Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I just got my daughter's Iowa test results. She's a first grader. They take a nationally normed test every year. Last year it was Stanford. When she was 4 she took the Woodcock Johnson.

Most of the scores are in the 98-99 percentile. 3 are not. She was in the 85th percentile for reading, with a GE of 2.6, word analysis was 81 percentile and listening was 67th percentile.

BUT she reads at a really high level. I think she had close to the same GE as a 4 year old and she had about 2 grade levels higher GE last year on the Stanford (and, yes, I know the GE stuff is total garbage.) In any case, I'm assuming she just misbubbled some things. I'm just not really worried about that.

I have more questions about listening and word analysis.

Is word analysis something you need? She learned to read whole words and she's not the best speller, but she can still make mainly As on spelling tests. I was an early reader as well and I know that there were some skills I didn't develop because I didn't have reading instruction. She doesn't get real reading instruction either. I am curious about whether I need to be concerned with her having missed some kind of word analysis skill that is important. Does anyone know if I should be concerned about this?

She has ALWAYS scored low on listening. This is very concerning to me because while she gets good grades, her teachers tell me that she does not listen. She also has trouble looking people in the eyes, so she doesn't appear to be listening and she has DCD. She gets very low behavior scores for listening, following directions, and using time wisely. That's her achilles heel at school.

To me the fact that she scores low in this area means that she needs help, not punishment--but I don't see them using any other strategies. Does anyone know what the listening section entails and how I can do things at home that help her increase her listening skills? I feel like most of her teaching has to come from home because school doesn't know how to teach the things she needs, but I don't know what skills these standardized listening tests encompass or what I can do to help her develop them.

Also, if I ask to talk to someone at school about this Iowa test will I just look like a crazy lady that's not happy with her child's generally very high scores? It's not about wanting high scores, it's about me seeing problems that no one addresses because they aren't severely affecting her in elementary school.

C
    C
    I had similar concerns about the listening scores earlier this year. Here's the thread, in case it is helpful.
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....est_Literal_vs_Inference.html#Post209008

We hear the listening complaint off and on (although less this last year). I'm no longer sure in our kid's case that it is so much "listening" as it is "no longer paying attention because what's the point, I already understand the lesson" or "I'm busy thinking of what I want to do instead of what you want me to do (in other words, not obeying, instead of not listening)."

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I will read that thread.

Just some more info. The whole test is actually a listening test because the teacher reads the questions. That frustrates my daughter but she still does okay on the non-listening read parts, which indicates that listening may really be a problem. She insists that there was no real reading on the test and the reading section was a listening to stories section. But that doesn't make sense to me at all.

I
    I
    Understood.org has information about learning and attention issues which may be of interest.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Taking as read all the caveats about what the ITBS actually measures on each section, I will mention some general considerations regarding the relationship between listening and word analysis skills, especially with your report that she is mainly a sight reader, not a decoder. Word analysis is primarily phonetic decoding skills, particularly in the primary years (morphology becomes more important at the higher levels), which is closely tied to listening skills in the sense of phonological processing. Both are also directly related to phonetic encoding (spelling) skills. I expect that she is probably learning to spell by sight, just as she reads by sight. It may be that her visual memory is good enough that this will never become a hindrance to her, but it's honestly too early to tell, in first grade. Whether she has a true underlying deficit of the LD sort, or just lacks instruction in phonological processing and phonetics, there may be some value in trying a relatively inexpensive home spelling intervention that includes some PP, such as the OG-based All About Spelling, or OG-based Logic of English (probably Essentials level).

For data on whether listening really is an issue for her, you might consider auditory processing testing, and speech and language assessment. I don't see any reason to be really worried about the reading comprehension, either, but if that finding turns out not to be an artifact, that would come out in formal assessment of language comprehension.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM