Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    My DD just turned 11 and will be starting 6th grade in the fall with gifted pullout. She is looking at colleges already and studying the programs to see what she might be interested in. She would like to go on college visits but I have no idea how to talk to a university about this or go about getting it approved with her current school. I know some of you have been through this so any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    I
    I
    For a student 5+ years from making a college application decision, you may wish to guide her toward extensive web research and informal college visits, which typically take place at times when the college courses are in session and your child's middle school is not in session. The Davidson Database has several articles on college visits, including: The College Visit, which touches on informal college visits.

Web research might include:
    * college websites (including schedule of information sessions and campus tours),
    * the US Department of Labor - Bureau of Labor Statistics - Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH),
    * the College Board "big future" College Majors & Career Search.

Because much can change in 5 years, you may wish to help her organize printed copies of her research and college information in a ring binder tabbed by year -or- careers/majors of interest -or- college. This may help you both see any trends over time... in her changing interests... in programs offered at colleges of interest... in lists of classes which comprise those programs.

B
    B
    Looking at colleges in 6th grade is awesome! DD started talking about colleges about then and I wish we had worked more visits in earlier. To go on a college tour you just sign up on the website and go--no age or grade requirements. You can schedule it for summer or during school breaks. You will get a different flavor than the "overnight" stays offered to High School Juniors, but it still gives you a look at the general vibe of the school. In 8th grade we found it helpful to look at the requirements for enrollment at different universities, and different majors, to plan high school classes. If your DD will be taking high school classes in middle school, the middle school classes should be included in the planning. If your local high school has an awards night, you could attend it during 7th and 8th grade to get a feel for the achievements deemed noteworthy.

C
    C
    My son was in 5th grade last year and an outside service organization put together a program that provided several assemblies for 5th graders about planning for your future education and some about money. Then they took them to a local state college (it used to be a community college) for a tour. They took them to a vocational school (for like culinary, some computer/IT, hvac, and a bunch of medical programs, and probably some I am forgetting). I think the idea was to talk to them about taking middle school seriously so that they developed good habits so that when they got to high school they already had goals that were attainable because they hadn't wasted middle school's opportunity to learn the executive functioning skills and attendance and all those soft skills. But they wanted to inspire them.

My older son's middle school (when he was there) has an AVID program which the school program (not some outside service group) does similar things. They take field trips to colleges. AVID is a specific program for a specific population though. My son was a teacher assistant for one of the AVID teachers so he did stow away on several of the field trips though not a real AVID student.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks for all the info. It really helps!

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    I
    I
    Here is a free online college prep guide which starts at 8th grade, created by University of Iowa.

This book discusses college-prep plans for 7th to 10th grade students.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM