Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hello all, Hoping some of you can guide/help me on wording for my son's IEP. He has dysgraphia and gets a one-to-one scribe for part of the day to help with all of his writing. Which is great! However, my concern is that he does need to be moving towards working without a scribe. He gets typing lessons in OT at school to that end. However, I feel like they need to incorporate more ways to help him "write" and complete worksheets independently... I think he needs "scaffolding" (I think that is the word for what he needs???) assistance with decent apps/technology to gradually phase out the constant scribe. Problem is that drawing text boxes is so frustrating and time consuming, it's just easier with a scribe. We need to find better ways then! Snaptype just updated and it's nice - you take a pic of the worksheet and on can just type right on the 'picture' - no text boxes.. you can then email it, save it , print it, etc. We need stuff like that! And yes we have had an AT eval frown Not only do I want the tech/apps - I want him to be assisted until he is competent...

So, iep team wants to know what I want added to "parental concerns" section and that is what I want added. Would someone please help me with the wording? This is what I have as a rough draft:

"provide (child) with technology and apps, as well as daily assistance and instruction on the use of said technology and apps, to help (child) become more independent in writing and rely less on a scribe. An example of one such app would be "snap type" for worksheets."

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    School systems differ, of course, but I think what you have written combines parental concerns, accommodations, and even some goals and objectives. Which is good, because you want your concerns to be reflected in all of those places, and a good IEP can draw clear lines between the parental concerns & child's disability needs, and the accommodations & goals. However, my concern would be that these are legally defensible only if they are in the accommodations and goals, so if they are not already there, a discussion about that might be in order.

On your wording: perhaps something like "work toward independent use of assistive technology for writing." What would you hope to see him accomplish in a year? That's usually the time frame for parental concerns. If you don't think independence is likely in a year, a variation might be, "with direct instruction, become proficient in supported use of assistive technology (e.g., Snaptype, speech-to-text, keyboarding), with the long-term goal of independent use of AT for writing."

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Oh Thank you, Aeh! It's hard because I do not want them to take away his scribing accommodations (which they do in a second ... in fact, every time they re-write the IEP they leave those (the only accommodations that REALLY matter) out in the hopes that I won't notice. Every time I have to say "uh put those back in please!" In the past, when I have expressed my desire that he should be gradually moving to more independence with technology, teachers have refused to allow him scribing (in clear violation of the iep) and plop him on the computer every chance they get even though he wasn't/isn't a proficient typist and or doesn't do well with the scanning, etc. THEN they complain he takes too long! He had taken to hiding in the bathroom because the thought of trying to get his work done on the computer was overwhelming due to his poor typing and tech skills. I am not kidding. So, I have to be careful. However, he will not want to have a scribe following him constantly for the rest of his school career. Nor do I think that is good. He needs to very gradually and with good support move towards more independence ... the school simply can not seem to get that right. The scribe fills out worksheets for him that are just one word fill in the blanks. I can not seem to get a balance! He is going into 4th grade so I want the next two years to focus on more progress in this area so that in middle school he could do a lot more without a scribe...

Anyway, I really like your wording! Thank you!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM