Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    I wanted to give a quick update on my dd. The person in charge of the program has been on vacation so I have been waiting to hear back. The school never was able to give me more information on the InView test score(you all were more knowledgeable!). They couldn't tell me her score was lower because it was based on her age or answer any of my questions really. They have decided to administer the WISC test to her and see how she does. They wanted to see if I would agree to that and if so contact a school Psychologist who could administer and score the test.

I am happy that they are looking for more data and not just excluding my dd so that makes me happy, but I am nervous about this test because I don't know a lot about it.

Can you guys give me pointers on what questions to ask or things to know before she takes it? I want to follow up with the administrator via email thanking them for the call today and provide any questions or expectations I have for my dd taking the test.

My specific questions:

Should I ask for a specific test(is there a long and short form)?

Are there different reports, what should I look for?

Are there qualifications I should ask for with the person administering the test?

Any advice on preparing my child for this test? She does well in a 1 on 1 environment, but I don't want her to feel stressed out about taking it.

I will ask for what score they are looking for her to get prior to the test.

Any advice or information is very much appreciated!!

Last edited by sigep1233; 07/07/15 09:45 AM.
    I
    I
    You'll want to know if the WISC-IV or WISC-V is being administered, and after testing is completed you'll want to receive a report of the subtests and test results. If the school is administering the WISC, you many not be able to select specific test administrator qualifications (such as familiarity with gifted).

Other recent posts about IQ testing include this discussion,
    and a post comparing Yermish article on test prep, and Webb article on testing here.

L
    L
    Your DD may actually enjoy the testing. FWIW, both of my DC actually enjoyed it.

I also think it is a positive sign that your school will consider other data.

The Yermish article is a good one. Best of luck!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Whether the administrator is school-based or private, he or she generally must be certified as a school psychologist (by the state DOE), or licensed as a psychologist (by the state board of licensing), or, in certain largely clinic-based situations, operating under the direct supervision of a person who is properly certified or licensed. (In the last case, the administrator is almost always master's or CAGS-level trained in his/her own right, or finishing up a doctoral internship.) It is unusual for there to be any problem with examiner qualifications for a school-based cognitive assessment.

As more than a decade separates the age of the norms, the WISC-IV will probably be a bit inflated (read a bit higher than) compared to the WISC-V. Both instruments are excellent, and are likely to be better representations of your daughter's true capacity than InView.

I would not worry about preparation. It is designed to be taken without any preparation other than the common-sense ones, such as being well-rested, fed, comfortably clothed, and relaxed. There are a variety of tasks, and a range of difficulties. It is normal to find some items easier and others more challenging. She should just try her best on all of them.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks for the responses. I think she will enjoy it. I am more concerned about telling her why she is being tested vs preparing her for the questions. It is now summer, so going to school to take a test will be odd. I have to either tell her that it is for further evaluation for the gifted program(which she is aware of because she is in the math section of it already) which may stress her out or lie to her about why she is taking the test( which makes me feel uncomfortable). I just don't want her to feel bad if she doesn't get in, but want to be honest. I know she responds well to pressure and doesn't get nervous really so I am leaning towards just being upfront. I liked the article that was shared and was thinking of just reading it to her. It gives enough information on what to expect.

We are a public school so it sounds like we will be in good hands. I will find out what version she will be taking when I email the administrator.

Do you know how long it takes to receive a copy of the report? Are there certain scores I should ask them to include or is this test pretty much administered the same way for every child.

I thought there were short versions of some of the testing, but cannot find information on that for this one so maybe I am confusing it.

I
    I
    There is a short form. See Hoagies Gifted Education Page on Tests and use the quicklinks for Wechsler(WISC).

You might want to ask about the anticipated length of the testing, any breaks, and whether you ought to send a snack and beverage for your child. smile

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    There is a short version, called the WASI or WASI-II, but if they said WISC, it is doubtful that the short version is involved.

I usually tell children that the testing helps us to understand how they learn best, so that schools and teachers can teach them in a way that is more suited to the way they learn. This, BTW, has value whether or not she is ultimately enrolled in the GT program.

The core of the test is administered the same way to every child, but examiners can make clinical decisions about substituting certain subtests (such as when there is reason to believe that the standard subtest is not a good reflection of the child's ability, or the subtest is otherwise "spoiled" by nonstandard conditions). The main index score that you will certainly receive is the FSIQ, which is the global measure. You should also receive the VCI, PRI, WMI, PSI (or VCI, VSI, FRI, if the WISC-V). There are also two alternative index scores that can be calculated--one easily, and one only with access to more obscure tables. The GAI would be the one which any examiner can calculate, and the one most likely to be of interest for GT purposes. This is a combination of the VCI & PRI (or VCI, VSI, FRI). (The CPI is used less often, as it needs separate tables.) The WISC-V has many more options for ancillary index scores outside of the core subtests, in addition to the GAI: WMI, PSI, NVI, CPI, QRI, AWMI. A handful of pre-reading related index scores are also available, but not likely to be administered in this case. The WMI and PSI used to be included automatically, but no longer are, on the -V, as only one WM and one PS subtest are needed for the FSIQ.

I expect this is very confusing. The bottom line is, you really want: FSIQ, GAI, VCI, PRI (or VSI, FRI). The others will be of interest mainly if they are discrepant from these. You can describe these as the IQ and all available index scores, including the GAI.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Testing time is typically an hour or so, but may be longer with a GT or highly conscientious child, or with many breaks.

P
    P
    I can't think of any technical questions to ask that haven't already been mentioned, but I would ask *when* they will test her (what part of her school day). Our elementary school didn't let parents know ahead of time (or students), and my ds was pulled out for testing during an elective that he'd waited and waited and waited to participate in. He was SO BUMMED! I'm still to this day amazed that he didn't totally tank his school testing.

Best wishes,

polarbear

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    I can't think of any technical questions to ask that haven't already been mentioned, but I would ask *when* they will test her (what part of her school day). Our elementary school didn't let parents know ahead of time (or students), and my ds was pulled out for testing during an elective that he'd waited and waited and waited to participate in. He was SO BUMMED! I'm still to this day amazed that he didn't totally tank his school testing.

Best wishes,

polarbear

That was one of my concerns with preparing her/ talking to her about the test. It is summer break so she is going to school just to be tested. She is going to be wondering why and I didn't want to stress her out about knowing it is dealing with placement in the ELA section of the gifted program. She is already in the math section.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM