Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    G
    This literally made my day. My daughter qualified with both. Her brother, who is 2e, only had the IQ and I have been trying to figure out how to get the other score. In some ways, I feel like the 2e kids need advocacy almost more often.

N
    N
    Err... DS12 qualified with the achievement test score and a portfolio, no IQ score, when he was 6. Has it been different somewhere in the middle of that time, then?

Happy for all of you happy people, anyway! smile

S
    S
    I think the new qualifications put the emphasis on cognitive abilities. Honestly, I personally feel that is where it should be. I see a lot of high achievers, but the out of the box creative thinking that is a hallmark of cognitive giftedness is something different that should be nurtured. I work with some exceptionally gifted children, most of which spend their free time playing and creating which is what they should be doing. Not spending more time on rote academics that they are going to master eventually anyway.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    Err... DS12 qualified with the achievement test score and a portfolio, no IQ score, when he was 6. Has it been different somewhere in the middle of that time, then?

No, that was always possible. DD11 qualified (at age 8, I think) with an IQ score and a (single) achievement test score, without a portfolio. She wouldn't qualify under the current achievement rules, because she only had a high-enough score in Broad Math, but she would still qualify with the IQ score without needing a portfolio. The difference is that you couldn't have qualified before without a portfolio, and now you could (as long as he got that high achievement score in at least two categories).

I also like the new system better.

C
    C
    Yikes, I am glad I logged in today and saw this. I had put off applying for DD because we only had qualifying WISC and figured we would do achievement testing sometime in the future. This is great that we can apply now without doing the achievement testing BUT she took the WISC almost 2 years ago -august 2013 and so her qualifying test is about to expire!

It seems like the most logical person to be a nominator would be one of her teachers last year but its summer and I don't know that I can even reach them.

C
    C
    If a child qualifies it seems like it makes sense to apply as soon as practical as it seems the criteria change every year or so.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by cmguy
    If a child qualifies it seems like it makes sense to apply as soon as practical as it seems the criteria change every year or so.

Really? I'm not aware of them having changed since DD qualified in 2012.

L
    L
    I did notice that the EXPLORE criteria changed within the last 18 months or so (requiring higher scores in some cases than in the past), but I would agree that these recent changes are more substantive.

C
    C
    I'm pretty sure several of the SAT, ACT & Explore minimum scores have been adjusted upward over the last few years. Unfortunately, I did not archive the minimum score guidelines from previous years to verify.

My son qualified for DYS in the summer of 2012 as a 7th grader with WISC-IV and ACT scores. My daughter qualified this summer as a 7th grader with WISC-IV and ACT scores. I think the minimum ACT scores are higher across the board just not sure by how much.

Philip Stone
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by SAHM
    I'm happy to share the news -- also happy this is hopefully more affordable now!

Indeed! This will make a difference for our family, and our plans to have our younger child tested. (We will test sooner (just one test!), and apply sooner, than we otherwise would have.)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM