Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Check out the NXT STep Blog for the entry by a highschool teacher using NXT-G 2.0 and datalogging with middle schoolers. NXT Step BLog

Also, the NXT retail version has been repackaged. Gone is the sound sensor but there is a color sensor as well as a zamor shooter.

W
    W

I'm new to this forum, just wanted to say this is an excellent discussion thread about FIRST LEGO League (FLL) and the Mindstorms NXT robot kit. As an FLL coach I would say it can be a very rewarding program for gifted and highly gifted kids.

There is also a very comprehensive forum at the official FLL website:
    http://usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/fll/default.aspx?id=970

For any of you in Los Angeles (West LA area), I have posted a notice in the "Regions" section about our 2010 Lego robotics meetings getting started soon.

Happy to answer any questions by PM.

W
    W

"Hi. I saw your post and had a couple of questions. We're nowhere near your area, so this is purely informational, if you don't mind. In general, how much of a time commitment do you, as a coach, expect from your participants? For example, from the beginning of the season (Sep?) until the first round of competitions in Nov/Dec, how many hours per week would you expect/anticipate your group or team to be meeting?"

Thanks for your note. FLL is an activity that can be pursued at a light or recreational level, or all the way up to an intense or highly competitive level. Kids can have fun and learn a lot anywhere along this spectrum, if it's the level they wanted. The range could be as little as 2-3 hours per week, or up to 10-15 hours per week.

There is a well-known FLL group in New Jersey that maintains an excellent website. The lower part of this web page has a good summary of the range of possible involvements:
    http://www.landroids.org/?page_id=124

They also have a document there called "Parents Frequently Asked Questions" which is the best unofficial FLL summary I've seen for parents. Very informative, and maybe a little eye-opening too.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM