Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Q
    Q
    Well, physically traveling to a school with higher grade levels is not possible in our district. There are just too many liability and logistic issues. However, there are other options. For example, the district can hire part time teachers to travel to the school to teach once a week while the student work independently the other four days. There could be a resource teacher at the home school just to address occasional computer or work space issues. There is also the online option. However, be aware of state laws and district rules/policies. For example, while lots of mathy kids in my state use AOPS courses, they cannot be used to satisfy credit requirements at the secondary level (grades 6-12) due to strict laws governing online providers in addition to the "certification" hurdle.

Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    Well, physically traveling to a school with higher grade levels is not possible in our district. There are just too many liability and logistic issues. However, there are other options. For example, the district can hire part time teachers to travel to the school to teach once a week while the student work independently the other four days. There could be a resource teacher at the home school just to address occasional computer or work space issues. There is also the online option. However, be aware of state laws and district rules/policies. For example, while lots of mathy kids in my state use AOPS courses, they cannot be used to satisfy credit requirements at the secondary level (grades 6-12) due to strict laws governing online providers in addition to the "certification" hurdle.

AoPS has acreditation from a Western Schools group I forget which now and it is one of its appeals to us. I am surprised to hear that your school is unaware of this.

Become what you are
    Q
    Q
    Madeinuk, "accreditation" is insufficient if the legislature has passed other laws that require additional hurdles in specific instances, such as governing vendors who provide solely online instruction. I know it seems silly when applied to a top-notch reasonably priced program like AOPS, but at the same time it would be a dangerous precedent to exempt application of the law to favorite vendors. After all, if the vendors want to do business with the schools, they can pay the fees to the state and/or district to undergo the vetting/monitoring process as many have done. Alternatively, the district can provide live instructional staff to supplement online instructional programs.

I am in a huge district (well over 100,000) that employs quite a few attorneys so tends to be on top of relevant legislation. Mostly I am glad because who wants to find out that their child won't graduate because some credits have been invalidated. Our specific middle school probably aren't aware of either AOPS accreditation or relevant laws RE online providers, but fortunately every acceleration must be approved by the central office so I tend to deal with knowledgeable people who can cite relevant statutes.

I am in a huge district (well over 100,000) that employs quite a few attorneys so tends to be on top of relevant legislation.
    Sounds like a bunch of huey to me - how does it work for kids transferring in from Western states then?

Become what you are
    I
    I
    Yes, I also wonder about consistency, specifically how Quantum2003's school would handle placement of students coming from other states or districts who may have taken courses from online providers who are not "certified" by Quantum2003's locality?

Some may say that local legislation to "certify" online providers (which are already accredited) sounds like it may be a duplication of effort. What is the intent of such legislation? What purpose does the "certification" serve?

S
    S
    Certification is officially to protect students from questionable providers. In actuality, it provides revenue to the states from fees and is heavily lobbied for by local teachers unions as a barrier to entry for competition.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by SAHM
    Certification is officially to protect students from questionable providers.
    Yes, this would seem to be a duplication of "accreditation" efforts.

In actuality, it provides revenue to the states from fees and is heavily lobbied for by local teachers unions as a barrier to entry for competition.
    Interesting how often there is a public reason "for the children", and an underlying monetary reason.
    Cui bono, who stands to benefit?

Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    I am in a huge district (well over 100,000) that employs quite a few attorneys so tends to be on top of relevant legislation.
    Sounds like a bunch of huey to me - how does it work for kids transferring in from Western states then?

Well, I am not affiliated with the school district or the State DOE so can't really answer with any level of authority or confidence. However, standards and requirements have never been uniform across the country so that students from different states do not attain the same level of education but some level of "full faith and credit" has always been the norm in the past in other contexts. As such, I would assume that past promotions will mostly be honored while future promotions require meeting our state and local standards. I did have a neighbor who was certified to teach in her former state who met with the principal and ended up retaining one of her children due to the differences in standards/curriculum. The bottom line was that if she hadn't held back her child, she expected to have to retain her at the end of the school year.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003

As you say you have dealt with them before, I am sure you are aware of this, but being a public sector lawyer myself (not in the US, but these things are the same the world over), let me remind you that they will be expected to be picky about which legislation the are on top on. So it's always a good idea to be on top of things yourself...as you appear to be.

About your question: again, not in the US, but we will be in your situation next year, with DS1 being in fourth grade in elementary school, and fifth grade will be in the middle school next door. SSA in math has sort of worked, a bit, for this last year, but I cannot think of any way to make it work next year, as scheduling between elementary schools and middle schools is just too different, there is no way we'd be permitted to let him just walk there on his own and hang out in fifth grade classes there, and tracking rules being such efficient gatekeepers. We looked at the matter from all sides and have decided it's either coast for another year in fourth, with all the after school enrichment we can do, or a full on grade skip into fifth grade in the gifted program across the city right away. Because he has already been accelerated once (early entrance) and the school was sceptical, and most importantly because he was not ready to leave his current class, we decided against.

He is complaining again, about boredom, the repetition, the pace (we're not off for summer yet)...I now remind him, gently, that it was his choice and why, not in a I told you so way, but in a you have agency and have used it way. Fourth grade may be even worse, or it may be better, as supposedly standards are to be raised to prepare kids for middle school and facilitate tracking choices (they work the kids hard, and those who are left behind will not make the GPA for higher tracks, it's cruel but effective as a sorting mechanism). One of the reasons we feel we can risk it is that we do have a good option with the gifted program starting in fifth, we hear that even PG kids are happy with the program, so it's all a matter of biding our time.

Has your child been accelerated before, ie a full grade skip, making him very young in his grade already? Will you have other acceleration options, such as accelerated classes for kids who test into them, come sixth grade and up? Is he truly so lopsided in his profile that he is challenged already in his current grade in the subjects you haven't sought SSA for? Because if not, you may want to look at the full grade skip again.

Last edited by Tigerle; 07/04/15 07:38 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Tigerle
    ... tracking rules being such efficient gatekeepers. ... prepare kids for middle school and facilitate tracking choices (they work the kids hard, and those who are left behind will not make the GPA for higher tracks, it's cruel but effective as a sorting mechanism.
    What makes the tracking cruel? Do higher tracks tend to consist of "gifted" kids? Do higher tracks consist predominantly of one or more ethnicities, or on the other hand do one or more ethnicities seem to be underrepresented? Are there different socio-economic demographics among the tracks? Do kids with learning disabilities receive scaffolding or supports to aid in their achievement? Can kids move up a track if their achievement and performance improve? Do kids move down a track if their achievement or performance lags? Do parents and students have input into choosing a track, or is this determined by others, through examining the grades? Are there quotas and/or lotteries, or do all students who meet qualifications get to study in the top track? Do families "red shirt" kids to raise the chances that a child may be in an upper track? Does the assigned track indicate a child's further education and/or job prospects? If a family moved would the child automatically be assigned to the same track at the receiving school, or would it depend upon the mix of students at the receiving school?

All these factors may only impact the OP in the near term if/when the OP's area ushers in the similar type of tracking/sorting used in your country, but as we all partake in the global economy, thinking long-term it may be helpful to be aware of the educational experiences of other children who will one day compete for the same jobs.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM