Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #218697 06/24/15 05:22 AM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Hello everyone,

This is my second time writing in here. My 3 years old son is obsessed with iPad and iPhones and computers in general ( I guess like any toddler). He is obsessed with numbers so games like slot machines ( thanks to my mother in law lol) and number videos are his favorites. He loves to tells us what number the game is showing him. 1.247.370 and stuff like that. Anyways, how much technology is okay for a gifted child this young to watch?

You'll find expert advice from a variety of sources that says anywhere from "1-2 hours daily MAX" to "none whatsoever."

I disagree with the experts, because what they really seem to be concerned with is how technology use displaces time to spend on other important developments, like social/emotional growth, communication, motor function, etc. This means a more nuanced view is required, because how much time is spent on the technology is not nearly as important as how that time is spent, and how it's affecting time allotted to other important growth areas.

If a parent or another child is actively engaged in the technology activity with that child, and it's not strictly a passive experience (they're both just silently watching), then the social/emotional and communication needs are still being met while technology is being utilized. If such a shared technology experience also involves educational material, I wouldn't look at it in the same light as reading together.

I
    I
    Welcome!

If you do a quick web search on "child obsession with numbers" you may find a range of information... from the changing obsessions and interests of children in general, to lists of gifted traits, to lists of Asperger's or Autism or ASD characteristics.

Parents may wish to keep note of a child's milestones, just in case a diagnosis, and/or intervention and/or remediation and/or accommodation might be something their child would need or benefit from in the future.

S
    S
    I'd say it is really child-specific. Some kids will watch a little and then move on to something else. Some kids would happily watch all day to the point that they forget to eat, potty, etc. I have a child who admittedly watches more than the recommended amount now at 4. I police content heavily. There are some shows he can watch and be fine (NOVA, Cosmos, some PBS kids shows, tree fu tom). There are other shows, where even watching a little causes significant trouble for him self regulating. If he watches anything on Disney Jr or Nick Jr, he literally has difficulty behaving for 1-2 days, and it has consistently been this way for years. Other kids can watch the same show with no visible change. So just keep an eye on what your specific child is doing and how he reacts.

If possible, use Netflix or dvds so you can skip commercials. They are just awful.

Also, balance... We read for hours each day and my son is practically constantly in motion. After a 4 hour hike, if he asks for some shows, I don't really worry about it too much anymore. I was stricter when he was younger.

I am very strict on content though. I don't allow shows with behavior that wouldn't be acceptable in my home. In shows with villains, they must be pretty mild (Wild Kratts ok, but no shows with truly bratty kids and no violence for us.). For what it's worth, I also heavily police book content at this age.

S
    S
    I guess a better way to put it is that I look at it kind of similar to the way I look at food. I don't have limits on nutritious food. If he wants to eats avocados and watch NOVA all day long, that's fine -- eventually his body and brain say they're full and he moves on. Junk food or what I consider the screen time equivalent is a sometimes treat. He can have a bit, that's fine, but if he gets too much doesn't feel well. Certain things we consider too unhealthy and are off limits (some allergies here, so my son understands this pretty well for someone his age).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM