson Database: Tips for Parents: Preparing your gifted child to leave your nest and build their own)

Page 250 of 268 1 2 248 249 250 251 252 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM