Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 104 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    avenlyspray, sobadiet, MelodyLeigh, kristen508, karam2008
    11,451 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Originally Posted by Platypus101
    Warning: soapbox..... This is also why I get so frustrated by teachers and family members who constantly dismiss DS's learning needs by insisting that "He MUST learn to get along in the real world." Well, actually, mostly, no. I am quite confident that the moment he is allowed to escape his public school box, he will put himself into a reality of his own choosing - and it will NOT involve spending all day every day trapped in a room with people with whom he has no shared interests, listening to a one-way drone of highly linear, repetitive, shallow and slow-moving information about things he knew years ago and don't interest him even vaguely. Your reality, lady, not his.

Actually, I disagree: this idea is framed here in too extreme a way to be true to my experience.
    If I understand correctly, Platypus101 was speaking of a child being denied access to higher level curriculum until EF skills are mastered, whereas DeeDee's child is subject accelerated in math and receives IEP/504 remediation/supports/accommodations for EF skills? Therefore it would seem that there is agreement in principle, that access to higher level curriculum ought not to be withheld until EF skills are mastered?
    The idea that the person should spend time in an otherwise inappropriate learning environment to get EF skills is of course ridiculous.

one may be born with a particular set of predispositions for EF, but one can learn strategies for managing. What you're born with is not who you are in this regard.
    This ability to develop calls to mind ideas presented in Carol Dweck's book, mindset.

U
    U
    My DH has poor EF skills and it has hindered him in the workplace. He is by no means a failure, but with his IQ things could have gone better. Just being honest.

(Some of these are people who go to grad school but spend much too long there because they can't get it together to write consistently

DH is ABD (all but dissertation) in his field (he left with a master's) due largely to this.

Last edited by ultramarina; 07/19/15 07:26 AM.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    I agree with this to some extent. This is really one of the biggest fears I've had for my DS. On the other hand there is some "middle ground". Not all low EF kiddo's are going to go down that path. And not all of these kids are "low" EF it's just their weakest point, they are average in EF but since they are gifted teachers & parents expect above grade/age level independence because they are so "bright". Wouldn't it be nice if gifted but lower EF kids didn't decide they were stupid after having troubles keeping up with those with high organizational skills and therefore didn't go down this spiral.

Yes, I completely agree. We've tried to help our DD's EF develop and we've also tried to help her be resilient by letting her experience "controlled failure" and see what happens when she lets all the organization tasks fall by the wayside. By "controlled failure" I mean get a bad grade on the test, but not fail the required class. At a certain stage parents step in to insist that the homework get turned in, the teacher get contacted, and generally model what to do when things are not going well. I think this is a key component of parenting any child--modeling what to do when things go awry.

Originally Posted by bluemagic
    My last point is I've seen kids who were scaffold and taught coping skills end up with high anxiety who have had bumps in the road once they are really on their own. Scaffolding students into a situation that can't cope with on their own is it's own recipe for disaster.

Yes. This has proven to be quite tricky in practice. DD skipped a grade and I did not anticipate that the resultant year behind in EF would prove to be as big a challenge as it was. She is so far ahead academically that it has been hard in the teen years to remember that she is just average, for her peer group, in EF. This asynchrony became more apparent in high school, when more things had legal requirements for age. A big chunk of the scaffolding has been planning the minutia so that she has done key "real life" things before leaving for college. Learn to drive, have a "real" paying job, set up a bank account, it goes on and on and we had one year less to do it. The scary part for us is we won't know how we've done for decades.

S
    S
    I think this is a difficult thing to predict. First, there is no evidence that executive functioning skills should be anything other than age appropriate regardless of IQ, there is no research that indicated that the two are correlated. Secondly, EF continues to develop well in to the twenties, as many of these skills deal with frontal lobe development. So unless you are comparing EF skills in the late twenties it is a pointless endeavor. Also, people often think of motivation as EF, maybe it is and maybe it is not, but a parent wanting a child to do something is not the same as a child wanting it themselves;).

LAF Offline
    Originally Posted by sallymom
    but a parent wanting a child to do something is not the same as a child wanting it themselves;).

Absolutely. My DS is extremely motivated…to learn more about Minecraft wink. School stuff? Not so much.

T
    T
    Try minecraft as a bribe: twenty minutes of homework earns him twenty minutes of minecraft...worked *great*'for us for violin practice!

T
    T
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    My DH has poor EF skills and it has hindered him in the workplace. He is by no means a failure, but with his IQ things could have gone better. Just being honest.

(Some of these are people who go to grad school but spend much too long there because they can't get it together to write consistently

DH is ABD (all but dissertation) in his field (he left with a master's) due largely to this.

This is me, too. Though it has worked out better for me in the workplace - external controls for task initiation and task completion, unlike academia....I still remember being so desperate in my first real job (doing real stuff as a lawyer that made a difference to people as opposed to being a research assistant at uni) I phoned my mom from my desk! She listened to me whine about how hopeless I was at the bureaucratic stuff and was sure to be transferred into the outbacks the told me "you know, this is stuff one can learn. And you will." Not she never contradicted my saying I was hopeless.

I manage to be good enough these days, but compensate a lot with sheer brilliance. Ahem.

LAF Offline
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    Try minecraft as a bribe: twenty minutes of homework earns him twenty minutes of minecraft...worked *great*'for us for violin practice!

Tigerle - my son needs to get more exercise, so he gets Minecraft time for swimming lengths.. so far it has worked very well smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM