Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 220 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    incogneato #21804 07/31/08 07:46 AM
    I was all: "Oh, I'm glad you like it because I'm never doing that again. Can someone please get me a sandwich or something?"

ROFL!!! 'Neato, that is too funny! laugh laugh laugh

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Kriston #21805 07/31/08 07:46 AM
    Oh no! shocked

incogneato #21808 07/31/08 07:50 AM
    It was okay. I was too tired to actually get a good bite out of him.

wink

DH and I did later theorize about the best cooking methods for an infant. My mom was horrified. DH and I thought it was hilarious.

I favored roasting, BTW. grin

Kriston
    Kriston #21809 07/31/08 07:51 AM
    shocked eek shocked eek shocked eek shocked eek

ROFL!

incogneato #21816 07/31/08 08:04 AM
    K
    K
    The comedy on the board this week is killing me! Take your act on the road people! laugh

kimck #21818 07/31/08 08:07 AM
    Tip your servers, and try the chicken!

Thank you and good night!

Kriston
    Kriston #21837 07/31/08 10:12 AM
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    It was okay. I was too tired to actually get a good bite out of him.

wink

DH and I did later theorize about the best cooking methods for an infant. My mom was horrified. DH and I thought it was hilarious.

I favored roasting, BTW. grin

Man, I could go for some Orange Ruffey!

Kriston #21839 07/31/08 10:19 AM
    Not meaning to be a killjoy when the humor is running....but back to the topic:

I happened to have loved Dr. Ruf's book and found it very useful in terms of putting my son's giftedness in perspective. This might be because I bounce between the idea of "you're not all that smart" and "how smart ARE you???!" when it comes to understanding MrWiggly.

I think that Dr. Ruf makes it clear, if not in her book then on her website, that her book and views are in fact based only on the children she has seen and evaluated. She acknowledges in the book that this is a small sample and anecdotal evidence to support her LOG. What I find interseting and most helpful is her view that you cannot label a lavel of giftedness simply by having a test score. Her book clearly shows how there is so much more to consider when dealing with a gifted child. Her tables indicate that children can have the exact same scores on an ability test and yet actually have very different needs in terms of education and parenting due to other factors in terms of temperament, motivation, early developmental profile and so on. I think it is wonderfully holistic way to view a child and his/her needs.

Dr. Ruf has done a lot of work looking at how temperament (using Meyers-Briggs and the children's version, Murphy-Meisgeier) can influence the way giftedness plays out in a child or adult's life. I know not everyone is a fan of those assessments, but I think it can be very helpful in understanding yourself and your child.

In fact, all that said, I'll tell you now that we are taking MrWiggly to see Dr. Ruf in less than two weeks. We considered several options we had for testing and finally settled on the trip to MN to have him evaluated by her. I had received feedback from several parents that evaluation with her was the most helpful assessment they had ever had for their child. After a couple of emails with her and then her assistant, looking at some of the info on her website, getting that feedback and deciding exactly what we needed to learn or know about our son, we decided she was our best bet.

I'll have to let you know how it works out, I suppose. FWIW, we have already completed the personality stuff for all of us and found that MrWiggly is an EFNP. Dr. Ruf notes that although "P" is estimated to occur in about 48% of the population, approximately 92% of the children who come to her for evaluation are "P". Interesting. Perhaps being a "gifted P" personality makes school and things harder?? We also know that I am ENFJ and my husband is INTJ/P. We are looking forward to her insights about our relationships with MrWiggly in terms of personality profiles as well as his intellectual abilities. We are also hopeful that she will be able to educate us on just what may or may not work in terms of teaching and education for MrWiggly. I'll keep you posted if you're interested!

doodlebug #21841 07/31/08 10:22 AM
    I have not yet read Dr. Ruffs book, however I have read
    A Parents Guide to Gifted Children
    By James T. Webb

I have found it very informative and helpful. I highly recomend it for both parents of all children.

Edwin #21846 07/31/08 10:32 AM
    K
    K
    That's great Doodlebug. You'll have to know how it goes!

I wish we weren't so cheap. wink I just feel at this point, the $$$ for us is better spent on homeschooling stuff and extra classes. With the free testing we've had done through the school system and research, I feel pretty comfortable with where DS falls and it doesn't appear he has anything else going on in terms of LD or 2E issues. If we were planning on negotiating a school system for the long term though it would be a whole different ball game. Although, some school systems don't honor IQ test data anyway. I'm sure we'll do some talent search stuff when we get to that age.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM