Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    We are scheduled to meet with our school district Superintendent soon regarding our request that our son be able to go through a process for determining if early entry to Kindergarten would be appropriate.
    ....Except that...we are in California and there is no such process at our local school AND children under 5 are not permitted to attend K.
    I'm curious if anyone has tried this in California. What I am asking of them to consider our request by going through what process they find reasonable, knowing full well that they will say there is no process and that they do not recieve funding for children under age 5.
    The school district tested him and he scored 99.5%ile for his FSIQ and 99.9%ile on a other assessments.
    Our local school board policy states that early entry to K is possible on a case by case basis. I think this may be outdated or there never is a case by case basis.
    I'm hoping the Superintendent will tell me to take it to the school board, which I will and perhaps they can grant an early entry.
    We plan on starting him when he turns 5 (in February) as our last option (and likely only option).
    Has anyone asked their local school board for early entry?
    Thank you

G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Great suggestion! My understanding is that in CA, you cannot enter 1st until age 6. So I do need clarification on that.

HID Offline
    It doesn't hurt to try. I regret not having tried to get early K entrance for my DD. In retrospect I think now maybe I could have home schooled her when she was 5 and tried to start her in 2nd when she was 6. I don't know if that would have worked, but it's an idea.

B
    B
    I don't know of anyone who did early elementary to K in my CA school district. I didn't even try. The only work around I've heard of what to keep the kid in K & 1st in private school and THEN move them to the public school. There are a few private Montessori schools in my area that go up to 1st grade although it takes a bit of convincing to get them to enter their K class early.

Good Luck. If you have a meeting with the Superintendent perhaps you have a chance.

C
    C
    I read up on the CA law. What a hard-line mess for a gifted or advanced child who happens to be born after Sept. 1. You have the advantage of test results that show that your child is outside the norm. It's very reasonable to go into the meeting asking what they would propose given the situation. Personally, I would be positive and go in with an attitude of "how can we meet this child's atypical educational needs together?" Then see what happens. It's really a roll of the proverbial dice. So much depends on the superintendent. I would try to get it handled outside the school board, though. No sense involving people who don't know your child nor are likely to understand highly gifted children in this decision if you don't have to...

Is the funding piece for the full school year? Or does the school get the money beginning at the time he turns five? It looks as though enrolling him at five in Feb. would be possible... can you get a copy of the fall curriculum to go through with him ahead of time? The whole think seems odd, but no one ever said laws make sense all the time.

Last edited by ConnectingDots; 07/01/15 08:24 AM.
    B
    B
    Another thing you could do is pay for private school for a year and then transfer, putting him directly into first grade fall 2016.

Our state has a policy that kids born in the first part of the school year can go into K early (fall birthdays) if they have certain test scores which the parent pays for themselves. DD has an Oct. birthday. I didn't know how advanced she was or I probably would have tried to get her in early. But we waited and then K was a disaster where she was the only kid in the class that could read. So we accelerated her into 1st in November of that year. The district had more rigid cut-offs though (for acceleration vs. early entry), requiring the child to score 98 percent accurate on all tests for material that was already covered and will miss. It would have been so much easier to get her in early. It wouldn't be an option even for you here, though, because Feb. is too late. I'm not sure if exceptions are ever made.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Looks like the clearest route (see excerpt from CDE below) is enrollment in private K for a year, followed by admission to public K according to age, with immediate promotion to first on district & parent agreement.

First Grade Enrollment

California law requires a child to be six years old on or before September 1 for the 2014–15 school year and each school year thereafter to be legally eligible for first grade EC Section 48010.

A child who was legally enrolled in an out-of-state kindergarten for one school year (using that state's requirements), but who does not meet California age eligibility for first grade, may, with parental consent, be enrolled by the district in first grade (EC Section 48011).

A child who was not age-eligible for kindergarten (that is, the child turned five after September 1 in the 2014-15 school year or thereafter) and who attended a California private school kindergarten for a year is viewed by the CDE as not legally enrolled in kindergarten, pursuant to EC Section 48000 requirements. Therefore, this child, upon enrollment in public school, is enrolled in kindergarten, assessed, and may (but is not required to) be immediately promoted to first grade if the child meets the following State Board of Education criteria, pursuant to Title 5, Section 200:

The child is at least five years of age.
    The child has attended a public school kindergarten for a long enough time to enable school personnel to evaluate the child's ability.
    The child is in the upper 5 percent of the child's age group in terms of general mental ability.
    The physical development and social maturity of the child are consistent with the child's advanced mental ability.
    The parent or guardian has filed a written statement with the district that approves placement in first grade.
    A statement, signed by the district and parent/guardian, is placed in the official school records for these five-year-olds who have been advanced to first grade (EC Section 48011). This action prevents a subsequent audit exception for first grade placement of an age-ineligible student.

Considerations. Young children who are placed in kindergarten or first grade may feel stress as they try to achieve academic expectations and relate to older children. Parents/guardians and early childhood educators are the best judges regarding what may be gained by acceleration and whether it is worth the price. CDE recommends that educators and district employees explain to parents/guardians of under-age children the following:

The academic, social, physical, and emotional readiness required for kindergarten or first grade
    The rigorous nature of the academic standards
    The potential for harm to a child's disposition to learn by inappropriate acceleration, and,
    The important concepts, skills, and knowledge imparted at each stage of a child's education, including preschool.
    Often it is helpful if school or district staff members arrange for parents/guardians to read content standards for kindergarten through first grade, visit classrooms, and observe instruction. Districts may provide additional information for parents/guardian.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    G
    GGG Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    Thank you all for replying. Aeh, thank you for your input as well.

Val Offline
    There are other options.

Remember that schools can use state law to force your child to repeat kindergarten. However, they can't use it to force a child to repeat second grade. I'm not sure about first grade, because I can't find much information --- first-to-second may be a grey area, or it may be that everyone just moves to second grade. I don't know.

Once a child has been through second grade, they can only retain him because of poor academic achievement (as measured by grades and classroom achievement) or poor standardized test scores.

Schools have to create promotion and retention policies based on California education code. Search for "retain" in your browser to highlight.

Here's a sample of a school district policy that's been formatted for easy reading, unlike the CA education code.

See also here for an explanation of CA law.

My daughter skipped kindergarten at a very small private school in our area. We moved her to a bigger school for 3rd grade, and the principal had no choice but to promote her. His exact words were, "We're stuck with it."

I'd be wary about assuming that a child who had finished a private kindergarten would be moved quickly into first grade. Schools can be very skeptical about this kind of thing. For example, my eldest was offered a skip to fourth grade at a private school, but we had been thinking about moving him. The public schools in our area all said no to a skip, except for one, which said, "Well, we can put him in 3rd grade for at least 6 weeks and then decide." This was their way of saying no. Moving after 6 weeks would have been too disruptive for him as a new student, and they knew it.

Not all schools are so narrow-minded about acceleration, so my advice would be to call them and ask. Tell them something like, "Little Joey finished kindergarten at a private school, and he turns 6 in February. What's your policy about promotion to first grade?" If you don't like that answer, ask, "What if we kept him in private school for another year? What's about promotion to second grade?"

Some schools are wonderful and will try to work with you. Some have blanket NO ACCELERATION, EVER policies. Others are in between. My advice is to find out where your local principal fits on that spectrum and plan accordingly.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    I'd be wary about assuming that a child who had finished a private kindergarten would be moved quickly into first grade. Schools can be very skeptical about this kind of thing. For example, my eldest was offered a skip to fourth grade at a private school, but we had been thinking about moving him. The public schools in our area all said no to a skip, except for one, which said, "Well, we can put him in 3rd grade for at least 6 weeks and then decide." This was their way of saying no. Moving after 6 weeks would have been too disruptive for him as a new student, and they knew it.

Not all schools are so narrow-minded about acceleration, so my advice would be to call them and ask. Tell them something like, "Little Joey finished kindergarten at a private school, and he turns 6 in February. What's your policy about promotion to first grade?" If you don't like that answer, ask, "What if we kept him in private school for another year? What's about promotion to second grade?"

Some schools are wonderful and will try to work with you. Some have blanket NO ACCELERATION, EVER policies. Others are in between. My advice is to find out where your local principal fits on that spectrum and plan accordingly.
    Here in MA, we know of a family with a bright girl having an autumn birthday who put her in private school for KG and 1st grade, intending to transition to public school for 2nd grade, as two of our children have done. When it was time for her to transfer, the principal strongly encouraged them to put her in 1st grade because the 2nd grade class sizes were getting too large! They agreed, and their daughter was bored in 1st grade. I guess the moral is not to take anything for granted when it comes to acceleration.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM