Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
    ElizabethN #218981 06/30/15 12:49 PM
    U
    U
    Thanks! Might work. 14/16 is still big on her. I'm sometimes able to find her a women's size 0/2 or XS that fits well. Poor kid needs to grow.

ElizabethN #218982 06/30/15 12:51 PM
    C
    C
    FWIW, I changed my college major in my junior year when I realized that my odds of having to fight gender discrimination on a daily basis (for being female in a male-dominated field) weren't worth the intrinsic benefits of the job. I decided that I was not willing, at 21, to be the one who fought that battle for change each day. Fortunately for that field, other women did and the balance has evened out.

I share this to say that the decisions are real. Everyone gets to decide for themselves what they are willing to put up with, but we should be working toward removing such issues wherever we can. Work is difficult enough without that ridiculousness.

ElizabethN #218985 06/30/15 02:20 PM
    B
    B
    The Davidson site has just added an Interview with Janette Boazman on c...itive development between boys and girls. If male and female brains differ, it should not be surprising that they tend to specialize in different fields.

Gender and education research has begun to show a mismatch between boys’ and girls’ learning brains and how education is being delivered. Educators and education researchers have spent many years researching and working on correcting negative gender biases toward girls. Finding ways to have gender equity for girls in our schools has been an important focus. However, statistics indicate that approximated 70 percent of Ds and Fs and half of As are earned by boys, 66 percent of learning disability diagnoses are dispensed to boys, boys represent 90 percent of discipline referrals, 80 percent of high school dropouts are male, and males make up fewer than 40 percent of college students (Gurian, 2004). This information gives indication that it is important to give more attention to what the boys in schools need as well.

The education profession as a whole needs more male teachers. Approximately 76 percent of teachers in the United States are female. This means that roughly 76 percent of classrooms have classroom routines, instruction, assignments, projects, assessments, classroom management, and behavior expectations, that are created, planned, and implemented through the female learning brain lens. This is good news for female students but not necessarily good news for male students as their learning needs may not always be met. Recognizing the differences in brain development can help educators find solutions to some of the challenges we face in classrooms.

The function and development of the lobes in the cerebral cortex are different for boys and girls. Girls have statistically significant differences in cortical development and use of the frontal, temporal, and parietal lobes of the brain. For girls, the frontal lobe develops more quickly than the frontal lobe of boys which means that girls make fewer impulsive decisions and girls more readily and efficiently use the frontal, temporal, and parietal lobes of the brain. Boys show a significant difference in the use of the cortex of the cerebellum, the part of the brain that receives information from the sensory systems, the spinal cord, and other parts of the brain that regulate motor movement. It coordinates voluntary movement. This gives reason to the difference in movement by boys in the classroom.

Neuroprocessing maps of the brain show lateralization of the boy brain activity with a pronounced difference from girls in the amount of cross hemisphere activity. A girl’s corpus callosum is up to 25 percent larger than a boy’s by adolescence. This allows more crosstalk in the brain which translates in to girls being better at multitasking, transitioning, and paying attention. Girls have stronger neural connectors than boys in their temporal lobes. These stronger neural connectors in the female brain allow for more sensually detailed memory storage, better listening skills, better discrimination among tones of voice, and greater use of detail in writing assignments. A girl’s hippocampus is larger increasing the girls’ learning advantage, especially in language arts. On the whole, the complexities of reading and writing come easier to the female brain and the female brain tends to drive toward stimulants that involve complex texture, tonality and mental activity.

Where the female brain uses the cortical areas of the brain for verbal and emotive functioning, the male brain uses these areas for spatial and mechanical functioning. This makes boys want to move objects through space – balls, model airplanes, their arms, their legs…. Boys have less serotonin and oxytocin, the primary human bonding chemical, than girls. This makes them more likely to be physically impulsive and less likely to combat their natural impulsiveness which makes it hard for boys to sit still and easy for them to turn and chat with a friend. The boy brain needs to enter a rest state in order to recharge, renew, and reorient itself. This rest state may look like falling asleep, tapping pencils or fidgeting in order to stay attentive. The male brain is better suited for diagrams, pictures, symbols, abstractions and objects moving through space than for the monotony of words. The more words a teacher uses during the lesson, the more likely a boy is to “zone out” or go into a rest state.

ElizabethN #218991 06/30/15 03:57 PM
    A
    A
    Hm, no "ignore" function huh …

Anyway, this site looks cool: http://www.amightygirl.com

Bostonian #218994 06/30/15 04:36 PM
    I
    I
    While the Janette Boazman article linked upthread mentions brain differences between genders (nature), at the same time, the article encourages creating environments which are friendly to the success of both genders (nurture): "The education profession as a whole needs more male teachers. Approximately 76 percent of teachers in the United States are female. This means that roughly 76 percent of classrooms have classroom routines, instruction, assignments, projects, assessments, classroom management, and behavior expectations, that are created, planned, and implemented through the female learning brain lens."

Bear in mind that while brain differences may exist statistically, the difference may not be true for each individual; Attempting to force all to match the behavioral statistics is detrimental stereotyping.

The book mindset, mentioned in the OP, says this about gender stereotypes:
    Originally Posted by mindset book, p161
    Boys who believed in the fixed mindset showed a boost in self-esteem when they endorsed the stereotypes.

AvoCado #219218 07/07/15 06:58 PM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by AvoCado
    Hm, no "ignore" function huh …

Anyway, this site looks cool: http://www.amightygirl.com

We love A Mighty Girl! I've found many great reads for DD8 there over the years (along with the book/annotated bibliography Once Upon a Heroine).

ElizabethN #219219 07/07/15 07:15 PM
    My DD doesn't even realise that she is a 'girl' in any negative sense of that word. She has a lot of self confidence intellectually and I intend to do my best to help her maintain it.

Last edited by madeinuk; 07/07/15 07:15 PM.

Become what you are
    Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM