Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    kimck #21847 07/31/08 10:39 AM
    Oh, kimck, believe me the cost is definitely a consideration for us. Not an easy thing. We are testing, again, because we need more answers. The psychologist who first tested MrWiggly two years ago told me that given recent events, behaviors and test scores she would recommend re-testing at this point. She felt his SB5 scores were low and thinks the results will be more stable now (at age 7.5) and agreed that we need more input to help us with behaviors. So we just made the decision to go to Dr. Ruf for a different perspective. My husband really hated the idea of more testing at first but finally agreed that we needed the answers to help us in terms of school and behaviors. Although he's hoping the scores will show ME that we need to move to another state on behalf of MrWiggly's education! wink

kimck #21848 07/31/08 10:40 AM
    I'm on board with you there, my dear killjoy. The holistic approach seems to fit well with my family. I did give both girls an online personality profile and it was dead on. The girls are literally polar opposites. Then I read the descriptions to them and asked them if they thought it was describing them.

A big yes! And yes, I am very interested to hear how Dr. Ruf helps Mr. Wiggly. I wish you the best of luck and safe travels.

Here's the child personality quiz link, someone has posted it here before:

http://www.personalitypage.com/kids.html

incogneato #21858 07/31/08 10:55 AM
    It's all about what you need at the time. If you know that the schools aren't worth the slog to you, and you don't really need more testing data for any other other purpose, then I think you're 100% right to spend the money elsewhere, kimck. We're certainly done with testing DS7 for that very reason. Maybe another WJ-3 after a couple more years of homeschooling to be sure he's making sufficient gains. But that's it.

Now, DS4 is getting tested the second he steps foot in public-school K. We'll get the free testing and then (hopefully) we will be better equipped to decide what to do about 1st grade for him.

Kriston
    incogneato #21866 07/31/08 11:09 AM
    K
    K
    I could totally see that Doodlebug! I feel pretty lucky DS hit the ceiling on his school's screener in kindergarten. He could have so easily had a bad day on that group test and we'd be scratching our heads right now.

And thanks for the validation 'Neato! I like the use of the word "holistic". And P.S. I hope you're keeping us up to date on your situation for fall!

kimck #21867 07/31/08 11:15 AM
    K
    K
    And PS thanks for that link again! It just totally nailed DS (ENP).

kimck #21885 07/31/08 12:46 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    I think I will have our library do an inter-library loan for it, because it really does sound like it would be an interesting read and maybe help us with a general idea of where he places on the spectrum. We're kind of doing things backwards, since school was such a disaster. I tried to get the data to help illuminate the behaviors/abilities I was seeing, but the school was refusing. Then my mommy gut kicked in and said that regardless of what his IQ was he was drowning at school and the only thing I could think to do without scores was to bring him home (there's a public gifted school here, but it requires IQ scores).

So, now I'm trying to go back and fill in the blanks- Why was school such a disaster for him? Why is he capable of learning things not from thin air, but in insanely large gulps? Fine, he's gifted, but is he "will never be able to thrive in public school" gifted or is this a personality issue we need to work through (he says he doesn't ever want to go back, that the next time he goes to a school it will be college)?

All of these questions and a full scale assessment is just financially not feasible in the near future. I'm hoping that with my observations not just as his mother, but as his teacher and then resources like this board and books like Dr. Ruf's I'll be able to find some answers even if we won't know everything. But, it's hard to tell whether books just say what I want to hear or are actually sound resources, so I thought I'd check before I got too excited!

I love hearing everyone's stories and experiences, it really does help that even if I can't fully identify with DS with all the kids (because you guys' kids are amazing!), I at least see something of him in there and it feels a little less crazy and lonely.

gratified3 #21903 07/31/08 02:12 PM
    But if the kid is playing chess in his head, is school really working for him? I'd argue no.

He may be compliant, but his needs aren't being met, and some not-great habits are forming...

Kriston
    gratified3 #21904 07/31/08 02:14 PM
    K
    K
    Gratified, that sounds a lot like my experience with Ruf's levels and my DS. My DD4 is more likely to fall into her levels cleanly.

And I totally agree with the fit into public school being a personality thing. I know of non-GT kids that are as miserable as DS7 in our public schools as he is. My daughter however would love it, I'm quite sure. Is definitely all about the individual kids and so it is hard to make any sense out of the levels. Like someone else said, if your HG+ child is enjoying school and happy you're much less likely to go to someone like Dr. Ruf.

I kind of feel like it doesn't matter if DS is the 1 in 100 or the 100,000 kid (or 1 in 20 kid for that matter). If he's not learning in school and is miserable, time for a change.

gratified3 #21920 07/31/08 03:41 PM
    OH gratified....I so envy you!!! I've tried to teach my son to check out like that but nope ... and I'm beginning to realize that it's more about DS's personality and his dissatisfaction with school than IQ. He's MG I think rather than HG but he's quite miserable...or at least he says to me...teacher says he's very happy during the day. I think he should have skipped K and then he'd likely be Ok now or at least, better. I do notice he is getting lazy intellectually and DH even remarked about it so that really worries me.

gratified3 #21921 07/31/08 03:48 PM
    Originally Posted by gratified3
    Well . . . . since I know the kid in question, I'd argue that I'm a better judge of his needs and whether school meets them, which seems much more complicated than whether he can check out by playing chess in his head. He happens to love playing chess in his head,

Even in professional life with a cohort of seriously HG folks around me, I encounter slow situations and I still occupy myself in thought . . . . something I suspect I started learning in first grade.

I didn't mean to offend you. Obviously I wasn't suggesting that I know the child better, and I certainly didn't intend to attack your choices. I know how hard this is. I'm sorry if that's how it came out.

What I *did* mean to say is that in general, I believe that "compliant" and "served" aren't necessarily the same thing, and I think it pays to consider the distinction between the two.

I "checked out" in school by reading novels behind my textbook and writing notes to friends (and boyfriends, as I got older). I happened to love that, too, but I recognize now that it wasn't necessarily good for me. That ability to entertain myself serves me in line at the bank, too, but I think it also left me underchallenged and not good at self-starting for a lot of years. As a result of my experiences and even worse ones from my DH, I don't think that sort of scenario is necessarily harmless.

My opinion. No offense intended. Feel free to ignore.

Kriston
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM