I meant to respond to this but must have got sidetracked.

I also have a DS with really, really low processing speed. He was first tested at 6.5 and it was in the single digits. They recommended retesting again in a couple years which we recently did and it is still really low (I can't remember the exact number but somewhere in the 10-15%ile range).

IRL this has meant challenges with writing. He is now learning to type and will be doing more and more school work on a laptop going forward. Grade 1 was a big challenge because all of the kids were starting to write and he was lagging behind. It definitely impacted his self image as "the smart kid". We talked a lot about how he was still smart in a lot of things but that writing was going to be a big challenge for him. We also talked a lot about how everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, etc. This is a continuous discussion point in our house.

We have investigated a few possible reasons for the slow processing but haven't found a root cause yet. He is learning to accommodate.

I will also say that our first round of testing turned out to be an underestimate of his strengths. Over the past couple of years I've learned a lot about LOG, asynchronous development and gifted kids in general. The first round of testing started us down the right path but his second round of testing affirmed what my gut has been saying for years and made a lot more sense of it. Use the testing as a guide but don't be afraid to follow your gut and his lead if it is pointing elsewhere.