Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    0 registered (), 0 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    sreedevi9, agen, Postini, Phaedenit, babyrazia
    10900 Registered Users
    January
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
    Topic Options
    #21742 - 07/30/08 06:26 PM Re: Lego Mindstorms/ FLL/ Lego Engineering [Re: incogneato]
    Dazed&Confuzed Offline

No. the retail version comes with the software. The education version does not come w/ the software b/c it assumes schools would be buying a site license.

I can't recall about the storage bin...i got a tackle box which fits all the components nicely. In the top part, fits the balls, wheels, NXT brick, cables. Beneath that, are 4 of those tackle boxes where you put in the moveable dividers. All the rest of the parts are sorted by type in those bins.

#21744 - 07/30/08 06:32 PM Re: Lego Mindstorms/ FLL/ Lego Engineering [Re: Dazed&Confuzed]
    incogneato Offline

Loc: up in my head.......
    Thanks Dazey! I'm pretty excited, that's a great price. The only problem is that Scholastic doesn't actually have them in stock yet!
    Oops!
    They said the are expecting 60 and that it shouldn't be a problem.

Ahem......

Oh well, the coupon expires tomorrow, so even if I have to wait a month, I will still get that price and I won't be billed til it ships.

Thank you so much for posting that, I appreciate it.

Now, there are so many other components I want to buy as well!

I think I will buy one thing per month and dollar cost average the whole project!
    grin

#21745 - 07/30/08 06:35 PM Re: Lego Mindstorms/ FLL/ Lego Engineering [Re: Dazed&Confuzed]
    Barbara Offline

wowza!

#21748 - 07/30/08 06:45 PM Re: Lego Mindstorms/ FLL/ Lego Engineering [Re: Barbara]
    Dazed&Confuzed Offline

Ok, just you so you hate me even more, the LEGO Education Resource kit can't be beat as an add on to the NXT retail kit. The bicycle tires which come with it are too cool. You're half way to Christmas. Then there'll probably be a sale on the rechargeable battery packs for the NXT.

http://www.legoeducation.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=1277

When I bought this kit it was $59 but w/ the sinking dollar, all the LEGO kits are rising in price. This kit will also fit into the tackle box I bought.

OH I see the storage bin that comes w/ the education set. No, the retail kit comes in a rinky dinky box which most tear apart trying to get the parts out of it.

If you can, be very careful and you can remove the box which holds the sensors. That box is glued to the bigger box. If you remove that little box intact, it's perfect for sitting in the top of a tackle box and prevents the sensors from knocking around when not in use.

Also, if you receive some package which has foam rectangles for filler, I cut a square out of that which snuggly fits the NXT brick and such so they don't bang around the top of the tackle box. It was 1inch thick foam that was 2ftx1ft which came in a package.

This guys sells storage cases that me makes and puts those little pictures of the parts inside. http://www.roboticslearning.com/store/storage-nxt-fll It's pricey though. I liked that storage bin but couldn't find it in any stores and the shipping was astronomical. I just went to a hunting,fishing store and bought one.

#21753 - 07/30/08 07:25 PM Re: Lego Mindstorms/ FLL/ Lego Engineering [Re: Dazed&Confuzed]
    kimck Offline

Dazey - your pushing me to the edge! We have an NXT (my husband is not the best at sharing it either. ). The extra stuff would be awesome! This would be great for DS to give to DH for x-mas right? (justifying ... justifying ...)

#21755 - 07/30/08 07:33 PM Re: Lego Mindstorms/ FLL/ Lego Engineering [Re: kimck]
    Dazed&Confuzed Offline

I have the compass sensor as well which is fun to play with. Since we're a big soccer family, I'd like to get the infrared sensor and IR ball since we have two NXTs, we can have family Robocup Soccer matches!

I have the old LEGO Ed thermometer for the NXT but heard that LEGO ed has made a new one which hooks directly to NXT and will be more metal to withstand chemicals and higher/lowertemps - gosh darn it.

#21756 - 07/30/08 08:06 PM Re: Lego Mindstorms/ FLL/ Lego Engineering [Re: Dazed&Confuzed]
    incogneato Offline

Dazey,

I don't think you realize this, but you have just become my NXT advisor!
    grin

Aha, DH's birthday is coming up. The girls can give it to HIM for his birthday to work with them on! wink

Kim, you brilliant thing! shocked

#21778 - 07/31/08 04:34 AM Re: Lego Mindstorms/ FLL/ Lego Engineering [Re: incogneato]
    Dazed&Confuzed Offline

Perfect plan!!!!!!!!!!!

#21949 - 07/31/08 06:12 PM Re: Lego Mindstorms/ FLL/ Lego Engineering [Re: Dazed&Confuzed]
    Dazed&Confuzed Offline

Someone posted at the NXTSTep blog that LEGO shop at home is now bundling the rechargeable battery pack and charger for $55! I think I got mine on sale and it was $70!

#21952 - 07/31/08 06:30 PM Re: Lego Mindstorms/ FLL/ Lego Engineering [Re: Dazed&Confuzed]
    incogneato Offline

I hope that's a new price, not a sale price! I'm not buying anything else for awhile, although I do know we should purchase it.

I told DD8 I ordered it for Dad's birthday from her and her sister and she was super excited. She also loves being in on the scam , I mean secret.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    Open college classes to everyone
    by mithawk
    08:02 AM
    Flipped Classroom
    by aeh
    01/18/21 02:15 PM
    Counting to 10
    by aquinas
    01/18/21 09:04 AM