Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    KAR120C Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We did one 2-hour meeting a week for JFLL last year and that was fine... My main concern about having a too-small team is that I know someone will drop out and I really don't want to have to pressure the kids to finish, especially since we have a late-November deadline here -- like 12 weeks total! (eek!)

There is a research component too. I can't speak to the FLL level research (Dottie?) but the JFLL was a fair bit of work entirely aside from the building. We have another team in our homeschool group who really excels at the research end of things, but I know they also put a huge amount of time and energy into it.

Our Lego Engineering must have been a different thing altogether... That's one thing I can't stand about the whole Lego system... it's so hard to tell what's what and whether you're getting what you intend! Just on all the different kits called "Mindstorms" you have a ridiculous range of possibilities. *sigh*

SO -- I think I'm hitting "submit" in ten minutes... wish me luck! wink

Erica
    KAR120C Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Did it! Now we're even Dazey wink

I got the NXT, the Mayan Adventure, and the NXT Zoo book... and they're supposed to ship next Tuesday, so I might have them within a week! Woohoo!!

We're going to get nothing else done this summer, aren't we! LOL

Erica
    I hope it's all good stuff! laugh

Kriston
    For those thinking of coaching FLL teams. Take a look at this. http://www.legoeducation.com/store/...=1459&c=0&t=0&l=0&bhcp=1

I've not seen it personally but it's from Jim Kelly, it's probably pretty darn good.

Q
    Q
    And just to add to the confusion - I believe DS' robotics leads to Robocup, not First. As I understand the difference, the competitions focus on autonomous as opposed to remote control operated robots. Supposedly, more concentration on programming, less on building. He's not there yet, but here's a link to robocup: http://rcj.sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu/

And thanks for the link to Mars Base Command.

Wow, thanks for all the great info on FLL and JFLL. Is everyone that is posting working with sons? I have two girls I have been thinking might like this. They had a mini display at the science museum that was a very watered down version and you could build very simple robots and program them to do two things. Both girls were very interested, except is was so basic it was almost confusing if that makes sense.
    Anyone have any experience with girls participating in Mindstorms?

The FLL is not remote control robots. the robots navigate around the mat. They can come back to home base to have a program run on the brick or to change attachments. Generally, the FLL challenges are not done with only one program but rather several programs which kids run with specific buttons on the brick or by a menu. But they are not controlling the robots movements via a remote control.

For my JFLL team, the theme was energy. The boys had to pick something in a room in the house and determine where it's energy came from. My team did an energy audit of the kitchen. they chose the blender. So we determined where our electricity comes from - not easy b/c of the deregulation of the power company. Much to my shock, the power plant was very excited to have the team come. they had this whole presentation ready for them including snacks and drinks. We all got official manager hard hats to keep and had a tour of the plant. the boys then went home and built out of legos, where the electricity comes from, how it gets to our house, right down to the blender. After the competition, we took the whole LEGO creation back to the powerplant so the boys could show it to the engineers. we had lunch with them all and had a great time. Of course, being a company, the took photos and wrote an article for their national company newspaper. lol.

Oh and the LEGO creation had to use at least one simple machine and have at least one moving part. I basically let the team do all the work. However, when we got to hte exhibition, where most teams were school teams, the posters were all typed up, no spelling errors, perfect grammar, etc ...

No girls here but there were several all girls teams at the JFLL/FLL competition as well as mixed-gender teams.

the think about FLL is that there can be something for everyone. Some teams are quite large w/ 8-10kids. Some kids don't like building but like programming. Some will like building but not programming. SOme kids do most of the research. The discussion w/ the judges can be an important part of the competition especially if you're lacking points on the robot performance end - from what I've gathered.

Also, for those interested, 4H now has LEGO MINDSTORMS clubs as well as K'nex clubs. they are solely centered on those two platforms (you don't have to have cows lol). So even if your local 4H doesn't already have one, you can contact them about starting one. If they don't know what to do, I can put them in touch w/ the head of our 4H here. the LEGO Mindstorms ran an ad and got twice as many kids as they expected. they were scrambling to try to get more robot kits.

My friend runs a robotics club. I think she strives for 1 kit per 3 kids at the most.

Thanks Dazey. Yes, I know that FLL is not remote control robots. The museum set up was not remote control, it was similar to Mindstorms, just very simplified.

I just looked at the JFLL challenge and I think the girls are beyond that. Does anyone know any age restictions for FLL?

Still looking for girl parents who are involved!!!!!!!!!

I see Girl Scouts has partnered with First, that looks pretty interesting:

http://www.girlscouts.org/news/news_releases/2008/first_partnership.asp

KAR1200 - when you say "Elementary Engineering 2" are you referring to this product? http://www.legoeducation.com/store/...y=20&ID=1337&c=0&t=0&l=0

or this one? http://www.legoeducation.com/store/detail.aspx?pl=6&ID=1468&c=0&t=0&l=0

Dazey

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 06/26/08 06:41 PM.
    Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM