Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm sure this gets asked all the time, I do apologize for the lame question. smile

DS has qualifying achievement score for total achievement, but his broad reading missed the mark at 144. I'm wondering if I should still apply, or if it's a pretty hard line as far as qualifying. It sounds like they really don't want to be evaluating portfolios anymore, but this may be a case where it would help?

Any experiences?

I can spell, I just can't type on my iPad.
    I
    I
    This thread, DYS Qualification Changed, began about 15 minutes after your post, and may answer your question. smile

Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Not really. smile But thank you!

E
    E
    Under the old system, you only needed one qualifying achievement score, but now it looks like you need two. At one qualifying and one a single point under, I would go ahead and submit with some portfolio items.

Hi Elizabeth - I read it differently. It seems to me that now you only need a qualifying IQ score OR achievement score where it used to be both. No? Sue

L
    L
    It would appear that you could qualify with EITHER IQ or achievement (used to require both), but under the old system, only ONE achievement composite under 145+ was needed for the individual achievement tests (in addition to qualifying IQ or portfolio). The group tests (ACT, EXPLORE, SAT) criteria appear similar, if not the same.

I would expect that these new criteria could substantially expand the program. I'd be curious about the thoughts behind the changes, as well.

Also, it will be interesting to see how this is interpreted: more strictly because only ONE criteria needs to be met (IQ OR achievement) and portfolios are no longer "criteria"; or LESS strictly, trying to capture more possibly PG children.

Q
    Q
    No experience as far as borderline scores but DS did join DYS a few years back. Notwithstanding the language RE "minimum score," which remains the same, there had been many posters over the years who were accepted with below "minimum" scores, so your DS probably have as good a chance as before the change. I think that you might as well gather up any other above-level type assessments or stellar work samples and just go for it. Good luck.

Amber Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you!

I'm going to keep gathering materials, as I was going to apply with achievement and portfolio before the change.

Q
    Q
    It will actually be considerably harder for the older kids to qualify with SAT scores because you need to meet at least two rather than just one score ( CR + M, CR + Composite, or M + Composite). This means you can't just be extraordinarily in one area (M or CR) but at least excellent at the second area (M or CR). I think a similar change for ACT as well as you now need at least three scores.

It also looks like it will be harder to qualify with the WISC V versus the WISC IV. Aside from the fact that a 145 on WISC V has to be significantly more difficult to achieve (Flynn effect, etc.), you can't just get in on a single index score like Verbal Comprehension on WISC IV as you can previously.

The one type of score (IQ or Achievement) versus two types of scores is not so different than applicants submitting one type of score and then resorting to a portfolio in the past. Although on balance, I do agree that it might open up the program considerably, especially for the youngest applicants. It was my understanding that the youngest kids often get considerably inflated scores on WIAT and the Woodcock Johnson Achievement test.

At a quick glance, I think that it will raise the caliber of older applicants (7th grade & above), while reducing the standards somewhat for the very young ones (early elementary) and perhaps not so different for the in between ages.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by suevv
    Hi Elizabeth - I read it differently. It seems to me that now you only need a qualifying IQ score OR achievement score where it used to be both. No? Sue

You only need IQ or achievement now, but if you use achievement, you need two qualifying scores, not one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM